Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 05:59 PM

2 posts, read 16,294 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I live in San Diego, and I was wondering if anyone with cop experience or experience in getting a ticket can help me out..

So I was driving down a hill with my music playing, going 32mph in a 25 zone, and apparently I did not have my seat belt on (I did).

The cop tells me to pull over, so while pulling over i angrily rip off my seat belt to reach underneath my chair for my wallet, and in sheer frustration.

He tells me that I was going 36mph, could be heard for more than 50ft away with my music, and that I was not wearing a seat belt.

My first question is: If I decide to just pay the fine, how much approx would it be? This is my first ticket ever, if that makes any difference.

My second question is: I am thinking about pleading not guilty for the seat belt and for the car audio. My explanation for the seat belt is what I previously stated. I had it on, was told to pull over, ripped off my seat belt in frustration and to get my wallet which was underneath the chair.

My explanation for the loud music is that everybody's distance perception is different..whats 40 ft for me could be 60 ft for someone else. Also, that unless the cop measured the distance and showed me the proof that I was heard more than 50 ft away, he had no idea how far away exactly I was. Also that he probably has not had any training in sound.

Please help me everyone, I'm 17 and scared ****less

Thanks

Old 02-15-2009, 07:23 PM

117 posts, read 340,665 times
Your first mistake was taking your seatbelt off before the cop got to your car. You should have left it on so he could see for himself that you were wearing one. I always stay in the same position until the cop is next to my window so he can clearly see that I'm pulling out my license and my insurance card. As for the music, you're right. I know I play my music loud. They should be able to provide proof on how far away you can hear the music. Sorry I'm not of any help on how much it would be but IF you were to ever get pulled over again, just keep your seatbelt on.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
forget it, the minute you took off the seat belt you lost it..

Nita

Old 02-16-2009, 08:59 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
You should count your blessings he didn't think you were reaching for a weapon.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:08 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
I'm glad to hear that SDPD actually isssues tickets to kids who blast their stereos! There is nothing more self-centered and anti-social than some jerk bumping his stupid bass in a residential neighborhood.

Be a man, pay your ticket and wise up!

Last edited by NYSD1995; 02-16-2009 at 11:42 AM..

Old 02-16-2009, 11:11 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
hey i know you you are the guy that almost clipped me on my bike 3 months ago at top of the hill.
i put the bike in the storage shed ever since.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:36 AM

170 posts, read 453,676 times
Next time, just put your hands on the steering wheel where the officer can see them, and wait for them to tell you what to do.

Just pay the ticket. You were speeding, and you were disturbing the peace. The seatbelt issue is unproveable (is that a word?).

If you have your citation, you can look up the court on the internet, go to the county clerk section, and (possibly) find out how much your ticket will cost. Or wait for the letter they will send you.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:23 PM

2 posts, read 16,294 times
So there is no chance that I can win in court?

I mean I know I should have kept my seat belt on, but I was in a panic. And I just see the loud music ticket as being ridiculous without proof.

Alright, I just hope that it's not more than 350$, god that would be bad. Really really bad.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:05 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,981,479 times
If the cop stated he heard your music playing very loud, I think that was reason enough to pull you over. It really doesn't matter what distance he heard it from ... loud is loud. Plain and simple.

And aside from disturbing the peace, you are also putting yourself and others at risk.

Loud music makes it difficult for you to hear surrounding traffic noises (horns, emergency vehicles, pedestrians, bicyclists), and you become a danger to yourself and others.

That's one of the reasons accidents happen. When people are doing things that distract them from their ability to drive safely, like blasting their car radios.

Like the previous people said ... just pay the ticket. You were at fault.

Hopefully you will learn from this mistake.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:58 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zefyr View Post
So there is no chance that I can win in court?

I mean I know I should have kept my seat belt on, but I was in a panic. And I just see the loud music ticket as being ridiculous without proof.

Alright, I just hope that it's not more than 350$, god that would be bad. Really really bad.
forget it, as someone said, be glad the cop didn't think you were reaching for a weapon..YOu screwed up, accept it, pay the fine, keep the tunes down and make sure your seat belt on buckled and stays on until you are ready to get out of the car...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: