Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 07:22 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,771,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
So tell them "no".
No reason to get all dramatic.
Yeah I already know that. Have you read most of the threads on this messageboard? Most people seem to be clueless about cars. This is a forum -it's about spreading information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 07:44 PM

22,667 posts, read 24,639,634 times
ALL sealed-systems leak, all of them. It is just a matter of how much, how quickly.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:56 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,764,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
ALL sealed-systems leak, all of them. It is just a matter of how much, how quickly.
Very true. Gasses escape. Even if it's one molecule at a time. But AC systems take years to fail. A simple recharge can from AutoZone usually does the trick. If not more costly repairs are needed.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:03 PM

18,137 posts, read 25,321,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
That's just dumb. Why in the world would you go to a shop that just changes oil and trust what they say when it comes to your air conditioning? If you have a problem with your house, you don't ask your fast food server what you should fix.
Can you please forgive me?
I'll never do it again

Old 06-03-2017, 06:13 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,346,967 times
My 2001 Isuzu Rodeo Sport got its little ac system serviced last summer...by me. Bought a bottle at Auto Zone and charged her up. I know there's probably a bit of a leak but it's still working well this summer.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:15 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,918,802 times
I'm sure Lexus would LOVE to know about the FRAUD being perpetrated by their dealers.

So you think people who drive Lexus are just a bunch of dummies who made their money by being naive and not asking any questions. And shouldn't trust their Lexus dealer but run around the town searching for a "small guy" to "trust"?

Disagree.

Do you own a new Lexus under warranty? What about the AC filter changes and cleaning which appear about 18 times in the scheduled maintenance? Were they included in the conversations you eavesdropped?

I guess you don't Because you'd know there's a Check AC light on the car that sometimes malfunctions. Google it. AC Amplifier. And sometimes the actual air does get affected but not always. They have a bunch of different error messages. Like "Error reading temperature"

So NO. I'm not having my car serviced by good ole Billy Bob.

But I DO have alot done at my Goodyear dealer which is an awesome and honest location.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 06-03-2017 at 08:45 AM..

Old 06-03-2017, 09:55 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,771,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post

So you think people who drive Lexus are just a bunch of dummies who made their money by being naive and not asking any questions. And shouldn't trust their Lexus dealer but run around the town searching for a "small guy" to "trust"?

Disagree.

Do you own a new Lexus under warranty? What about the AC filter changes and cleaning which appear about 18 times in the scheduled maintenance? Were they included in the conversations you eavesdropped?

Where did I say that? And these people seemed like those who did all required maintenance, including replacing the A/C cabin filter. It doesn't appear "18 times."

The dealership asks everyone, including me, if I want to "get my A/C system checked out" before the hot NC summer. Now that is ridiculous if your system is already blowing out cold air and customers don't even complain about it during their service appointment.

Old 06-03-2017, 02:36 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,505,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Over the past month, I saw 2 people get suckered into an "A/C system service" at a Honda dealership and also a Lexus dealership. I think the customers at the Lexus dealer were even more clueless. These dealers are making huge money on "A/C service."

The A/C "tune-up" includes the following: Check A/C compressor, check belts and hoses for A/C system, includes up to 1lb of refrigerant. The cost for these services start at $50 and go up to $80.

So this is basically a check. They don't even clean anything or service anything. And IF YOU NEED TO ADD REFRIGERANT, then you have a leak in the system that needs to be addressed. The adding refrigerant is a marketing gimmick. A/C systems are CLOSED and do not need refrigerant to be added. I had a 16 year old Acura TL that never need the A/C serviced or refrigerant added.

I heard 1 customer tell his wife that "this is just like getting the house A/C system serviced." That's wrong, because when you get your house A/C system serviced, they actually clean the condenser coils and check and clean the evaporator coils. The house A/C system check already seems like a service you don't need, but for cars it seems like a total waste.

Just trying to warn our good community here!
That's not a bad price to be honest...

I worked in one dealer that charged 1 full hour of labor and for that hour, an AC system performance test, cabin filter if equipped, replaced, clear the drains, and spray the evaporator intake with an anti bacteria and anti fungal spray, if the gauges revealed a low charge and thermometer temp below specs, used the leak detector and usually replace an O ring and recharge. All included. We also would make sure the compressor clutch was working properly and gapped within specs while checking the hoses and belt.

You couldn't pay me enough to rip a dash board assembly to clean an evaporator. Scratch that off the list.
Condenser, I have a wand that blows air to clean between the coils and fins. You don't want to use the harsh cleaning chemicals to clean a modern condenser of light aluminum. It will turn to dust.

Old 06-03-2017, 03:19 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,885,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Until you train, qualify, certify for a license, purchase all the tools and equipment (not to mention a facility) to test, diagnose, repair and/or replace bad components, you will not understand the costs involved to even offer such a service.

Nothing is free in this world. If a person wants piece of mind on any subject, then why tell people who want that assurance that it's a rip off?

When a hose blows, a shaft seal leaks, a belt snaps, or a filter clogs up, you'll end up laying out FAR more to repair such items. If a system seeps .5 an ounce a year from a system, it will take time to see a failure coming. What's wrong with being informed and/or prepared?

Not EVERY shop or tech is out to steal from you. Can you see what a trained eye sees?

G'head, trust your own untrained self, the kid down the street, or Uncle Bill's nephew that has a pair of pliers.

Other people just want a professional judgement and don't mind paying.
well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
The only "check" an A/C system needs is:

Turn it on.
Blows cold.
OK.

< or >

Turn it on.
Blows hot.
Not OK.
really? thats your yardstick? suppose when you refrigerant is low, but not low enough yet to cause problems, would you know that with your "test"? or would you know that perhaps your high side pressure is a bit too high and you are running the risk of hydro locking the compressor? or perhaps there is a clog in the system that you wouldnt know about with your "test".

Old 06-03-2017, 03:39 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,269,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
really? thats your yardstick? suppose when you refrigerant is low, but not low enough yet to cause problems, would you know that with your "test"? or would you know that perhaps your high side pressure is a bit too high and you are running the risk of hydro locking the compressor? or perhaps there is a clog in the system that you wouldnt know about with your "test".
Yeah, really.
When it doesn't blow cold I'll get it checked out.
I've never damaged anything in an A/C system or wasted a dime on specious checks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive