Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 07:06 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,041,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
You mean like this? No, I have never experienced that. Maybe they're trying to give you a hint, you shouldn't be hanging out in the left lane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJjtQKND4W8
Wowwww. That's the first time I've seen KRETP enforced in ages!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 07:15 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I'm talking about interstate driving.....
I tend to speed -- but have slowed down as I've gotten older.

It boggles my mind when I seen a line of cars all following one another. I get out of that situation as soon as I can.
ESPECIALLY when it's on a MAJOR highway and the left hand lane is slowed so eventually I pass on the right in the center lane, and the lead car's driver -- FOR MILES in that left lane -- is on the frigging PHONE.

You mean to tell me the first car behind him didn't see that and it never dawned on him or her to just go around. And the second car? And the third car back didn't think what the heck is the slow down? I was something like the sixth car back. NO ONE in front of me thought to move around and see what the deal is???
Anyway.....

During the day when there's more traffic I'm in the middle or left lane passing.
But a lot of my driving is late night and overnight. That's when you might find me in any lane. I'm in whichever lane I can stay in the longest and coast (or fly along) unimpeded -- and also unrushed from behind.

Personally, I can't stay behind a car closing my up but for so long. Some days when I know I had plenty of time, and let's say my exit is coming up in two miles. I'll think: You've got time, the exit is just two miles up, stay behind grandpa -- going 50 on the INTERSTATE......but about a mile into it, with a mile to go I can't take it anymore and I going around -- I pass...Which of course in the daytime likely means now I have an less than a mile to go all the way to the left lane -- around the cars in the center lane also-- and come back to the right for my exit.

I just can't stay poking along but for so long. I feel like I'm wasting my time. I get antsy. I feel like there's no reason to be going that slowly....I'm thinking "really pops?"
I'm like you. I can't stand being impeded and have to get around slowpokes. I like to go pretty fast, though rarely above 85 mph (under really good conditions).

Old 06-28-2017, 07:20 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
In metro-Boston, passing left lane bandits who are texting or on their cell phone on the right is an everyday thing. About half the drivers passing will give them the middle finger. You'll occasionally see somebody toss a beer bottle at their windshield as they're passing on the right.

I used to be a habitual speeder. Enthusiastic enforcement of the speed limits to generate revenue has forced me to slow down. I set the adaptive cruise control to speed limit + 9 mph these days. As a former speeder, I'm very aware of my rear mirror and get out of the way as soon as I can when somebody is rolling up behind me at high speed. Speed limit + 9 seems to be invisible at speed traps. I roll through them constantly and have never had an issue. If Waze tells me there's a cop ahead, I'll click the speed down a few mph.

I usually drive speed limit + 4 on secondary roads. That really pisses off the monster pickups and full size SUVs. All I see in my rear mirror is a huge grille.
Did you slow down because you got a succession of speeding tickets or just because you noticed the enforcement and wanted to avoid getting nailed?

I am still a habitual speeder but I don't drive a lot of miles. I've only had 2 tickets in the last 20 years so I'll take my chances.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:35 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
I'm just asking now.......
Is there any wiggle room to feel sorry for the guy that the cop forced over??

Technically I don't think you're allowed to go over the speed limit to pass, correct?
So, IF the car had sped up -- over the speed limit the cop could have gotten them for speeding.
You may say, that's not likely because the cop was probably on his (her) way somewhere, and wouldn't have had time to fool with stopping the guy who sped up to move over and get out of his way.

But technically the guy COULD have gotten a speeding ticket for exceeding the limit. Soooo once the cop was behind him, the driver was 'sort of stuck.' No? It's either speed over the limit to get out of his way....slow down even more to let the center lane person go by so they get get over behind them.....or stay at the speed limit which by default if the center lane guy is doing that too...you won't pass.

Which is why personally if I'm in the passing lane and see a car flying up behind me, once it's close enough that I see it's a cop, I just get over because I don't even want the hassle of anything else.

Also if I'm in the passing lane doing 80 and and every time I look in the rear view mirror I visibly and see a car gaining on ME going 80.....I slow up a bit to see who that is. I actually ask myself, "I'm doing 80-85, who the heck is this gaining on ME? I got to slow up to make sure it's NOT a cop." And of course if it isn't then I go back to doing what speed I was doing. And move over when the car gets closer.

I will say one thing I'm doing less and less of ....is SLOWING up to get in the center lane to get behind that center car to let someone fly pass in the left hand lane. I used to slow my drive to let someone pass. More and more now...if I AM passing the center lane car -- just NOT as quickly as the car flying up behind me -- that car is just going to have to wait. And when I've passed the center lane car -- then indeed, I will get over.

If I'm doing 70 (in a 55) -- and I speed up even more to pass to 75 in a 55 -- I'm not taking any chances that a cop will be sitting in the trees in the interstate median...and end up clocking ME, and the guy behind me -- that I sped up to let pass -- goes on up the road. I don't think so. They can wait the quarter or half mile it takes me to pass the center car.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:39 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,860,170 times
I will admit to sometimes driving in the left lane on a desolate part of the interstate(ie. West TX, NM, AZ) with hardly any traffic. The reason I do is that the right lane is so rough and like a washboard that it is loosing all the bolts in the car. But, if I see someone coming up behind me, then I immediately move over . I am not a left lane hog.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:54 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I've learned to just hang out in the right lane and do the speed limit. If others want to go faster in the left lane, that's their dumb choice.

If you do the math, going 85 mph instead of the 75 mph limit for a 60 mile trip saves you 5.6 minutes.

You are risking getting an expensive ticket and points to save that time.

Instead, I just leave 10 minutes earlier and I'll get there sooner than you.
This, except I generally go 5 mph over the speed limit just to keep (most) people from riding my rear. Cops here won't pull you over unless your 10 mph + over.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:20 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
When I said 'in your favour', I meant that it's an advantage that you have over we Brits.
If you're driving in the right hand lane at say, 55, and you come across a vehicle in the centre lane doing 50, you can carefully keep on going in your lane to go past that vehicle.
Conversely, on an interstate type road, we over here, to stay legal, would have to move across two lanes to pass that vehicle, then move back across those lanes to the left lane, (right for you).
Yes, but passing on the right is illegal in most states. So if the left lane blocker suddenly decides to get back in the right lane, possibly without signalling, and collides with you, it's a difficult situation.

Some years ago I was driving a delivery van late at night on a main road. Traffic was very light. I was traveling 45 in a 40 mph zone, in the right lane. There was only one other car on the road. He was traveling 30 mph in the center lane. I should have moved all the way over to the left lane to pass him, but I thought I could just shoot by him in the right lane. Just as I got to the back of his car, I saw his brake lights go on, I got nervous, then suddenly he started to turn into my lane. I locked up my brakes and skidded about 50 feet to a stop. I had a light scratch on my van door. I found his car in a hotel parking lot, with extensive damage to the right front fender. It turned out that he was a tourist, who was not familiar with the area, driving a rental car slowly while looking for his hotel. I just happened to be passing him, at the moment he found the hotel. To make a long story short, my company's insurance found me not at fault, for the accident. But then the rental car agency, sent me a bill for the damage anyway. I turned that back over to the company's insurance, and never heard about it again.

Having to pass on the right, is not a situation I like to be in, but like I said it's necessary here.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Wowwww. That's the first time I've seen KRETP enforced in ages!
LOL, the cop didn't really enforce it. He just moved the lane blocker over to the right lane. But yeah, that's the only time it does get enforced, when the lane blocker is impeding a cop.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
This, except I generally go 5 mph over the speed limit just to keep (most) people from riding my rear. Cops here won't pull you over unless your 10 mph + over.
If you are just going 5 over, I will be on your rear. You have to be going 10 over before I will give you a pass.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:27 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,194,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
When you drive in the left lane when you are not passing, you are blocking that lane.
Yes. Just like I stated in my post. The left lane is for passing. As long as it is safe and within reasonable speed to pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive