Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 02:57 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,999,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Wow! And I thought I was lonely in my thinking they are not very reliable.
This we can definitely agree on. I don't trust consumer reports for anything. As another user mentioned, for vehicles, check out the individual forums for vehicles and read what actual owners are experiencing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 03:53 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,643,059 times
Quote:
Wow! And I thought I was lonely in my thinking they are not very reliable.
CR is reliable if you're looking at used vehicles about 5 years old. With new models it's really just a guess how reliable they'll be, especially if there has been a redesign.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:21 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,465,685 times
Consumer Reports was at inception frontiered by Ralph Nadar. He was ousted and it then went "union" to the domestic Car manufacturers. Detroit in particular.
what you read and garner in todays' Consumer Reports is not the premise of its originating intent. Now its $$$ creating the positions on the list.

I invest based on performance and longevity....Not whether it was Built in 'Merica....My safety and driving skills factor in to the purchase as well.
TBH, I wouldn't invest in any of the ones listed....

Old 04-04-2017, 09:35 PM

24,422 posts, read 23,084,509 times
Consumer Reports, MotorTrend, they both seem to be influenced in their reviews. MotorTrend's Car of the year award is particularly laughable every year, IMO.
Go to Youtube and get reviews there.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:37 PM

4,331 posts, read 7,242,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Consumer Reports was at inception frontiered by Ralph Nadar. He was ousted and it then went "union" to the domestic Car manufacturers. Detroit in particular.
Consumer Reports was first published in January 1936 by what was then known as Consumers Union. Ralph Nader was not quite two years old at the time. I don't see how he could have "frontiered" the publication at its inception.

Old 04-05-2017, 03:51 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,543,687 times
Honda Ridgeline? Yuck

Old 04-05-2017, 08:28 AM

13,715 posts, read 12,449,591 times
Quote:
Ridgeline looked pretty intriguing right up to the part that said "unibody"

Oh well, maybe someone will copy some of the ideas and put a frame under it.
The ridgeline is an affront to peoples perceptions of their needs, but rarely their actual needs. Many people think they need a full size truck for hauling a small-medium sized boat, or to get down the greasy dirt road to hunting camp a few times a year. Rarely do they really need that.

IMHO, its a good list this year.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:17 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,465,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Consumer Reports was first published in January 1936 by what was then known as Consumers Union. Ralph Nader was not quite two years old at the time. I don't see how he could have "frontiered" the publication at its inception.
Thanks for fixing that information. I stand corrected!

Old 04-05-2017, 10:08 AM

421 posts, read 544,932 times
Quote:
I use a truck for whatever comes up. That may include a heavy load, pulling out shrubbery, getting someone out of the ditch, hauling a boat, towing a car or truck that breaks down, etc. I do not want to be worried that some little task I put it to might result in forever tweaking the alignment of the entire body. 40 bales of hay offered cheap on the way home? Put them in the truck. Visiting Dad and remember I need some rocks for the firepit - put them in the truck - not really inclined to weigh each rock. "Oh look free lumber" - darn I forgot my portable scale, it might bend my truck.

Even some off road activities can tweak a uni-body out of shape and your "truck" is ruined.

Thus, while I do not have heavy things to tow, nor haul 5000 lbs of bricks everyday, I might want to do those things once. If that once will tweak the truck - no thank you. I also hate unibodies generally because they can get all bent out of shape in a little fender bender. One advantage of a truck over a car is to get away from unibody.

I would never consider a unibody "truck" as one poster said, it is really just a luxury car with the trunk open.

If I buy a truck, I want it to do truck things. Not do only car things while making me look like a person who has a truck.
What do you drive, a 3/4 ton or a 1 ton? I'm guessing most any 1/2 ton could have its frame tweaked in a fender bender.

Given how 1 tons ride, I'd much rather carry a scale than own one, and worry about not overloading (which, technically, can be done on a 1T too). Not unless if I could actually justify a one ton for my usage, that is. For my pretend uses my 1/2T is good enough. And I'm under no illusion that it can "take a beating and keep on ticking". Everything has its breaking/bending point.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:49 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,804,194 times
Mazda MX 5 Miata. Sexy. Mommy likey. John wants a Honda pilot. sigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive