Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 06:01 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,250,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post

By valid I meant only that the reports have matched the car correctly in all cases I've seen.
Have you gotten difference results when running the same report with VIN vs license plate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 06:15 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
I've run many CARFAXs from plates and they're perfectly valid.
Over the years, my personalized license plate has been on my car, motorcycle, Jeep and now my pickup truck. Take your pick.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:22 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,184,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Over the years, my personalized license plate has been on my car, motorcycle, Jeep and now my pickup truck. Take your pick.
Probably the last vehicle registered with that plate. CarFax gives you the VIN with the report, so it's easy enough to verify. You can even get the year, make, and model by plate for free; great way to tell if someone is a curbstoner swapping one plate from vehicle to vehicle.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Indeed, there's lots of that out there, too. I ran one on my Crown Vic before I sold it and it had a couple things listed that I had never had done....that is, misinterpretations of repairs that were actually done. Definitely buyer beware. A CARFAX is by no means gospel truth, but it is a generally helpful tool to augment your good judgement.
Yeah, the CarFax report for my car says "airbag replaced" when I had the rear air shocks replaced. There's also a minor accident missing.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:39 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
Probably the last vehicle registered with that plate. CarFax gives you the VIN with the report, so it's easy enough to verify. You can even get the year, make, and model by plate for free; great way to tell if someone is a curbstoner swapping one plate from vehicle to vehicle.
Exactly.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:47 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
I've never quite understood what point people see in hiding car license plate numbers in ads on Craigslist. Is there anything John Q Public can do with a plate number other than run a CARFAX report?

Those ads are repellents to me....red flags. If they don't want me running a CARFAX, I'll move on to a seller who isn't making a foolishly feeble attempt to hide their car's history.

On the other hand, here in the California market, ads that display plate numbers that match the owner's stated ownership history move up a notch or two in credibility. Since about 1988, the 1st digit on a California plate specifies a time range of issuing. So, if an ad for a 2005 car claims "original owner", It ought to have a plate number beginning in 5. If I see a 7 (the current number), likelihood is very high that ownership recently changed and "original owner" is a fishy claim.

Maybe there are other reasons for hiding a plate that I haven't considered. Comments?
I don't see how. Unless the car had a vanity plate in Ca the plate goes with the car.
The only time a new plate isciss Ed is if the original gets stolen, defaced or vanity plates which belong to the person not the car

As to why people do it? Who knows? So many scammers and bs out there they are just trying to protect themselves. I would just pixilated the area a bit.
I also don't bother talking to people in text or email. You can't send me money in a text or email

Old 05-16-2017, 07:05 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,824,614 times
Quote:
I've run many CARFAXs from plates and they're perfectly valid.
How do you know they are valid when anyone can put any plate on any car? Unlike VIN # which can't be changed

Old 05-16-2017, 07:09 PM

Because the VIN is also on the report. Eve without the VIN, you can compare the make, model, and color. Probably not too many sellers out there who would have a plate off a different but identical car to throw off unsuspecting buyers.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:36 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
It's because someone could get your address. Also be really careful about giving a seller your address especially if you are buying from CL or the newspaper. Big scam here is they keep a set of keys then come back and steal it a week or so later. Then they sell it again, and so on, and so on! And they keep a duplicate title so the next buyer has no idea!!!

Old 05-16-2017, 07:49 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
There are websites that charge a nominal fee. There may even be some free ones out there.
I thought license plate records were off limits unless you were law enforcement. Is that not the case?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive