Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 12:58 AM

414 posts, read 359,636 times

Advertisements

Considering buying a cheap beach truck since the one I have just died and isn't worth fixing. Been checking Craigslist and there are options at the $1k-$1500 price point. I would probably only put 500 miles a year on it. If it only lasts the summer and is dead next summer then I can deal with that, but ideally it would last a few summers with minimal maintenance.

I'd like to get opinions on the following:

- Is it even worth trying to find something so cheap, or will it just be a waste of time or an arduous task trying to find that diamond in the rough?
- Is buying something with a lot of rust too risky even though the car won't be going far and never driven on the highway? I'm in NJ and there are no safety inspections for better or worse

- If I do decide to go ahead with a purchase, any opinions on which of the following would be a good bet or should be avoided altogether. Explorers and Grand Cherokees are on my avoid list, l4Runners and Wranglers simply don't come cheap no matter how old and rusty. Here's what I'm considering and would like to narrow down the search as much as possible.
- Cherokee - many available on the cheap
- Bronco (might not work since I need a roof rack, but if I get one > 25 yrs old state inspection is not required in NJ and insurance would be dirt cheap)
- Pathfinder / Xterra
- Isuzu Rodeo
- Chevy Blazer

I'm totally fine without luxuries such as working a/c and being realistic that mileage would be very high, probably some rust (it's only going to get rustier at the beach anyway) and might have to deal with some leaks. Obviously I'd have a mechanic check it out to make sure it isn't (too much) of a death trap and is capable of lasting at least a few months.

Opinions/ thoughts appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 04:06 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,826,679 times
I used to go to IBSP, Sandy Hook, and a few other places when I lived up there. I had a pretty nice truck, practically brand new when I started going to the beaches, Wharton State Forest, and other places. I ran it through the car wash after each trip. Never had any rust problems. Did it often in the winter as well because of that crap they put on the roads (brine) which really does a number on brake lines and other chassis components.

I remember one time, the park rangers kicked a guy off the beach because he had an oil leak. It was pretty easy for them to find him as they just followed the drip trail. They wouldn't let him drive it off the beach, made him call a high-dollar offroad tow-truck. So, I'd keep that kind of thing in mind - don't get something that's too much of a POS.

Old 05-24-2017, 04:12 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,257,894 times
Don't worry about the death trap part and get a Suzuki Samurai.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:30 AM

7,188 posts, read 9,322,724 times
I have a friend who has kept an old VW dune buggy with the balloon tires. They work fine on sand.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...U7Xx3fPGSZ9YM:

But I have no idea how to find a used one for sale. Perhaps E-bay cars?

Old 05-24-2017, 07:34 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Why are Explorers and Grand Cherokees on your avoid list?

Old 05-24-2017, 07:49 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,054 times
Cherokee 4.0 should last you a long time even if rusty. Also the best of the 4x4s for offroad use. HUGE aftermarket so if you feel like having fun, you can always mod it extensively and use it for a long time (also means a lot of good spare parts around too keep it running if you don't feel like modding).

Old 05-24-2017, 08:04 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,906,215 times
Chevy tracker

Old 05-24-2017, 11:20 AM

Thanks for the insight - keep the opinions rolling in.

HWTechGuy: Agreed about the oil leaks - I've seen some leaky cars at the beach and that's pretty rude and good point about the expensive tow if caught. I'd be using the car at Brigantine. Leaks will probably be high on my list of questions to ask before even seeing the vehicle if I decide to go for a "throw-away" car. Zero mechanical stills are in my family. My last truck was always at the repair shop, so I'd rather just go cheap and toss it vs dumping money into it. But if it dies at the beach then I'd be in for a $500 tow (or a kind stranger might pull me out for less). That scenario is what might stop me from buying a "throw-away" car.

I wouldn't be surprised if I wind up with a Cherokee - had a '95 years ago, it did leave me stranded once, but was passed around through my family for many years and was surrendered during the Cash of Clunkers program. Imagine how many more old SUVs would be available if not for that program...

I've seen Chevy Trackers at the beach and they seem to do OK, so that's another option - thanks. I'm just not a fan of Explorers and Grand Cherokees - more complex than the other vehicles I'm considering and old Explorers tend to be loud and creaky due to the ball joint problems.

Last edited by Cubicle Dweller; 05-24-2017 at 11:40 AM..

Old 05-24-2017, 12:56 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,591,209 times
I like my REAL suv built on a truck frame 1997 chevy tahoe. Paid $1,100 for it about 3 1/2 years ago put about $800 total into repairs and preventative repairs.

No safety inspections in NJ? I lived in in NJ from 1982-1996 they had safety inspections when i lived there.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
No safety inspections in NJ? I lived in in NJ from 1982-1996 they had safety inspections when i lived there.
Pretty recent development in NJ - maybe past five years or so and now it's just an emissions check. Not sure I agree with it as I prefer my fellow drivers to have tires with tread and decent brakes. Sounds like your Tahoe is serving you well with a low cost of ownership - much better than the Xterra I had that just died which I paid a lot more for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive