Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2017, 03:44 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,543 times

Advertisements

Regarding stuff like brake, transmission, power steering etc a diy person can buy the expensive OEM fluids or buy non OEM for much cheaper(or more expensive for premium brands that are suppose to be better than OEM but that is not my situation). I always been a non OEM person. I think I am seeing a trend among the DIY crowd of preferring OEM.

Are my observations valid?
If so what has changed?

Last edited by peequi; 02-14-2017 at 03:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 03:47 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
In a general sense, I don't think there is much of a difference between OEM fluid, and quality aftermarket fluids that meet or exceed manufacturer's OEM spec.

However, on an case-by-case basis, there are times where i'll prefer OEM, like in the case where Nissan automatic trans require Matic-S fluid to retain warranty. In that case, I was buying OEM fluids.

But things like brake fluid, or power steering fluid, i'll go with quality (usually Mobil) factory replacement fluids. I prever Valvoline Synthetic brake fluid personally.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:02 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
Depends on the fluid. Brake fluid, most any of the correct DOT fluid will work just fine. Problem is, there are different brake fluids and most folks don't know which they have- they are not compatible. When it comes to ATF, the Ford and GM transmissions, because ford and GM trade transmission technologies, you can use most any of the correct speced after market fluids. You'll find Dextron and Mercon almost the exact same fluid. You are taking a major chance by using anything but OEM in any Chrysler product. "One fits all" won't work in a Chrysler transmission for long. You should use the Mopar ONLY ATF+4 for those speced to use it. Power steering fluid is nothing more than the old Type F ATF and frankly you can use most any of the ATFs in the power steering pump. Blinker fluid, use whatever you want but use OEM fluid on the Johnson Rod and the muffler bearings.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:05 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
The brand is less important than the spec. After all, it's not like auto manufacturers make the stuff; they create a spec or adapt an existing one, then solicit bids from chemical companies to make the fluid to their spec and bottle it in their OEM packaging.

With new cars being so expensive these days I think some people make it a point to use OEM products in the hope that they won't be hassled if the vehicle needs some repair under warranty, and there may be some validity to that point of view. But I really don't see any benefit of using OEM fluids beyond that.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:40 AM

670 posts, read 1,442,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
The brand is less important than the spec.
This...gotta read the labels and compare to what OEM calls for.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:23 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
I have a 2015 Jeep Wrangler. Newer FCA vehicles use Mopar OAT coolant. Mixing OAT with HOAT or other types of coolant can cause your coolant to turn into sludge. For that reason, I only use Mopar OAT. Other than that, I don't waste my money on OEM fluids. Previously I had a GMC Sierra that used a special blue juice in the transfer case. That was the only other time I used an OEM fluid.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:16 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,009,972 times
There seems to be a conflict between the manufacturers and third party maintenance venders when it comes to coolants and transmission fluids.

The after marketers will declare certain fluids as "universal" for all vehicles, while the manufacturers will specify a fluid that "must" be used. Both the after marketers and manufacturers are large reputable companies, so who's lying?

Old 02-20-2017, 07:45 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texsn95 View Post
This...gotta read the labels and compare to what OEM calls for.
Yup. That's what I've always done. Luckily at this point there are non-OEM equivalents available. For example, I can buy Prestone-branded Honda-spec power steering fluid from Walmart and now there are plenty of choices for 0W20 oil as well.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:58 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Blinker fluid, use whatever you want but use OEM fluid on the Johnson Rod and the muffler bearings.
Your Johnson Rod is crooked

Old 02-20-2017, 10:59 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
My Honda Prelude started popping out of high gear shortly after I bought it. I put in Honda's ridiculously expensive manual trans fluid and it never popped out of gear again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive