Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 08:58 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Your one example doesn't represent the entire, 3 generations of models. Sorry. I know a LOT of racers with them that are having a blast. And turbos rarely go out on them. Maybe you had crap mechanics that didn't know what they were doing (probably dealer techs, amirite?). Yes, some early examples could suffer crankwalk problems (though the internet tends to blow that out of proportion) but turbo failures were exceedingly uncommon until you modified the cars heavily and used upsized turbochargers.

Listen, I know people on this forum hate to listen to people with more experience, but you're just wrong headed about this. "Oh, I had a couple problems with mine therefor everyone had problems and no one liked the cars, 'cause I didn't." Sorry, they were extreme performance cars worldwide. Did you even bother to follow the link I posted? No, probably not. It doesn't fit with your limited worldview.
Quite playing armchair psychologist. You suck at it!

Where did I say my husband's Eagle Talon represented every single one? Oh that's right. I didn't!

Like I said, he drove his under regular driving conditions. He didn't race it. He didn't modify it. He didn't bring it to a dealership. He brought it to a mechanic who's worked on foreign cars for over 30 years.

If you think 3 turbos is a couple of problems, you're insane. Each one cost thousands in parts and labor. Don't know many people who would be thrilled with that.

As I said, it was NOT used as a performance car. What part of that do you not understand? I still stand by what I sad. His was the BIGGEST POS ever made!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 09:29 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Blowing three turbos in a row means there was something wrong with the installation or operation of them. Mitsubishi didn't make many cars but the ones they did make were fairly reliable and robust. In the older turbos one needed to use synthetic oil, have it changed religiously, and have a cool down period after driving of at least one to two minutes under idle. Most ignored this last data point. The smarter folks installed timers just for that procedure.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:55 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post

Where did I say my husband's Eagle Talon represented every single one? Oh that's right. I didn't!

Like I said, he drove his under regular driving conditions. He didn't race it. He didn't modify it. He didn't bring it to a dealership. He brought it to a mechanic who's worked on foreign cars for over 30 years.

If you think 3 turbos is a couple of problems, you're insane. Each one cost thousands in parts and labor. Don't know many people who would be thrilled with that.

As I said, it was NOT used as a performance car. What part of that do you not understand? I still stand by what I sad. His was the BIGGEST POS ever made!
Something was dreadfully wrong in causing 3 turbo failures.

I bought a Subaru WRX from a kid in college who had head gaskets and a timing belt/water pump done on it. Same problem. Toasted turbo. 2 or 3 in a row.

Paid him 3500 for it.

Mechanic used some kind of RTV somewhere and it wound up in the oil feed line and plugged it up. Not solid. But enough to cause oil starvation to the turbo bearings.

Junkyard 250 dollars for a turbo. Forget how much a new oil feed line cost... wasnt significant, all new hardware and gaskets. Sold that car for 8500.

Turbos don't ordinarily fail...

You have to be extraordinarily negligent or have a 1 in a million chance for debris making its way to the compressor wheel and causing an imbalance to having some sort of unique issue.

I'm betting on possibly oil feed was insufficient...

Old 06-26-2017, 10:22 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywhiskers View Post
Nissan has just invested in Mitsubishi. Mitsubishi will be around for a long time.
We have bought only Nissan and Mitsubishi vehicles for a long time. We've had 2 Nissan Frontiers, one Nissan Sentra, one Mitsubishi Eclipse GT and one Mitsubishi Outlander Gt. No problems with any. Love them!

Old 06-27-2017, 08:12 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,736,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post

Like others have said, either just bad luck or something else going on. Just because a mechanic has been working on foreign cars for 30 years means he's been doing it right all those years

Just sayin'...

Old 06-27-2017, 08:38 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,298,652 times
Mitsubishi was the only vehicle which was manufactured and assembled in Japan completely, not sure if they still do it.. The japanese quality control and manufacturing standards have been the best for decades. Even in Asia when all other manufacturers went to cheaper asian markets outside japan, Mitsubishi kept manufacturing their vehicles in japan. They are extremely reliable and nice cars. I used to own their SUV (montero) back in the days. Before that I used to visit Africa and middle east and found their SUVs being driven in deserts and rugged areas every where. Also, the Mitsubishi EVO is a fantastic car. Its probably as good as a Subaru.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:11 AM

9,884 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post
Mitsubishi was the only vehicle which was manufactured and assembled in Japan completely, not sure if they still do it.. The japanese quality control and manufacturing standards have been the best for decades. Even in Asia when all other manufacturers went to cheaper asian markets outside japan, Mitsubishi kept manufacturing their vehicles in japan. They are extremely reliable and nice cars. I used to own their SUV (montero) back in the days. Before that I used to visit Africa and middle east and found their SUVs being driven in deserts and rugged areas every where. Also, the Mitsubishi EVO is a fantastic car. Its probably as good as a Subaru.
Actually for many years, Mitsubishi had a factory in Normal, IL. There they manufactured:

Eclipse/Laser/Talon,
Mirage/Summit
Galant
Avenger/Sebring/Stratus coupes
Endeaver
Outlander Sport.

They also have plants in Thailand, Philippines, China, Russia, Venezuela, and Brazil.

Japan and Normal supplied product until Normal closed. Now everything comes from Japan except for the Mirage which is made in Thailand.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:44 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post
As others have noted, Mitsubishi Motors is pretty strong in Southeast Asia - and has considerable manufacturing in Thailand, Philippines, China and Russia.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:54 PM

628 posts, read 840,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
There are a lot of Samurais around and I have owned mine over 22 years and 100% reliable... only thing I have spent money on is gas, oil/filter and 3 batteries.

It is most capable offroad and this is why I bought it...
But when Suzuki got rid of the Samurai it never made another good vehicle again

Old 06-27-2017, 07:47 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Have never driven anything newer.

I think it was Consumer Reports that spelled the demise of the Samurai in North America.

Still a popular model when I was in Europe and it surprised me to see them in remote mountain locals.

Suzuki is still very much alive and the Sammy set the world record driving higher than any other vehicle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Jimny

Mitsubishi is very popular in places like Africa and has largely replaced Rover in many areas.

The Mitsubishi company is in many markets with many products with auto production being just one.

My CAT D3 Bulldozer is a rebadged Mitsubishi and I work on Mitsubishi medical equipment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive