Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2017, 04:06 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,193,250 times

Advertisements

I was driving through Brainerd, MN. A smallish town in central Minnesota and there were thousands of VW's filled the empty lots of a closed paper mill. The mill has been closed for about 15 years or so. There are railroad tracks that go through there. If you watch the video you will see a body of water, the Mississippi River is right next to the mill. When I drove by a few months ago I didn't notice the cars so it probably started recently.

Maybe be able to pick a fixed VW's cheap soon. I was thinking they may just resell them in another country cheaper than fixing.

Brainerd facility becomes Volkswagen dumping ground as thousands of recalled cars await their fate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 04:22 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,410,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
I was driving through Brainerd, MN. A smallish town in central Minnesota and there were thousands of VW's filled the empty lots of a closed paper mill. The mill has been closed for about 15 years or so. There are railroad tracks that go through there. If you watch the video you will see a body of water, the Mississippi River is right next to the mill. When I drove by a few months ago I didn't notice the cars so it probably started recently.

Maybe be able to pick a fixed VW's cheap soon. I was thinking they may just resell them in another country cheaper than fixing.

Brainerd facility becomes Volkswagen dumping ground as thousands of recalled cars await their fate
"I was thinking they may just resell them in another country cheaper than fixing."

I would think that's almost a given especially since they are diesels. Only drawback would be that the OEM suspension is probably insufficient for many places with rough roads. I could see swaths of these in Kenya, Namibia, Argentina.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
These will not be resold ANYWHERE without modifications (The CARB suit made certain of that)

I enjoyed the public radio blurb that described how people were making VERY good income buying these from non-VW dealers and selling them back to VW. One guy made $238k! He mortgaged his home and very soon had it paid off! He was buying over 20 cars on the day of the broadcast alone!.

Too bad,,, instead of the PO getting 50 mpg and making a micro dent in Fossil fuels and emissions over life of the car... they will be buying and using far less efficient vehicles for the next decades.

50 mpg since 1976... no dinosaurs or toxic batteries required.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:53 AM

628 posts, read 840,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
These will not be resold ANYWHERE without modifications (The CARB suit made certain of that)

I enjoyed the public radio blurb that described how people were making VERY good income buying these from non-VW dealers and selling them back to VW. One guy made $238k! He mortgaged his home and very soon had it paid off! He was buying over 20 cars on the day of the broadcast alone!.

Too bad,,, instead of the PO getting 50 mpg and making a micro dent in Fossil fuels and emissions over life of the car... they will be buying and using far less efficient vehicles for the next decades.

Cant they be resold to other countries

Old 08-07-2017, 05:40 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,250,398 times
At least half of them are now eligible for resale after the emissions problem is fixed and the cars themselves are reconditioned. A lot of them that were turned in by previous owners had been badly neglected.

So when these cars go on sale, not only will they be fixed up but they should also come with an extended warranty. And the prices should be very reasonable.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:55 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,741,137 times
Quote:

The ruling stated:
'Settling Defendants may not export or arrange for the export of 2.0 Liter Subject Vehicles, unless such vehicle has been modified in accordance with the applicable Approved Emissions Modification ...'

However, it doesn't say what country's applicable modification. Just that it has to meet the emissions requirements for where it was exported to. Legal grey areas like this always result in the most liberal viewpoint being law. So, if they were exported to a country without current leading practice emissions laws (such as Euro 6), or where laws like this don't apply to used vehicles, it may very well fly. Countries such as Australia, South Africa, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, and I'm sure many others in the 3rd world have much lower standards (Euro 1 or 2, or less) than the US and these cars would most likely meet or exceed the local emission regs. Based on the research I have done, these recalled cars would have passed the Euro 3 standard which would allow them to be sold in Russia as well.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
The ruling stated:
'Settling Defendants may not export or arrange for the export of 2.0 Liter Subject Vehicles, unless such vehicle has been modified in accordance with the applicable Approved Emissions Modification ...'

However, it doesn't say what country's applicable modification. Just that it has to meet the emissions requirements for where it was exported to. Legal grey areas like this always result in the most liberal viewpoint being law. So, if they were exported to a country without current leading practice emissions laws (such as Euro 6), or where laws like this don't apply to used vehicles, it may very well fly. Countries such as Australia, South Africa, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, and I'm sure many others in the 3rd world have much lower standards (Euro 1 or 2, or less) than the US and these cars would most likely meet or exceed the local emission regs. Based on the research I have done, these recalled cars would have passed the Euro 3 standard which would allow them to be sold in Russia as well.

Some of the countries you list are Right Hand drive Cars / Left hand drive roads...Brazil / Argentina may allow a few, but Europe doesn't want a bunch of de-tuned wimpy slugs. Russian's would not tolerate de-tuned iron, and certainly not USA spec AUTOMATICS! Who would want those? (No-one)
I expect VW will use it as a 'write-off' and most will be shredded.

China has it's own revenue / import issues, so they are not going there (They don't want / drive automatics either)

Their (VW-D) toast (and scrap metal prices will reflect that). Pretty sad, since just my lowly evil VW 'all-by-itself' has 'conserved' 60,000 gal of dino fuel for others to waste... Multiply that by 500,000 and you have something almost significant! (about the same as downsizing 2M guzzling SUV's)
https://www.wired.com/2016/04/vws-bl...alled-diesels/

Old 08-09-2017, 08:06 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,741,137 times
Quote:
Some of the countries you list are Right Hand drive Cars / Left hand drive roads...Brazil / Argentina may allow a few, but Europe doesn't want a bunch of de-tuned wimpy slugs. Russian's would not tolerate de-tuned iron, and certainly not USA spec AUTOMATICS! Who would want those? (No-one)
I expect VW will use it as a 'write-off' and most will be shredded.

China has it's own revenue / import issues, so they are not going there (They don't want / drive automatics either)

Their (VW-D) toast (and scrap metal prices will reflect that). Pretty sad, since just my lowly evil VW 'all-by-itself' has 'conserved' 60,000 gal of dino fuel for others to waste... Multiply that by 500,000 and you have something almost significant! (about the same as downsizing 2M guzzling SUV's)
https://www.wired.com/2016/04/vws-bl...alled-diesels/
In Russia, given the tax structure for new cars, I would bet these could be imported and sold in a minute. And Russians buy these kinds of cars all day long, atleast from what I've seen traveling in Moscow and St. Pete.

They would not need to be detuned in any way since they already exceed or meet the emission regs in these countries. The recalled cars were supposed to meet Euro 6 standards. They obviously didn't. But they do meet Euro 3 standards, and in a lot of countries that is plenty good enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive