Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2009, 09:48 AM

21 posts, read 77,482 times

Advertisements

Has anyone done this? I will be arriving in SD in a few weeks and plan to look for work when I get there.

I've got about a years living expense set aside, all credit cards paid down and credit score is good, so I wont feel any immediate pressure if I dont get a job right away, but I am hesitant to do the shared living thing and don't want to do the hotel or extended stay thing. I would really rather just get a large studio or one bedroom. I just dont know how apartment managers would feel about renting to me. I do have a stable work and rental history.

I know if I do get an apartment , and get a job that is not close , then the commute is an issue but, all things considered I still want to get my own place right away. Anyway, a commute anywhere from Camp Pendleton to Chula Vista would be OK, since I used to commute from Temecula to Sorrento valley everyday. My area of choice would be central SD (Clairemont, Mission Hills areas) Does anyone have any thoughts on this, would be much appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 09:55 AM

1 posts, read 6,832 times
I would think that as long as you're willing to pay first and last month's rent plus deposit, they shouldn't have a problem.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dd992emo View Post
I would think that as long as you're willing to pay first and last month's rent plus deposit, they shouldn't have a problem.
Don't count on that. There are many landlords that will not consider renting to someone without a job, especially right now. I am not saying it can not be done, I am sure it can, but it isn't a given..

Nita

Old 02-12-2009, 10:17 AM

Thx for the quick responses. I would even be willing to pay, say, four months up front for a year lease. Or, I could pay off the whole lease up front but at that point I feel it only fair to get a month free or something along that line. Do the managed apartments (La Mirages, Archstones) make these kinds of deals?

Old 02-12-2009, 04:23 PM

387 posts, read 2,130,985 times
Many of the larger apartment complexes want you to make at least 3 times the rent per month, so you might have a problem renting without a job.

You might have better luck with private landlords and smaller apt. complexes over the larger complexes.

I didn't have a job when I signed the lease for my current apartment, but my significant other makes the required amount, so they didn't need to take my income into consideration.

Best of luck to you!

Old 02-13-2009, 09:57 PM

33 posts, read 120,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiTaylor View Post
Many of the larger apartment complexes want you to make at least 3 times the rent per month, so you might have a problem renting without a job.

You might have better luck with private landlords and smaller apt. complexes over the larger complexes.

I didn't have a job when I signed the lease for my current apartment, but my significant other makes the required amount, so they didn't need to take my income into consideration.

Best of luck to you!
That's exactly what I though. Apartments with "a lot of stuff" will be hard to get... small apartments without pools or health centers will be easier.

However, eloquence plays a lot. When I moved to Chicago, I had no job and no credit history. I had some money upfront and great eloquence. I managed to get a $1015 studio 45 stories with 24h doorman and management, pool, health center, laundry, dry cleaning in the fanciest Chicago neighborhood.
Now I'm moving to San Diego... with a self-employement job... some will considere a no job (as I have no experience in the SD area) but I know I will get something nice.

I would use your eloquence before filling any application (as you may not have even the chance to do so...) and also... bring a statement from your savings accounts, a screen-shot of your credit score and if you can, a recommendation letter from your current landlord... it should do the trick!!! I hope and I'm sure it will work fine for me.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percy82 View Post
That's exactly what I though. Apartments with "a lot of stuff" will be hard to get... small apartments without pools or health centers will be easier.

However, eloquence plays a lot. When I moved to Chicago, I had no job and no credit history. I had some money upfront and great eloquence. I managed to get a $1015 studio 45 stories with 24h doorman and management, pool, health center, laundry, dry cleaning in the fanciest Chicago neighborhood.
Now I'm moving to San Diego... with a self-employement job... some will considere a no job (as I have no experience in the SD area) but I know I will get something nice.

I would use your eloquence before filling any application (as you may not have even the chance to do so...) and also... bring a statement from your savings accounts, a screen-shot of your credit score and if you can, a recommendation letter from your current landlord... it should do the trick!!! I hope and I'm sure it will work fine for me.
Great ideas, thanks percy, and everyone else..bringing all of your money and credit info, and references, and"selling" yourself sounds like a plan.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:29 PM

50,255 posts, read 47,017,746 times
You will have no problem, there are tons of people upside down on their rental properties. Just shop around.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:40 PM

284 posts, read 1,016,566 times
We moved here with no job as well but what we did was line up the apartment before my husband put in his 2 weeks. Of course it was risky since we picked it out sight unseen, but it was only a 3 month lease and there are plenty of places with month to month leases. From my experience you will have a hard time finding a place that will not expect proof of income...even the SROs (single room occupancies). I'm sure there are options we didn't explore though!

Old 02-16-2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanna_house View Post
We moved here with no job as well but what we did was line up the apartment before my husband put in his 2 weeks. Of course it was risky since we picked it out sight unseen, but it was only a 3 month lease and there are plenty of places with month to month leases. From my experience you will have a hard time finding a place that will not expect proof of income...even the SROs (single room occupancies). I'm sure there are options we didn't explore though!
Thx everybody. If lining up a job out of state is hard, and getting an apartment is hard without proof of income, then ???? seems like a tricky proposition to just relocate to SD without these two things already lined up. I know there are folks whose companies transferred them to SD, but what about those that just want to get out and go to SD because they just want to? Oh well I guess I'll find out in 2 weeks. I will start out in a hotel in mission valley that I already paid for for 2 weeks and just go from there.Adventure time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego