Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 07:59 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times

Advertisements

Just remembered that the port I am complaining about is actually the USB port. I am pretty sure the cigarette/power port is probably wired the same. It was keyed on my Dodge Dakota. I have to check if even putting the ignition in accessory mode makes a difference on the Lexus, but it is 10pm and I am in bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 08:06 PM

17,623 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Perhaps it's also a safety reason. Leaving an electronic device in a hot car unattended while charging can potentially cause a fire

Old 05-08-2017, 09:58 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
The car has to be powered up (as in running) in my Prius for the lighter sockets or USB ports to be hot. I hate that, as I need to constantly be charging my iPhone to keep its batteries up while I work. I shoot 1000-1500 pictures each day with it in addition to working on a complex app whenever I'm not driving. Keeping the engine running for 10 minutes while I work on the app takes a fair amount of fuel. In my old F250 that I used before getting the Prius, the cigarette lighter was always hot, so I could work on the app (actually, then a program on my laptop) before starting the truck.

Somehow, the Prius still gets about 3x the fuel mileage, but it could be better!

Old 05-08-2017, 10:39 PM

17,623 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
The car has to be powered up (as in running) in my Prius for the lighter sockets or USB ports to be hot. I hate that, as I need to constantly be charging my iPhone to keep its batteries up while I work. I shoot 1000-1500 pictures each day with it in addition to working on a complex app whenever I'm not driving. Keeping the engine running for 10 minutes while I work on the app takes a fair amount of fuel. In my old F250 that I used before getting the Prius, the cigarette lighter was always hot, so I could work on the app (actually, then a program on my laptop) before starting the truck.

Somehow, the Prius still gets about 3x the fuel mileage, but it could be better!
You could keep charged battery packs on hand during the day. I have one pack that when fully charged can recharge my phone and tablet several times before needing to recharge. Just make sure to get a reputable brand. Cheap models are not safe.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:45 AM

421 posts, read 544,652 times
My Tundra has three sockets up front. I know one is switched, one will turn off after an hour or so, something like that. The third I forget now. I plug my GPS into the switched one, and use the other for charging things. I like this kind of setup, best of both worlds.

It's not that hard to wire up an always-live socket. For running a charger I don't think it has to be "clean" power either.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:51 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
Those are high current outlet. Last time I checked, it's a 30A fuse. Having something plugped in all the time unattended will drain the battery and it would not be safe.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:32 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,250,708 times
On my '16 GMC, the ones on the dash are powered at all times, the one in the console is not. (The AC plug is only on when the ign. is turned On.)
From my owner's manual.

"The power outlets on the center
stack and in front of the cupholders
are powered at all times. The power
outlets inside the storage area and
on the rear of the console are
powered when the ignition is in ON/
RUN or ACC/ACCESSORY,
or when RAP is active."

Old 05-09-2017, 10:15 AM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
On Fords the "cigarette lighter" (how quaint), radio, etc stay hot for 5 minutes before you have to turn the key.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:31 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
This is true for both the old and the new cars. You've parked somewhere and want to charge your phone. Nope. Can't do. Why? Because for no reason the cigarette lighter is not hot wired. You have to switch to "Accessory" for that. Well, I don't want to do that and light up the entire dash. When I set up something similar on my motorcycle, I made sure there was a direction connection to the battery.
On my '05 Nissan, there is one lighter port that is always hot and two that require inserting the key and turning to Accessory position.

I guess this is to keep the battery from running down faster. The various other electronic functions that are always on already draw a fair bit of power even with engine off and no key in the ignition.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:35 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Those are high current outlet. Last time I checked, it's a 30A fuse. Having something plugped in all the time unattended will drain the battery and it would not be safe.
That's a stretch. Sure, I could be running AC powered appliances through a DC power inverter and drain the battery or overheat the circuit. But the vast majority of the time people are just charging their cellphones. You could recharge every iphone in the apple store on a car battery charge. And when your phone is charged it stops pulling current.

The car manufacturers that switch it off might claim safety as the reason but there is no mandate and plenty of car manufacturers leave some outlets hot. I've yet to hear about a safety issue with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive