Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 07:05 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,248,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Subaru has the tightest tolerance and they sell 500,000+ cars per year in the United States these days. 2/32" is the max tread depth difference between tires. If you have a tire fail, you have to shave the replacement tire to match or replace all four tires.
Prove it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 07:13 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,261,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Prove it.
2 seconds with Google gave this result

https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/docs-...-shave-as-well

Old 07-11-2017, 07:21 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,609,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfertx View Post
My Toyota 2004 WD (not sure if it's true 4x4) two front tires are getting low on thread and will need to be replaced soon.
I read online that for all wheel drive cars you must change all four tires at the same time. Is that correct? I rather not buy four new tires since the rear ones still have a lot of thread on them.
I have an AWD, large SUV, and I only replaced the two front tires.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:35 AM

946 posts, read 1,138,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I have an AWD, large SUV, and I only replaced the two front tires.
Thank you.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:38 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,775,567 times
Quote:
My Toyota 2004 WD (not sure if it's true 4x4) two front tires are getting low on thread and will need to be replaced soon.
I read online that for all wheel drive cars you must change all four tires at the same time. Is that correct? I rather not buy four new tires since the rear ones still have a lot of thread on them.
No for most cases.

Quote:
Is it normal for AWD car to have front wear out faster? Wife did replace all 4 tires (bought from Costco) about two years ago.
If one never rotates tires then one would notice that on any car that the front tires wear faster than the rear. Keep in mind that those are the tires that turn left and right also. Add also that front tires have to grip the road first, so depending how hard one hits the accelerator that will also create wear.

As a owner of Japanese AWD's (Subaru and Lexus/Toyota going back to the 90's) they've all been FT systems. So whenever a negative situation occurs the other tires take over and adjust the drive. American AWD's are PT systems, they are normally in 2WD and convert to AWD when the needs arises. They feel of of the drive is noticeably different.

Normally replacing two tires will be fine. But it depends on how much the wear is on the other tires. So if your front tires are reaching 2/32 and your rear tires are at much higher X/32 let's say. Then you need to take the vehicle somewhere and check it for front end for issues. It could be something as small as needing an alignment or something as large as a frame problem.

Last edited by Pruzhany; 07-11-2017 at 08:43 AM..

Old 07-11-2017, 08:00 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,401,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
Exactly. That's why I was inquiring in regards to the model.
No you don't, you can do one tire if you wanted

Old 07-11-2017, 08:34 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,581,569 times
i would never have known that these cars were so sensitive to such minor differences.

i dont think the car will fail to start if you only change 1, 2, 3, donut spare, ... tires; however, from the tone of this thread, i gather it would be more ideal to change all 4 at once, finances permitting, so that the fwd/4wd/awd/... system operates optimally.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:57 AM

1,062 posts, read 982,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
No for most cases.

If one never rotates tires then one would notice that on any car that the front tires wear faster than the rear. Keep in mind that those are the tires that turn left and right also. Add also that front tires have to grip the road first, so depending how hard one hits the accelerator that will also create wear.

As a owner of Japanese AWD's (Subaru and Lexus/Toyota going back to the 90's) they've all been FT systems. So whenever a negative situation occurs the other tires take over and adjust the drive. American AWD's are PT systems, they are normally in 2WD and convert to AWD when the needs arises. They feel of of the drive is noticeably different.

Normally replacing two tires will be fine. But it depends on how much the wear is on the other tires. So if your front tires are reaching 2/32 and your rear tires are at much higher X/32 let's say. Then you need to take the vehicle somewhere and check it for front end for issues. It could be something as small as needing an alignment or something as large as a frame problem.
National origin doesn't matter-- Most AWD vehicles are FWD until the front wheels slip then they transfer power to the rear.

Some Subaru models are full time 50/50 torque split. Audis with the longitudinal drivetrain (A4 and higher models) are 50/50 torque split or 60/40 etc.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee and Durango are RWD until the rear wheels slip but some models also have a real transfer case that can lock

Old 07-11-2017, 09:05 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,775,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
No you don't, you can do one tire if you wanted
It seems that per the manual the RAV4 is now a PT AWD system, so depending on the depth of all four tires and their location on the vehicle it may cause it to pull in a different direction than center. Also it seems that all four tires need to be similar is size due for the electronics to work correctly. Has nothing to do with normal driving. It has no off road capability at all

Quote:
Make sure that all tires are of the specified size, brand, tread pattern and
total load capacity. In addition, make sure that the tires are inflated to the
recommended tire inflation pressure level.
The ABS, TRAC and VSC/Trailer Sway Control systems will not function
correctly if different tires are installed on the vehicle.
Quote:
Do not mix tires of different makes, models or tread patterns.
Also, do not mix tires of remarkably different treadwear.
https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docu...f/OM42A41U.pdf

Makes me not to ever want to own this particular Toyota vehicle.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:30 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,909,271 times
The dealer replaced 2 tires at a time for me for my Lexus RX350, so I don't see why not. I honestly can't remember if they rotated or changed anything up, but the dealer will do it, so I'm sure it's fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive