Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2008, 03:37 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,659,306 times

Advertisements

(ARA) - When the dealer you bought your new car from offered a vehicle warranty, did you turn him down? If so why? Probably because you thought the coverage was too expensive and your new car shouldn't have any problems for quite some time.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...ng-of-the-Past
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 08:46 AM

9,603 posts, read 31,740,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
(ARA) - When the dealer you bought your new car from offered a vehicle warranty, did you turn him down? If so why? Probably because you thought the coverage was too expensive and your new car shouldn't have any problems for quite some time.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...ng-of-the-Past
Another good one, John

Out of curiosity . . . I just requested a quote. I sure hope they don't "beat me to death" with calls and e-mail.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:40 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,872,866 times
WOW what a sales pitch. (note right at the top it's a sponsored article lol). Let's get one thing out of the way right now - aftermarket warranty/service contract companies are not in the business of charity. They are in the business of making money. If everyone got their full meal ticket's worth, these companies would be OOB in no time flat.

As a former finance manager at a dealership I had to sell these, along with all the rest of the worthless money-making crap we "offered". Any car worth buying these days has minimum 3/36 B2B and 4/50 powertrain warranty already, and new car buyers usually turn their cars over in that timeframe or shortly after anyhow.

As a former service writer I had to deal with these from time to time. Probably the worst hassles I've ever gone through is working with these companies - just getting ahold of them, then determining exactly what is covered (which usually isn't exactly what the customer is expecting)...

You get it. don't be fooled everyone, this is an ADVERTIZEMENT by Continental Warranty. I'm actually kind of insulted it was posted here as a "news article".

Old 03-03-2008, 11:44 AM

951 posts, read 1,658,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
You get it. don't be fooled everyone, this is an ADVERTIZEMENT by Continental Warranty. I'm actually kind of insulted it was posted here as a "news article".
I'm with you vanilla. These are money making outfits, period. New vehicles don't need them, and maybe a used vehicle with over 100k might see some benefit over the course of the warranty period, but no guarantees.

I'm not sure what makes this "news". Avoid this at all cost.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:44 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,383,520 times
Cars: Extended Car Warranties Are A Ripoff (http://consumerist.com/363298/extended-car-warranties-are-a-ripoff - broken link)

According to Consumer Reports, the average extended warranty customer gets back $700 for every $1000 they put in. They say you are better off putting the money you'd spend on a warranty into a money market or mutual fund and pulling it out if you need it.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:54 PM

664 posts, read 2,097,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
aftermarket warranty/service contract companies are not in the business of charity. They are in the business of making money.
Isnt this why 99% of all busniess are there? I dont get it when people say this. Why would someone open a business to intentionally go poor?

From personal experience you are lucky to break even in the "extended warranty" business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive