Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 05:51 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,224,162 times

Advertisements

Saw this morning that an Uber self-driver got in a crash and they are suspending them for awhile.

How do you all feel about these? I love the idea as I'm 60 and in another 10 or 15 years god willing I will need that technology to maintain independence. I am also ready tommorrow to use one driving alone for road trips. I can actually look around, read a magazine. I suppose most will be checking their phones.

But what about the cars we own? Can this technology be "inserted" into them? Will the used car market collapse? I would rather have a module or something retrofitted into my own car than have to buy some tiny little made for driverless car. To me those seem more for big city commuters.

The retrofitting thing, if it comes, would probably come later. Any questions on a timeline?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 07:17 AM

So people are going to be doing this on their own?

How to make your car into a self-driving car, all you need is an Open-source software and $700

Old 03-27-2017, 08:42 AM

50 posts, read 50,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Saw this morning that an Uber self-driver got in a crash and they are suspending them for awhile.

How do you all feel about these? I love the idea as I'm 60 and in another 10 or 15 years god willing I will need that technology to maintain independence. I am also ready tommorrow to use one driving alone for road trips. I can actually look around, read a magazine. I suppose most will be checking their phones.

But what about the cars we own? Can this technology be "inserted" into them? Will the used car market collapse? I would rather have a module or something retrofitted into my own car than have to buy some tiny little made for driverless car. To me those seem more for big city commuters.

The retrofitting thing, if it comes, would probably come later. Any questions on a timeline?
While I am not a fan of a driverless car, I saw that the Uber accident was the fault of someone making an improper turn, meaning, not the Uber's fault.. so, I do not know why Uber is reacting this way.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:53 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,954,578 times
I'm stoked about it. I'm beginning to lose faith in people being able to drive, so I'd rather take my chances with a computer.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:56 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,907,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooFunny View Post
While I am not a fan of a driverless car, I saw that the Uber accident was the fault of someone making an improper turn, meaning, not the Uber's fault.. so, I do not know why Uber is reacting this way.
Agree, OP, you should edit your post to point out that the self driver Uber car was not at fault.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I'm stoked about it. I'm beginning to lose faith in people being able to drive, so I'd rather take my chances with a computer.
Agreed. So much texting, talking and otherwise distracted driving. Used to be people blamed age; either old folks who should be driving or young kids acting up for accidents.

I know there is a tendency for older folks to always moan about things getting worse but it does seem like there are more and worse accidents in the last few years.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:40 PM

19,053 posts, read 27,620,833 times
By 2025 it will be illegal to be on a road in a NON self driving car.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:00 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I don't see that possible in that time frame. A nearby highway project for less than 15mi of road takes 4 years to remodel and won't be finished until 2019.

In order to make self-driving cars perform safely all roads needs to be retrofitted with communication devices. I don't see that happening.

It will take decades for the Feds to fix our roads and they haven't even started yet. What company is willing to take a chance and insure all cars using their self-driving kit that it won't kill people.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:15 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,890,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
No - run the numbers presented... https://www.yahoo.com/news/autonomou...172355251.html

Quote:
Will self-driving cars become ubiquitous? That becomes obvious once you’ve digested the most important lesson in Fight Club: On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero. Apply this to cars: There are 274,000,000 cars in the United States, give or take, with a turnover of around 17 million annually. If 100% of cars sold today were self-driving, it would take 16 years to get to 100% ubiquity.

Chris Gerdes, Chief Innovation Officer for the DOT, told The Drive that he thinks 35% of the cars on the road in the United States will be self-driving in ten years.

To get there, 100% of the cars sold would have to be self-driving by 2021.

Not a chance.
Do you even have a car with auto-wipers or headlights? Many people still don't. Active (radar) cruise-control has been around for quite a few years now, nobody buys that option for $2k+ a pop. More technology, more stuff to break, is the mentality. Or they simply haven't chosen to buy a new car in the last decade - you can't force that.

I will not enjoy being on the road with these things until we're all autonomous. It's going to be a bumpy ride getting there because I'm not too excited about following cars going only 55mph on the interstate or an overly cautious left-turner because they are programmed to follow the letter of the law and safety rules in every way.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:22 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
No - run the numbers presented... https://www.yahoo.com/news/autonomou...172355251.html

Do you even have a car with auto-wipers or headlights? Many people still don't. Active (radar) cruise-control has been around for quite a few years now, nobody buys that option for $2k+ a pop. More technology, more stuff to break, is the mentality. Or they simply haven't chosen to buy a new car in the last decade - you can't force that.

I will not enjoy being on the road with these things until we're all autonomous. It's going to be a bumpy ride getting there because I'm not too excited about following cars going only 55mph on the interstate or an overly cautious left-turner because they are programmed to follow the letter of the law and safety rules in every way.
Author of that article has an odd definition of ubiquitous. Just means widespread/seen all over. I see F-150s everywhere, but not everyone has one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive