Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 01:25 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corerius View Post
best: my first 1970 Boss 302
worst: one of the very few modern cars I've owned, a third gen Miata. Kind of slow, all the problems of modern cars in terms of high belt line, visibility, much harder to get into and out of than you'd think.
Best car is a toss up.

VW Beatles before 1975 - about the most fun you can have driving, with upgrades very nible and great traction in snow...or 2007 (3rd gen) Miata. As any Miata owner (that loves driving) will tell you, it's a lot more fun driving a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

Sure, lots of cars can beat a Miata in a straight line race, but you have to spend much more to get a car that can handle the curves like a Miata can. People race them right off the showroom.

Yes, they have the high belt line common in cars today. So, it's common, can't do anything about that.

Visibility is an issue with the top up, as with any convertible, but I've seen worse visibility in other convertibles and hardtops.

A Miata is the most fun I've had driving since I stopped driving air cooled VW's.

A Miata is not hard to get into or out of if you just roll your shoulder as you use the seat shoulder as a pivot point. It also helps to be under 6 ft tall. Another plus, these cars are very reliable.

Worse car: VW Rabbit. I bought one when they first came out. The master brake cylinder failed at 30,000 miles. The car would just stop in the middle of traffic because the circuit boards used were too thin, and would short out the fuel pump at random times. Fortunately for me it was totaled (buy a VW bug) and the insurance adjuster offered me the value of a fully loaded model instead of the basic trim that I had, so with 65,000 miles on the car I got more for it as a wreck than I paid for it originally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 02:31 PM

15,219 posts, read 10,304,488 times
Least favorite: Pontiac Bonneville, don't remember the year but it was older.

Most favorite: 1993 Mitsubishi Mirage

Old 05-18-2017, 02:43 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times
My wife loved her 1982 Volvo 240 which she kept for 12 years. While I never cared for it (uncomfortable ride, handled terrible in the snow, little things kept fall off like a windshield wiper, clogged fuel injectors, under powered, no power windows, no power seats, etc,) but she walked and drove away from 2 high speed hits in the rear and one rimmed tire bouncing down the road and that got her in the front end. For those reasons, I am glad she was driving it.

I have a new 2017 Ford Explorer and I am very satisfied with it.

Old 05-18-2017, 02:53 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
my four favorite cars, since you can basically toss a blanket over them and choose for me are;

my 66 mustang
my 64 falcon
my old 83 grand marquis
my current 05 grand marquis

my least favorite would probably have to be my old 64 chevelle malibu SS. it was beyond toast. it had a 283, but ran on six cylinders on its best day, and would fog up the neighborhood with oil smoke. the frame was broken in two places, the body was a rusty shell(the rear floor pans were virtually gone to the point where if you stomped on the carpet, your feet would be dragging on the road)

Old 05-18-2017, 02:58 PM

604 posts, read 652,810 times
- worst Camry SE 2014
- competing for best a couple: MB AMG's, Audi S-line's, BMW M's, next probably be best: 911 turbo

Old 05-18-2017, 03:25 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,131,213 times
Least favorite was the biggest POS I ever bought. It was a 1990 Plymouth Acclaim LX. It literally gave me problems on the way home from the showroom floor when an escutcheon on the center of the alloy wheel fell off on the way home. It was covered under warranty as were all the other problems I had with that car. When the warranty expired, I unloaded that car. It swore me off Detroit 3 cars forever!

My favorite is my 1993 Nissan pickup. I still own it. It has given me less problems in the 24 years I've owned it than the Acclaim gave me in the first year!

Old 05-18-2017, 03:39 PM

345 posts, read 250,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
Best car is a toss up.

VW Beatles before 1975 - about the most fun you can have driving, with upgrades very nible and great traction in snow...or 2007 (3rd gen) Miata. As any Miata owner (that loves driving) will tell you, it's a lot more fun driving a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

Sure, lots of cars can beat a Miata in a straight line race, but you have to spend much more to get a car that can handle the curves like a Miata can. People race them right off the showroom.

Yes, they have the high belt line common in cars today. So, it's common, can't do anything about that.

Visibility is an issue with the top up, as with any convertible, but I've seen worse visibility in other convertibles and hardtops.

A Miata is the most fun I've had driving since I stopped driving air cooled VW's.

A Miata is not hard to get into or out of if you just roll your shoulder as you use the seat shoulder as a pivot point. It also helps to be under 6 ft tall. Another plus, these cars are very reliable.

Worse car: VW Rabbit. I bought one when they first came out. The master brake cylinder failed at 30,000 miles. The car would just stop in the middle of traffic because the circuit boards used were too thin, and would short out the fuel pump at random times. Fortunately for me it was totaled (buy a VW bug) and the insurance adjuster offered me the value of a fully loaded model instead of the basic trim that I had, so with 65,000 miles on the car I got more for it as a wreck than I paid for it originally.
We also owned a first gen car (M edition), and I'd say that it was a much better car than this lump. No biggie, they're easy to sell. Especially one with under 30k.

Old 05-18-2017, 03:40 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,159,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Favorite car that Iv'e owned out of the hundred plus since '78 was my '86 RX7 with the Ford 5.0 swapped in:

Fun car and I had it for 5 years as a race car and street car.

Second favorite is my current E38 7 series BMW.

Least favorite was the Pontiac 6000 I had got in trade for another car and sold as soon as I could after that. Not necessarily a bad car, just really boring with little potential.
You know, when I saw this picture. I new right away it was an RX7 of course. But something in my brain kept going... "Something's not right." I think it was the Ford Color and stripe along with the 5.0 badge that made it look - not RX7. I hadn't even noticed the hood vent.

I've been going back and forth on rebuilding my 13BTT or going LS3. I think I'll wait until I take a look inside to see the condition of the irons and housings and then decide.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:29 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,018 times
Favorites, all for different reasons

My two current vehicles 2006 Ford F-150 Crewcab and 2008 Acura MDX, along with a '72 Duster I had many years ago and the most dependable vehicle I ever owned a '96 Tacoma which I bought in '98 and just unloaded last year.

Looking at buying a class B RV next year, Plan on keeping my current vehicles for many more years.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:52 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,312,833 times
My favorite car was a SAAB 900 turbo hatchback. I loved that car and cried when I traded it in for a Volvo station wagon. My children had just gotten too big to get in and out the backseat. I had over 200000 miles on the SAAB and 10+ years. I found mechanics that could work on it and it ran like a top. It handled like a dream and it just felt right. I miss that car.

I also liked my 2001 Toyota RAV4. Also kept it for many years and it had 200K miles on it. Gave that one to my daughter to use for college and it did her well until she graduated and got her own car.

My current car is a 2012 EX 35 Infinity. I plan to keep it through retirement.

i don't have any least favorite past cars. Just transportation more or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive