Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 05:10 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,683 times

Advertisements

Another vote for road noise & good tires. Also, I like to drive in complete silence. No radio, talking etc. Also, why road noise is a huge no-no. My car rides smooth as butter w/virtually no noise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 05:57 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,154,615 times
Great advice folks, tnx.

I usually do the fluids check, car wash, playlist setup, travel neck bpillow, cooler in the car, heated seats turned on.

Hows about for lumbar support or drivers fatigue? We do stop every 3-4 hours for gas , food, restroom, would it be wise to sleep in the car , or get a room for 6 hours? We are driving over a thousand miles, but only 1 driver.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:05 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,734,172 times
I have a Chevy Express Van with a cot/sleeping bag and a bicycle on board at all times. The bicycle is a MUST. It also has a camping refrigerator that plugs into the cigarette lighter. It's also got a large toolbox with everything I'd need if anything breaks down, and a road atlas.

I've yet to put a 2500 watt inverter in it to run my microwave but I'll get around to it.

I prefer the smaller cargo van to a full-on RV because it's easier to park and doesn't have the "old fart" vibe of an RV. Better gas mileage too.

When I get a wild hair I just jump in it and go. Sometimes for days at a time. The last time I went to the beach in Santa Monica I just opened the sliding door and slept to the sounds of the Pacific Ocean.

Last edited by tommy64; 04-05-2017 at 06:21 PM..

Old 04-05-2017, 06:18 PM

1,294 posts, read 1,121,662 times
Pay Day bars. In my Iron Butt days they were great for going the distance!

Old 04-05-2017, 06:56 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
The most important thing is the ride. Comfortable seats, lots of leg room and head room, quiet, smooth suspension, climate control and cruise control. The best road car I ever owned was a Buick Park Avenue. Second best, surprisingly, was a Dodge Daytona, followed by a '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee with upgraded seats. Full reclining seats are great for catching a nap. Be sure the headrest is high enough to support your head.

Second is planning. No matter what you drive, 500 miles a day is an ordeal. I try to keep daily mileage under 300 miles. Plan for breaks. I pack water but not food. If I get hungry, it's time to stop for a meal, and that means shutting off the car and going into a restaurant, not just a drive-through. Plan to avoid rush hours in cities.

Entertainment will make the miles fly by. If I'm by myself I plug into an audiobook. With company, my wife and I listen to music or catch local news.

A CB helps keep track of road conditions from trucker chatter. I keep a GPS with good maps up all the time so I know where I am and can plot detours around accidents. A cell phone signal amplifier will get you service in remote areas where service is spotty. Even today, the answer to "Can you hear me now?" is "No."

Plan for the climate. Service the radiator and belts in the summer, when you really need them. Make sure tires are in good shape and properly inflated. Check your brakes. Change the oil. Carry lots of water if you are heading across a desert. Carry a sleeping bag if you are driving in cold weather. When the tank gets to half full, top it off.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:59 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
I have a Chevy Express Van with a cot/sleeping bag and a bicycle on board at all times. The bicycle is a MUST. It also has a camping refrigerator that plugs into the cigarette lighter. It's also got a large toolbox with everything I'd need if anything breaks down, and a road atlas.

I've yet to put a 2500 watt inverter in it to run my microwave but I'll get around to it.

I prefer the smaller cargo van to a full-on RV because it's easier to park and doesn't have the "old fart" vibe of an RV. Better gas mileage too.

When I get a wild hair I just jump in it and go. Sometimes for days at a time. The last time I went to the beach in Santa Monica I just opened the sliding door and slept to the sounds of the Pacific Ocean.
An insulated canopy on my pickup with a good air mattress is all I need. I can stop at truck stops for a shower. If I'm heading out where there are no convenience stores, I take my travel trailer.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:07 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
Great advice folks, tnx.

I usually do the fluids check, car wash, playlist setup, travel neck bpillow, cooler in the car, heated seats turned on.

Hows about for lumbar support or drivers fatigue? We do stop every 3-4 hours for gas , food, restroom, would it be wise to sleep in the car , or get a room for 6 hours? We are driving over a thousand miles, but only 1 driver.
i never needed any lumbar support while driving, but if you decide it would be a good idea for you, go for it.

as for sleeping, you can sleep in the car short term, but it can be uncomfortable, unless you have a van or mattress in a station wagon. personally i prefer to find an inexpensive motel to stay in for six to eight hours and get a good sleep and a shower before heading back out on the road. a good meal helps also.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:36 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
Quote:
Great advice folks, tnx.

At the beraks, get out and run.. A quarter mile or half a mile is enough. Also do yoga/stretches. There are specific stretches for driving. Every half hour or so losen up your fingers and shoulders. If you travel with a partner, they can rub your neck. If not just do head rolls carefully so you do not create a hazard.

For lumber support you can have it built in or just use a pillow made for that. The pillow is more adjustable.

Get a room. If you sleep in the car, you will nto sleep much.. Bad enough in a hotel. If you have mutiple drivers it makes sense to sleep while others are driving if you are in a hurry or going through a really boring area like Nebraska

I leave the heated seats off.. Being hot makes you sleepy. Cooler is better. Keeps you more alert as long as you are not freezing..

I play games with myself while driving. Force myself to move my eyes around and notice things. Identify every possible danger or threat. Focus on close up and far away things often. If you just gaze fixedly at the same place, you will lose alertnedd and your eyes will lose focus

Watch a map and try to time the tough driving when you are alert (moutains). I find it helps me for some reason to make roller coaster sounds (screaming etc) while on curvy mountain roads. Silly, but it helps.

I find if I start early (530 or 6 am) I can easily drive 12 to 14 hours without getting tired. Just stop and run frequently. At least three or four times. It only take a few minutes.

If you run about 80 mph, you could make it in one day. More liesurely is more fun and safer. take some time to see things. even if you just stop to look at a neat cow or a barn, there are so many amazing things to see. If you break your thousand miles into two days, do it top heavy, you will be more tred the second day. Or you could do three or four days and take in some sights, meet some people etc

Old 04-05-2017, 08:52 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,154,615 times
those motels along the interstate are pretty reasonable. Probably do just that, a cold shower and comfy bed is very appealing. I normally pack a cooler with slice fruit in ziploc bags, cold cuts, cold pack, water. I am driving an acura, so it is very smooth and quiet ride.

Our plan is to start driving after 7 pm, get into a hotel around 5 am, and head back on the road just after noon. We will hit traffic no matter what, but at least in a not so major city. I keep the cruise control 6 mph over the speed limit.

My biggest concern is cramping, locked fingers, stiff sore butt, puffy eyes. I have had scary episodes in past road trips, from driver fatigue due to the sun, not being able to straighten my back for a few minutes, having hawk fingers for hours....

I have tried driving on pillows, contour seat accessories, not much helps. I did do a drive in sweat shorts , compression socks , but felt like a Dork coming out of the car. And getting acid from drinking too much Gatorade sucks, so is that nasty taste in my mouth from too much caffeine. I just like to hear the Ideas I can try for my next trip.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:14 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
those motels along the interstate are pretty reasonable. Probably do just that, a cold shower and comfy bed is very appealing. I normally pack a cooler with slice fruit in ziploc bags, cold cuts, cold pack, water. I am driving an acura, so it is very smooth and quiet ride.

Our plan is to start driving after 7 pm, get into a hotel around 5 am, and head back on the road just after noon. We will hit traffic no matter what, but at least in a not so major city. I keep the cruise control 6 mph over the speed limit.

My biggest concern is cramping, locked fingers, stiff sore butt, puffy eyes. I have had scary episodes in past road trips, from driver fatigue due to the sun, not being able to straighten my back for a few minutes, having hawk fingers for hours....

I have tried driving on pillows, contour seat accessories, not much helps. I did do a drive in sweat shorts , compression socks , but felt like a Dork coming out of the car. And getting acid from drinking too much Gatorade sucks, so is that nasty taste in my mouth from too much caffeine. I just like to hear the Ideas I can try for my next trip.
when staying at a motel, dont go to the local dumps with no name on them. stay at someplace like comfort or sleep in, or the low cost holiday inn express. these are generally nicer properties and have a few more amenities available.

as for when to start, if you are heading west, then start early in the morning and have the sun at your back. that way you will be able to drive for about 7 hours before you start really getting the sun in your eyes. at that point stop and have an early dinner, and wait for the sun to go down before starting out again. that way you can get about 5-600 miles in for the day, and you can sleep at a normal, or relatively normal time. if you are heading east, wait until about 10am before heading out. again you wont have to fight the sun in your eyes while driving, and you can drive until about 7 or 8 at night, and again sleep at a relatively normal time frame.

the biggest problem with the sun is when it is directly in your eyes. you lose depth perception, and often times, especially when the sun is setting, just about everything is in shadows, and brake lights can be tough to see.once the sun i up in the sky those issues go away.

as for the cramping fingers, i have dealt with that, and it usually comes when you grip the steering wheel tightly for hours on end. thus when i drive long distances, i dont grip the wheel like i do when driving in city traffic. rather i use a very relaxed grip, just enough to be able to handle any situation that might come up, quickly.

as for what to snack on while driving, as someone pointed out, water is best. sodas, energy drinks, gatorade and similar drinks, unless you drink them as a normal part of your day wil generalyl cause some distress. so a 20oz bottle of water where you can easily reach it is best. for other snacks i eat beef jerky, usually jack links pepper beef or original beef, and i eat the long flat sticks, not the round ones, too much grease in those. the nice thing about the jerky is that it keeps your salivary glands pushing out moisture to keep your mouth wet, and the protein in the jerky helps the body with energy, and the solt in the jerky helps prevent cramping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive