Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 05:07 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,501,202 times

Advertisements

^^^If you have a garage you need to run a fan pointing at the floor and leave the car doors open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 05:36 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
What you need to do is this - pull the carpet and you need to remove foam pad underneath and let them dry up. If you do not remove foam pad underneath it's not going to be dry no matter how hard you try from up above. The other thing I would do is run a fan so that it dries quickly. This may help (although it's for toyota but most stuff is similar) -

DIY: Wet carpet and odor removal - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
I appreciate the link, it looks way to hard for me to do. I am considering having a professional replace the carpet as soon as we discover the source of the leak.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:42 PM

Unfortunately, I do not have a garage. I will be repeating the shop vac tomorrow several times. And I have the diapers lining the floor right now, and I'm anxious to see if they wick up some of the moisture.

I will run a fan in the car tomorrow in between the shop vac/kitty litter treatments.

Tues I will be dropping it off at the glass guy, who will check the windshield....and will also check a couple other places for me, even if he has to refer me elsewhere for the proper repairs.

Then depending on repairs....I will then check on carpet replacement if I don't think it is dry. A bit worried....sure hope it works out.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:43 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,259 times
AC drain is clogged. Even in the winter you could be energizing the AC compressor for defrost/demist purposes.

Don in Austin

Old 01-20-2017, 08:35 AM

306 posts, read 364,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
AC drain is clogged. Even in the winter you could be energizing the AC compressor for defrost/demist purposes.

Don in Austin
That would've been my first guess, but that's one thing that her(?) mechanic should've checked.

If it's the heater coil, you'd be losing coolant. That and coolant has an almost sweet smell that's hard to miss. You can soak up some of the liquid with a white napkin/towel, it'll be a similar color to your coolant color if it's the heater coil. If it's clear(ish), it's the AC or an external leak.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:19 PM

Update:
Had the appointment with the windshield guy yesterday. It wasn't the windshield, it is the drain from the sunroof on the passenger side. That is the benefit of small towns, the windshield guy not only eliminated that it wasn't the windshield, he tracked down what it is....and only charged me 25.00. He also called my neighborhood garage owner and play by play told him where the leak was and what might be required to fix it.

The windshield guy is friends with my neighborhood garage owner, where I take my car for tire changes and oil changes and minor things. Paul, the garage owner had gotten the low down from the windshield guy, and wanted to attempt to repair the drain hose....it wasn't something that he'd personally done before, but he was willing to try if I was.

I left my car with him over night.
I just heard from him. He had the tire off, and has figured out that the portion of the drain above the tire....going into the housing that wraps around the frame is missing.

He called to let me know he doesn't feel like he can do this which involves taking apart the fender etc. He said that he isn't aware if perhaps there is some sort of kit that you could string through to replace this drain. It sounded to me like he would be willing to do that, so I am on a mission to find out if there is.

So, I am asking now....Does anyone know if there is some sort of replacement kit that I can order?? Something that would reconnect, or feed through the existing housing of the sunroof drain, for an 02' Honda Accord, passenger side sunroof drain line.

Or is my best bet going straight to a body shop?

Thank you to anyone with any ideas, or information. You guys have been wonderfully supportive. I appreciate you!

Old 01-25-2017, 01:26 PM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Thanks for checking back and letting us know what it turned out being!

Old 01-25-2017, 02:00 PM

670 posts, read 1,441,079 times
Same thing happened to our 2000 Accord awhile back, it was Step 2 at 1:22, the drain tube in the driver's side footwell had come loose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U27cBBphdAg

Old 01-25-2017, 05:59 PM

Thanks Mathguy and Texsn95, thanks for the link.

My mechanic used his optics, he said that right after he went through the area at the fender, just above the wheel well, it was like the tube was missing. But, as I said earlier, he has never actually fixed a situation like this, which is according to him, going to involve removing fenders and such. So he called....with the "good news, bad news" as he put it.

So, I called my Honda guys, where I get anything major done, and I am taking it in Fri. so they can look at it, order any parts needed etc.

My concern is, it is 15 years old...it is a great car, but looks a bit like a beater because of the paint oxidizing and such...So, I'm worried about what this may cost. It won't be practical if it is a big price....I'm hoping not.

Worst case scenario. Honestly, I might have to consider drastic measures like closing up the sunroof permanently if it costs more than a couple hundred.....fingers crossed.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:52 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post

Worst case scenario. Honestly, I might have to consider drastic measures like closing up the sunroof permanently if it costs more than a couple hundred.....fingers crossed.

This is why I never used or opened the sunroof on my used Mazda sedan.
I obtained the 10 year old Mazda from an elderly relative. Excellent condition low miles.
But I never used or opened the sunroof in the 8 years I owned it. Just for this reason.
Now whether opening or closing sunroof makes a difference in leaks - I don't know.
But mine never leaked and I sold the used car at the 18 year old mark with no leaks.

I have heard other horror stories about older cars leaking sunroofs. Maybe the manufacturers make them better today and they don't leak.

As far as the paint fading. Use a quality paste wax at least twice a year on an older car. Much depends if car is garaged or not. Leaving a car parked outside in areas of lots of sun does cause paint deterioration.
Some/many/few people think that modern clear coat paint does not need to be waxed. Not true.

I use this car wax cleaner combo LINK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive