Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 08:24 AM

430 posts, read 290,834 times

Advertisements

I'm an import owner, and love the fact that car companies are switching to Turbocharged engines. Volumetric Effeciency >

Case in point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwR8MdpJZY8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 09:19 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
If you compare two production Camaro's 0ne an eight and 0ne a six, -identical car'
The eight cylinder is only two or three tenths of a second faster than the six cylinder in quarter mile acceleration times.
The six cylinders are beginning to catch up to the eights.
Are you sure, i question this post. The 2017 Camaro's are lighter than previous years and 455 HP, they break into the 11's completely stock and that is fast. Thats faster than ANY of the old musclecars.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:37 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
With the introduction of the 3.5 Ecoboost in the 2010 Taurus SHO, Ford has been going all-in on the small displacement turbo approach. It appears to be working, since V6 Ecoboost F150s outsell V8s, and pickup truck buyers are the last demographic I would have guessed would embrace smaller forced induction engines.

There's some lingering anti-turbo sentiment out there, but it only takes a few minutes behind the wheel of something like an SHO or 3.5 EB F150 to make a believer out of anyone. When shopping for a moderately priced high performance sedan back in 2011, I initially looked at hemi Chargers, G8 GTs, etc. I wasn't even aware of the SHO, but reluctantly test drove one after doing some research. Short of wide open, the V8s in the Charger and G8 felt anemic compared to the Taurus. The 3.5 Ecoboost is much more torquey, responsive, and flexible. Being forced induction, it also responds to modifications better.

I'm not at all surprised that the GT is using the 3.5 EB. The only thing that surprises me is that it isn't offered in the Mustang, but I suspect the typical Mustang GT buyer isn't ready to give up their V8 just yet. That fact that Ford's flagship car (the GT) is using the 3.5 EB tells me its only a matter of time before in winds up in the Mustang as well.
A turbo/supercharged 6 cylinder can be a suitable replacement for a V8 engine with some fuel economy benefits but I don't like how many manufacturers are ditching N/A 6 cylinders for turbocharged 4's. Those are clearly a larger compromise. Porsche took hell for doing that with the Cayman and Boxters (as they should) because the turbo 4's just don't sound or drive as smooth as a 6.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:16 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
You discovered this...today? This trend has been going on for the better part of the last five years, if not more.
I've owned 3 turbo cars, I'm merely pointing out the trend has made it to the big cylinder market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive