Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 06:45 AM

22,422 posts, read 29,577,886 times

Advertisements

I work in a tire/repair shop and I see people come in who constantly dump THOUSANDS into cars that aren't even worth more than a couple of hundred dollars. With all the money they put into these cars they could have bought themselves something more reliable. I tell them it's not worth it to keep putting money into this car and to use that money towards something else. We see them every couple of months with more issues and it's always the same brand of vehicles..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 06:51 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,363,180 times
Their money so it's not up to you to understand.

Old 04-01-2017, 07:05 AM

22,145 posts, read 33,696,181 times
Maybe sentimental value? I haven't been in that situation since I was a young kid. If a car gives me too many problems I dump them. I keep my vehicles until they become unreliable. Once they start breaking down a lot I sell them cheap

Last edited by Electrician4you; 04-01-2017 at 07:23 AM..

Old 04-01-2017, 07:18 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,460,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I work in a tire/repair shop and I see people come in who constantly dump THOUSANDS into cars that aren't even worth more than a couple of hundred dollars. With all the money they put into these cars they could have bought themselves something more reliable. I tell them it's not worth it to keep putting money into this car and to use that money towards something else. We see them every couple of months with more issues and it's always the same brand of vehicles..
A lot of people are just dumb when it comes to cars.
Out of curiosity what brand of vehicle would you avoid?
Personally i tend to avoid American cars as they seem to have more reliability issues than Japanese cars Ford being at the top of my list in that regard.

Old 04-01-2017, 07:21 AM

8,012 posts, read 10,477,957 times
Quote:
I think a lot has to do with the devil you know vs. the devil you don't know. They already know what's wrong with their car. They could buy another one, but I'm guessing they don't have the money to spend more than a few thousands dollars on another. When you're spending that little money on a car, there are going to be issues. So there's always a chance that they could spend a few thousand for the "new" car, and then still be bringing it to you every couple of months to fix things.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:25 AM

19,136 posts, read 27,774,643 times
I bought a Mercury Sable once with all maintenance and repair records. From insurance agent who bought it for his student daughter. Car was new from dealer $14K and he had $16K in repairs for it, over the years. Like $70 battery inspection? He gave me thick folder and out of curiosity I once set down and summed it all up. Then said - WHAT? Bogus, really bogus charges duly paid by him. And all that was done in early 90s, when 70 bucks here or 60 bucks there were actually good money.
people are brainwashed into NOT doing anything by themselves and letting everything to be done by "professionals".
It starts from most everyday things, like cooking and ends in more or less complicated ones. So no surprise really. It's a typical product of consumer society.
Also, makes one feel "cared for". Like a Boss. Which you are not. Just makes you feel like it.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:08 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,266,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I think a lot has to do with the devil you know vs. the devil you don't know. They already know what's wrong with their car. They could buy another one, but I'm guessing they don't have the money to spend more than a few thousands dollars on another. When you're spending that little money on a car, there are going to be issues. So there's always a chance that they could spend a few thousand for the "new" car, and then still be bringing it to you every couple of months to fix things.
this is true for me. I got a free car from my father in law shortly before he passed. 2000 subaru impreza that went through 2 broad side accidents (once as the receiver and once as the giver). He only ever changed the oil ignoring all other maintenance needs.

I got it with 100k miles and by my estimate was probably worth around 1500 to 4000. I spent roughly 2500 so far bringing all the required maintenance (DIY over several months) up to current and got some repairs done also (local mechanics).

Besides some body rust, it looks to be a solid car with a known history. I know I could not easily find another car for around $3k for my daughter to kick around in that wasn't well used and likely received even less maintenance.

I could have taken $3k to put down on a more expensive car but am not in a position to take on a monthly payment and neither was my daughter who now owns the car and pays the insurance.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:31 AM

32,728 posts, read 48,355,590 times
Every car need regular maintenance, no matter how old it is. The better you give the scheduled maintenance, the longer the car will last.

If doesn't matter if you buy a brand new car, it is going to need scheduled maintenance and eventually parts will wear out and have to be replaced.

Although, it is hard to judge from from OP's note because he doesn't say what sort of maintenance. He's in a tire shop, so what is he repairing besides new tires (which every car needs), front end alignments, which a car will need often if the driver insists upon driving over curbs, but that happens with any brand of car, or maybe brake pads, which every car is going to need at a regular scheduled time.

If a car is having the head gasket replaced every other month, it is probably time to get rid of it. But barring major repairs, all cars are going to have ongoing maintenance and repairs. There's no such thing as a car you can drive forever that never goes into the shop for anything. If the car gets its regular maintenance, it shoukd run for a very long time.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:36 AM

749 posts, read 740,048 times
Quote:
Don't take this insult personally, but tire/repair shops are notorious for high pressure up-selling all kinds of unnecessary repairs.

I stopped once at a BrakesPlus to cash in on their $9.99 oil change special. I knew before I went in that I was going to be high-pressured to let them fix all kinds of stuff - and I was. The a$$hole basically threatened me in his attempt to get me to put $2500 of repairs into a car I had paid $500 for. A car that did NOT need those repairs.

That problem aside, it is not necessarily foolish to repair an older car rather than get strapped with the high payments, high insurance, and high registration fees for a new car.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:46 AM

17,668 posts, read 17,853,516 times
I know people like this. They don't want a car payment. They'll spend a small amount of cash savings on a barely running car and then spend even more money than the car is worth on repairs just to keep it running. Some go cheap on the car so they can spend a fortune on rims, tires, lights, and audio/video systems (think Pimp My Ride). The amount they spent on these things and the car could have gotten them a very good used car. Instead they drive around in used police Crown Vics or some other rust bucket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive