Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 08:30 AM

792 posts, read 2,872,915 times

Advertisements

My alternator is making an electrical whine that gets louder with load. I've listened with a stethoscope and I'm sure it's not the bearings. It's not a bearing noise. It's a low, steady whine, not screechy or marble-y.The alternator tests bad under heavy load (with AC and lights and rear defrost, voltage drops below 13V and keeps dropping), but puts out voltage to spec when not loaded like that. I'm planning to replace it because of the bad test and the noise. I just would like to understand what's wrong with it for my knowledge, which is pretty minimal. Anyone know what could make an alternator whine besides the bearings?

98 Altima
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 08:33 AM

17,568 posts, read 15,232,801 times
Insulation worn off wiring in one of the turns and arcing to the casing?

I'd think that'd be more of a buzzing than a whine, but..

There's just not much there to go wrong, you got your magnets, you got your windings. If it's not one of those.. Maybe the hamster inside is crying?

Old 06-30-2017, 08:54 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,988,903 times
Bad diodes. Just go ahead and replace it. It won't fix itself. Or if you want to, see if you can find a rebuild kit and give it a try if you want. I've rebuilt some of mine before. But they were older simpler designs. You will need at least a 100 watt soldering iron though. Those little cheap pencil type 30 watt jobs just don't do the job.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:12 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
How old is it? If it is a teenager - they all whine from time to time. Just sing a song and drown it out.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:21 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPisgah View Post
My alternator is making an electrical whine that gets louder with load. I've listened with a stethoscope and I'm sure it's not the bearings. It's not a bearing noise. It's a low, steady whine, not screechy or marble-y.The alternator tests bad under heavy load (with AC and lights and rear defrost, voltage drops below 13V and keeps dropping), but puts out voltage to spec when not loaded like that. I'm planning to replace it because of the bad test and the noise. I just would like to understand what's wrong with it for my knowledge, which is pretty minimal. Anyone know what could make an alternator whine besides the bearings?

98 Altima
Bearings, maybe. But if the radio is turned on and you hear an electrical whine that goes up and down with the engine RPM, then it could be that the radio needs to be grounded properly.

Old 07-01-2017, 05:54 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPisgah View Post

98 Altima
An alternator is a three phase device. If a diode has failed or there is a bad winding in one of the phases there will be a gap in what should be a smooth production of current and the windings will whine. That this is the problem is confirmed by the poor output under full load.

Don in Austin

Old 07-01-2017, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Bearings, maybe. But if the radio is turned on and you hear an electrical whine that goes up and down with the engine RPM, then it could be that the radio needs to be grounded properly.
The theory about the radio does not explain the poor output from the alternator under load. There is a failure of a diode or a winding fault such that one of the three phases of the alternator is not working.

Don in Austin

Old 07-01-2017, 10:57 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
The theory about the radio does not explain the poor output from the alternator under load. There is a failure of a diode or a winding fault such that one of the three phases of the alternator is not working.

Don in Austin
Yes, that's true. I was referring a winning noise from the alternator. Bearings that are dry can cause that noise.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Yes, that's true. I was referring a winning noise from the alternator. Bearings that are dry can cause that noise.
A similar noise and its easy to make a mistake about this, but not a load-sensitive noise.

Don in Austin

Old 07-02-2017, 07:29 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,071,773 times
Could the fan belt be too tight causing too much load on the bearings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive