Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2013, 01:28 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,751,646 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who test drives for a car magazine, and was recently driving a car in Michigan. He said with all the snow and all the tracks made in the snow that the lane departure warning was going nuts. This got me thinking about how self driving cars would work in northern states in the winter. I'm sure a system like this would be used on such cars. Would sever weather conditions like snow make it that these cars wouldn't be able to function by them selves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 01:38 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,219,241 times
We have already touched on self driving cars extensively in another thread. The problem you mention is one of thousands for which there currently is no solution. The stamp of approval for self driving cars is several decades out. Much more work left for the onboard tech. and a hell of a lot of road infrastructure needs to be designed and implemented to provide an information network for safe and efficient traffic flow. Anything short of that will make self driving vehicles more inherently dangerous than conventional vehicles already are. Many of you will here will not live to see the day, is my guess.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:14 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,421,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
I have a friend who test drives for a car magazine, and was recently driving a car in Michigan. He said with all the snow and all the tracks made in the snow that the lane departure warning was going nuts. This got me thinking about how self driving cars would work in northern states in the winter. I'm sure a system like this would be used on such cars. Would sever weather conditions like snow make it that these cars wouldn't be able to function by them selves?
Lane departure relies on road markings and also only operates at certain speeds.

self-driving cars may rely on these, but also rely on technologies designed to communicate with other vehicles, infrastructure on the road, mapping, and other technologies. I assure you they wouldn't be put on the road if they were more dangerous than vehicles today, considering how tightly regulated safety has become and is becoming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
We have already touched on self driving cars extensively in another thread. The problem you mention is one of thousands for which there currently is no solution. The stamp of approval for self driving cars is several decades out. Much more work left for the onboard tech. and a hell of a lot of road infrastructure needs to be designed and implemented to provide an information network for safe and efficient traffic flow. Anything short of that will make self driving vehicles more inherently dangerous than conventional vehicles already are. Many of you will here will not live to see the day, is my guess.
I'm late 20s and I envision that self driving vehicles will be legal and commonplace within 30 years of now. Hopefully city-data is still here so I can say "hah, in yo' face!" Of course, at the same time, I'll be crying inside, as I prefer driving myself lol.

---

One thing I do see as being a problem is IF and that's a big IF there are accidents, they will be highlighted and blasted throughout media and people will of course overreact, despite looking at the facts and statistics that will show the trend downwards on accidents and crash injuries/fatalities that self-driving will usher in.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:31 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,219,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post

I'm late 20s and I envision that self driving vehicles will be legal and commonplace within 30 years of now. Hopefully city-data is still here so I can say "hah, in yo' face!" Of course, at the same time, I'll be crying inside, as I prefer driving myself lol.
LOL... I suspect that you will be here to say that, yes. I will be here as well to say I wasn't referring to your age group. From my observations most of the users here are mid 40s and beyond. I envision anywhere from 30 to 50 years if it happens at all. Our federal and state governments have lot of other BS they need to sort out before they start revamping our road infrastructures, especially if there is no financial gain.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:01 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,174,541 times
Humans can barely drive cars, especially in snow, and we want them to drive themselves?

Old 12-20-2013, 07:02 PM

19,020 posts, read 27,579,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post

Lux, we did. It's only about 7 years away. Not decades.

The Leaf drove on Japan’s Sagami Expressway in Kanagawa prefecture, southwest of Tokyo. Nissan vice chairman Toshiyuki Shiga and the prefecture’s Governor, Yuji Kuroiwa, rode in the car during the test, which marked a major step toward Nissan’s goal of selling self-driving cars to consumers by 2020.

Nissan Sets Goal of Introducing First Self-Driving Cars by 2020 - Bloomberg

And it was around for such a long time. Amazing..

In 1953, RCA Labs successfully built a miniature car that was guided and contolled by wires that were laid in a pattern on a laboratory floor. The system sparked the imagination of Leland M. Hancock, traffic engineer in the Nebraska Department of Roads, and of his director, L. N. Ress, state engineer. The decision was made to experiment with the system in actual highway installations. In 1958, a full size system was successfully demonstrated by RCA Labs and the State of Nebraska on a 400-foot strip of public highway just outside Lincoln, Neb.

Autonomous car - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive