Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 08:25 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,260,309 times

Advertisements

Saw a Tesla display in a mall near here. Walked over to check it out and the guy manning the show let me set in one. I forget the model number but the price was 100k. It has an enormous digital display that was just amazing. It even showed where every charging station in the area was located.

The coolest thing I learned was all about Ludicrous Mode. Seems this car will go from 0-60 in just 2.3 seconds in Ludicrous Mode. The car has two electric motors, one front and back that launch the car in this mode. The guy told me the G's from this launch are incredible.

He even offered to let me take it out and drive it, which of course I didn't do because I was with my family. I regret that now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 09:14 PM

19,037 posts, read 27,614,590 times
It will go. Also, will eat most of battery charge. Also, it has a BUNCH of safeguards preventing this and that from happening, so it won't go in any extensive mode for any extensive period of time.
Why bother. For what it is Bolt is a better EV.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:42 PM

8,343 posts, read 6,435,284 times
Was the battery dead?

Old 07-01-2017, 10:19 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,377,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Why bother. For what it is Bolt is a better EV.
You care to elaborate on this? I would argue that the Tesla Model S and soon to be released Model 3 are superior to the Bolt in practically every possible objective measure. Subjectively I find the Teslas to be sex on wheels, compared to the pedestrian looking Bolt.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:56 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,321,730 times
I also got to sit in a Tesla. Model S. Someone from a walking group drove it to the meeting place; it was a loaner car while his was being repaired (body damage). But I did not sit in it for long so can't really describe it well.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:06 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,260,346 times
They've been an everyday sight here(Portland metro area) for years now. The mall showroom seems to be their common approach to a new market.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:41 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,259,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
soon to be released Model 3 are superior to the Bolt in practically every possible objective measure.
Have you driven a Model 3?
Please tell us all about it!

Old 07-02-2017, 04:09 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,952,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
You care to elaborate on this? I would argue that the Tesla Model S and soon to be released Model 3 are superior to the Bolt in practically every possible objective measure. Subjectively I find the Teslas to be sex on wheels, compared to the pedestrian looking Bolt.
Model S is a $100k car. Model 3 isnt even out yet. Model 3's interior is basically plywood with an iPad attached to the center and no gauge cluster in your line of sight. About $200 was budgeted for the interior.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:05 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,952,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Saw a Tesla display in a mall near here. Walked over to check it out and the guy manning the show let me set in one. I forget the model number but the price was 100k. It has an enormous digital display that was just amazing. It even showed where every charging station in the area was located.

The coolest thing I learned was all about Ludicrous Mode. Seems this car will go from 0-60 in just 2.3 seconds in Ludicrous Mode. The car has two electric motors, one front and back that launch the car in this mode. The guy told me the G's from this launch are incredible.

He even offered to let me take it out and drive it, which of course I didn't do because I was with my family. I regret that now!
The G's you get from all high performance cars feel amazing. However regular cars don't go into limp mode after a few laps at the track. As Expected, Tesla Model S Fails To Lap Nurburgring Under Full Power

There will be plenty of people to tell you how amazing a Tesla is.
Let me list what isn't amazing.

1) go build and price anything to $100k. It will also be amazing. As far as $100k cars go, Tesla is a bit spartan. A Mercedes well below at this price point will have heated arm rest and massaging seats. A fully loaded Tesla doesn't even have vented seats that can be found on a $25k Kia. Forget any massage action.

2) dealership experiences are limited to your nearest megapolis. Tesla's are common near me, but the nearest service center is 3 and a half hours away. A squeaky dash requires a road trip.

3) consumer reports has a love/hate relationship with Tesla. First it was the best car ever tested, then it pulled its recommended rating for exessive trips to the dealer.

4) nobody can work on a Tesla except Tesla. If something breaks out of warranty, only Tesla can fix it and they will charge you whatever they want.

5) performance is limited to drag racing. That's basically a Hellcat at almost twice the price.

6) a long trip requires careful planning along predetermined routes by Tesla. If you want to take a scenic drive down A1A or the Blue Ridge Parkway prepare for some added time to back track to a supercharging station by the interstate.

7) if you do use superchargers, prepare for a wait. https://www.google.com/amp/bgr.com/2...alifornia/amp/ That's only with less than 200k Tesla's on the road, wait till they start pumping out half a million Model 3's a year.

Tesla's huge screen is a selling point for most people, however other automakers are catching on and are offering dual 12in screens with more attention being spent on the gauge cluster. Check out Audi's virtual cockpit...https://www.audiusa.com/newsroom/top...irtual-cockpit

This is the Model 3's interior : https://i2.wp.com/electrek.files.wor...trip=all&ssl=1
This is a comparibly priced Audi A4: https://c.slashgear.com/wp-content/u...Audi-A4-48.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive