Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 05:27 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
That's the idea!
Haha, Crown Vic plus when the cop first puts his leg outside the car and you see the stripe on his pants = you know you're in trouble..... It always makes for a good story.

Last edited by dazzleman; 06-29-2017 at 05:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 05:44 AM

9,882 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
But Town Cars just scream limo. I am almost picturing myself holding up a sign. Do they still make it? Now that goes against everything people have said here about the "inevitability"
Nope. The Panther based Town Car went out of production in 2011 along with the Crown Vic. The MKT crossover used for livery service today is labelled as a Town Car. It deletes the 3rd row and offers more features in the second row.

Lincoln Town Car Livery | fleet.ford.com

Old 06-29-2017, 05:55 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Nope. The Panther based Town Car went out of production in 2011 along with the Crown Vic. The MKT crossover used for livery service today is labelled as a Town Car. It deletes the 3rd row and offers more features in the second row.

Lincoln Town Car Livery | fleet.ford.com
I lived by Fords Wixom Michigan assembly plant home of the Lincoln that place was huge, they made the Lincoln, the Town Car, the Tbird older one and the newer one, and at one time the Ford GT. They had their own rail yard for loading the cars onto rail cars, they also had a car hauling company located right in the plant to move the cars to local and long haul deliveries. The staging area outside was nothing but wall to wall new Lincoln's. They own the car Kennedy got shot in it's on display at the Henry Ford museum in Dearborn Michigan back then Ford only loaned the car to the us government. Here are the GT's being made and the Town Car.

Last edited by easy62; 10-09-2019 at 07:08 PM..

Old 06-29-2017, 09:44 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,049,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I rarely see a trooper down here since I drive on local roads most of the time. But when I do, they seem to b the brown Crown Vics. I have also seen other unusual cars that turned out to the state police, like Dodge Chargers.
There are currently four models that are pursuit rated, which many state agencies require their Highway Patrol vehicles to be.
Chevrolet Tahoe
Dodge Charger
Ford PI Utility (A modified version of the Explorer)
Ford PI Sedan (A modified version of the Taurus)
The two Ford Police Interceptor (PI) models are on the same chassis and offer the same drivetrain options.

This year, at the Michigan State Police testing sessions Ford will be certifying their newest model, the Police Responder, which is a hybrid version of the Fusion platform. This link offers info. Agencies also use other vehicles, including some that are seized or that may have significant benefits for various applications. Most - not all - most agencies want the police pursuit certification to help protect against claims if something goes horribly wrong and there is an accident or potential grounds for a lawsuit.

Old 06-30-2017, 04:42 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
There are currently four models that are pursuit rated, which many state agencies require their Highway Patrol vehicles to be.
Chevrolet Tahoe
Dodge Charger
Ford PI Utility (A modified version of the Explorer)
Ford PI Sedan (A modified version of the Taurus)
The two Ford Police Interceptor (PI) models are on the same chassis and offer the same drivetrain options.

This year, at the Michigan State Police testing sessions Ford will be certifying their newest model, the Police Responder, which is a hybrid version of the Fusion platform. This link offers info. Agencies also use other vehicles, including some that are seized or that may have significant benefits for various applications. Most - not all - most agencies want the police pursuit certification to help protect against claims if something goes horribly wrong and there is an accident or potential grounds for a lawsuit.
The Explorer and the Taurus are made at the same assembly plant in Chicago also.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:21 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,228 times
I had one because it was cheap and convenient. I have considered buying another, but for such low mpg I can get something else that will haul stuff. The cost of a car is too high to spend it on just ride comfort.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:27 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
In '15 I replaced my '03 Grand Marquis with a '14 Charger R/T. Very happy so far.

I replaced the stock 18" wheels with 20 " American Racing Torq Thrust IIs with the PVD coating and it really made a nice difference in the look and stance of the car.

Old 07-04-2017, 11:28 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
I had one because it was cheap and convenient. I have considered buying another, but for such low mpg I can get something else that will haul stuff. The cost of a car is too high to spend it on just ride comfort.
Low mpg? My '95 Lincoln Town Car averages around 21 mpg with 50/50 city/highway driving. That is about the same as some "mid-sized" 6-cylinder cars of the same era.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive