Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 06:19 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times

Advertisements

I get so sick and tired of seeing dead little animals in the road. I live in a rural area, and every morning on my way to work, there is at least four or five little dead creatures that weren't there the day before.

I realize that sometimes little animals can RUN out in front of you, and you don't see them or don't have the time to react. This has happened to me a few times before.

But I wish that people would slow down (especially at night) and be aware that little creatures are out there and be more careful. It's no wonder that deer/car collisions are so plentiful in this country, the way people drive (especially at night).

Just slowing down and being more aware would save many lives, human and otherwise.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 06:51 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I get so sick and tired of seeing dead little animals in the road. I live in a rural area . . .
Then move to a populated area. Roadkill is a fact of life out in the sticks.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:55 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,340,815 times
If the critter is edible, I'd pick it up, skin it, season it and have it for dinner the same day.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:05 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,176,636 times
well, no one should ever drive past their headlights. i'll give you that. but, at the same time, it's not wise to go through extraordinary measures to evade running over an animal. accidents can happen that way, and a human life is more valuable than a squirrel's IMHO.

fact of the matter is, roadkill happens. if you live out in the country, it's even more true.

Mike

Old 11-29-2009, 07:11 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,684,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I get so sick and tired of seeing dead little animals in the road. I live in a rural area, and every morning on my way to work, there is at least four or five little dead creatures that weren't there the day before.

I realize that sometimes little animals can RUN out in front of you, and you don't see them or don't have the time to react. This has happened to me a few times before.

But I wish that people would slow down (especially at night) and be aware that little creatures are out there and be more careful. It's no wonder that deer/car collisions are so plentiful in this country, the way people drive (especially at night).

Just slowing down and being more aware would save many lives, human and otherwise.

20yrsinBranson
I hear ya, but I'm not sure what all is feasible to do.

Just last night we were coming home Minneapolis, driving 70 mph on the Interstate. All of the sudden there were 4 deer moseying across the highway. I didn't hit one, but I sure could have. I'm just happy there weren't a few more following the ones I saw.

Honestly, I don't think speed had much to do with it.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:23 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
well, no one should ever drive past their headlights. i'll give you that. but, at the same time, it's not wise to go through extraordinary measures to evade running over an animal. accidents can happen that way, and a human life is more valuable than a squirrel's IMHO.

fact of the matter is, roadkill happens. if you live out in the country, it's even more true.

Mike
Eastern Illinois football assistant dies in car crash - Chicago Breaking Sports (http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2009/11/eastern-illinois-football-coach-in-car-crash.html - broken link)

Old 11-29-2009, 07:30 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,707,651 times
I had a friend break his neck after swerving and crashing to avoid a squirrel - he flipped his car into a ditch and is lucky he can walk today. Bottom line, never swerve to avoid future roadkill, but be alert and ready to brake, especially between Oct and Dec when deer are rampant on the roads.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:28 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
I had a friend break his neck after swerving and crashing to avoid a squirrel - he flipped his car into a ditch and is lucky he can walk today. Bottom line, never swerve to avoid future roadkill, but be alert and ready to brake, especially between Oct and Dec when deer are rampant on the roads.
I agree with both of the previous posts. You should never swerve to avoid an animal. I have known people who have suffered serious injury when they did this.

I have only had two animals run out that I could not stop in time for. One bobcat in Louisiana and a raccoon just a few weeks ago. I think the raccoon survived, but the bobcat didn't.

So far, knock wood, I have always seen and been able to stop for deer.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-30-2009, 12:16 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,045,108 times
I read a while back that Tennessee now allows roadkill to be collected and eaten as a meal.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:28 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,233,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
If the critter is edible, I'd pick it up, skin it, season it and have it for dinner the same day.
Oh my!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive