Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2017, 03:22 PM

407 posts, read 828,879 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone, So I have a situation with my Apple CarPlay in a 2016 Volkswagen Jetta. Since the purchase of the car I have had problems with the App Connect with my iPhone 7. Here and there I would receive an error message when attempting to connect my iPhone to CarPlay. The message reads "unable to connect USB device". I went into the settings app of the iPhone and tapped on "forget device" under CarPlay in settings. Then it worked without any issues for a few months. This past week, the same error messaged appeared. Once again I did the same as last time. Under settings I tapped "forget device" for CarPlay. Plugged in the iPhone into CarPlay via USB and still the same error message. I also reset the touch screen interface in the Jetta to factory settings. Still, error message appears. I have used both Apple brand USB cables and 3rd party USB cables. Problem happens using both cables. I don't know what to do next. Has anyone had issues using CarPlay in any brand vehicle? Not sure what the next steps should be. As of now AppConnect in the Jetta isn't usable.

Thank you for everyone's recommendation.

JazzmanLI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 03:44 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
Not to sound useless, but I really think your next step should be the dealership since the vehicle is under warranty. They will (should) also have product experts on hand to help you out if it is indeed a configurational issue.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:34 PM

407 posts, read 828,879 times
We actually did try the dealership. They told us to use an Apple brand cable. At the time we had a 3rd party cable (I didn't think that was the problem).

Anyway, I fixed it! For those of you driving around in Volkswagens 2016 models to today, I have the solution (I think). If you are using VWs newtouch screen unit, hold down on the power button/volume control knob for 15 seconds. That did the trick!

Old 06-28-2017, 09:21 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzmanLI View Post
We actually did try the dealership. They told us to use an Apple brand cable. At the time we had a 3rd party cable (I didn't think that was the problem).

Anyway, I fixed it! For those of you driving around in Volkswagens 2016 models to today, I have the solution (I think). If you are using VWs newtouch screen unit, hold down on the power button/volume control knob for 15 seconds. That did the trick!
Yes apple is a very proprietary company you have to use their cables.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:33 PM

1,383 posts, read 1,561,928 times
I'll second the recommendation to avoid off-brand cables for connecting iPhones, etc. I know they work for some people, but I've been 0-for-2 with them, myself.

The issue I've had with CarPlay is the randomness with which it switches the audio source from whatever else you had it on. Sometimes it doesn't switch over; just never when you are expecting it to. In 7 months of owning my car, I've never been able to find a rhyme or reason for this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive