Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 02:49 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times

Advertisements

When you can do an online search and buy from an out of state dealership, have it shipped and still save thousands of dollars. I've purchased many cars in the last 8 years from out-of-state dealerships in this manner. In each case, i've saved on average 4K. Sure, you can't trade in a car if that is a concern. I usually sell it on my own or take a small loss by selling it to Car Max. In the end I still save more money than if I had gone to my local dealership. I don't know why more people don't do this. People buy auto parts and other merchandise online to save money but they don't really do the same with cars. I typically do a search using cars.com and
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 04:48 AM

5,675 posts, read 5,885,028 times
Because my local dealer has better deals. I can bring in any ad, any other offer from any other dealer and they will beat it, regardless of where the other dealer is.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:05 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times
Because I want to test drive before I buy can't do that online can you.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:11 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
Don't know, have never bought a new car and probably never will.

8 years you say? I've owned my car for 12 years and my truck for 14 ~ why are you intentionally throwing money away on new cars instead of keeping something that's paid for and enjoying a time with no car payments? Take vacations, start dumping some money into retirement/emergency funds, kill off Other debt, etc...

Old 07-12-2017, 05:24 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I have never bought from a local dealer, my new cars have been from places an hour to two hours away, but in the same state. When you buy out of state the tax and license must be paid after the car is here, and that means another several thousand dollars out of pocket, not financed. That reduces the down payment, having to hold onto that much for the state. It also eliminates the possibility of trading in the old car, so you have the hassle of selling it yourself. I have still managed to pay at least $4,000 under sticker thanks to lower overhead and less demand in farther out areas.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:30 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
I live in a smaller town, so the dealers here (only two) don't sell enough inventory to have low prices, they need to make the most they can per vehicle. I always drive an hour away to the bigger high volume dealers since there's more room to negotiate there.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:18 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,826,679 times
I've never bought new. I always buy late-model used/certified. I'll buy it from wherever I can get the best deal on a car that I want. I bought my Honda from the local Honda dealer where we lived at the time. It was the second car I bought from them.

I bought my Toyota from a dealer that is two towns away from where I live now. I bought that car almost a year ago and am confident I could sell it today for more than I paid. It's all about getting a good deal.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:35 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,050,294 times
I have purchased my new vehicles from nearby because I can negotiate the same deal in a near dealership as I can from any other. Dealer incentives from the manufacturer are regionalized and are based (by law) on the place where the car will be kept. I have never paid over invoice for a new car and have been able to negotiate that in a matter of minutes with a dealer of my choice.

Used vehicles are a different story. I will travel the nation to get what I want for the best available deal. I have flown over 1,000 miles to pick up a vehicle that I was saving thousands of dollars on. This is because the price of certain types or models will vary greatly based on location, regional preferences, and season. I do not have them shipped, but fly to the vehicle location to see and inspect it before handing over the money. I then drive my new purchase home.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:01 AM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
I buy new form a local dealer and use them for maintenance while under warranty. I know all dealers will warranty/maintain but I feel I have more "clout" when I bought the car there.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:43 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times
I buy from a local dealer since I live in Detroit there are dealers very close together so I can car shop all day long at different dealers. In fact I can go to the Ford Rouge assembly plant and watch them make the F150.

Last edited by easy62; 07-12-2017 at 11:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive