Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 12:35 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,850,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well, for maximum dehumidification, you want to put on the A/C, but with the temp set to hot (what this does is first chill the air to remove moisture, then heat it to further reduce the humidity in the air), and you want to be on outside air, if you go to recirc the air that has picked up water mostly stays in the car.

I still don't think this is a good idea, you need to be checking on the car every few minutes to make sure it does not overheat. Maybe a better idea is to go for a drive wearing light clothing, put on the A/C and maybe turn the heat half to 3/4 up. Driving the car will keep an operator (you) in the driver's seat, and will provide better air flow to the A/C condenser. Plus you could actually go for a pleasure drive, or go somewhere you want to go.
Modern vehicles are perfectly fine idling for long periods of time. I can be doing productive things while the car finishes drying itself out. The auxiliary fan will occasionally kick in and I can hear that happen while I'm inside working. Thanks for the confirmation of no "Recirc."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 08:35 AM

32,668 posts, read 48,104,757 times
I think you will have better luck by removing the carpeting and laying it out in the sun and running a power cord out to the car and running a nice big box fan in the car with all the windows open.

Wet vac and then towel dry everything.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:22 AM

308 posts, read 499,568 times
Unfortunately I don't think the AC will dry it completely. The best way is to remove the carpet and jute (padding) to dry it completely. The carpet may seem dry on the surface but the jute will still be wet underneath. Over time it will begin to mold/mildew and stink really bad. good luck

Last edited by jalam321; 07-27-2017 at 11:32 AM..

Old 07-27-2017, 12:05 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,112,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Modern vehicles are perfectly fine idling for long periods of time. I can be doing productive things while the car finishes drying itself out. The auxiliary fan will occasionally kick in and I can hear that happen while I'm inside working. Thanks for the confirmation of no "Recirc."
Well, no, actually, they are not. Usually one gets away with it, but, for example, a failed fan relay or burst radiator hose - something you should catch yourself if you are paying attention as you drive - can metastasize into a blown head gasket or worse if you leave the car running unattended. To use a tractor unattended, say to run a pump, one puts a "mercury switch" on it, this mercury switch is a simple device that will shut down the engine if it overheats or loses oil pressure.

Go on, do it your way, but if you have a problem, "I told you so".

Old 07-27-2017, 01:47 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,850,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well, no, actually, they are not. Usually one gets away with it, but, for example, a failed fan relay or burst radiator hose - something you should catch yourself if you are paying attention as you drive - can metastasize into a blown head gasket or worse if you leave the car running unattended. To use a tractor unattended, say to run a pump, one puts a "mercury switch" on it, this mercury switch is a simple device that will shut down the engine if it overheats or loses oil pressure.

Go on, do it your way, but if you have a problem, "I told you so".
Thanks for your input but equating a tractor with a PTO and high RPMs to a 2016 passenger vehicle at idle is not a good comparison, and it's right outside the door with any changes being easily heard. I have never seen an owner's manual that warns of idling.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:18 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,404,133 times
Why not just buy a small dehumidifier on Amazon and let it run overnight each night. When you're done with it, sell it on ebay. Better for your car, better for the environment, and honestly probably a better result too. If faced with the same situation, it's what I would probably do.

I do agree with parking in the hottest place possible though, that should help pull a lot of water out. Running the AC at full blast on recirculate should help too.

Old 05-31-2021, 11:54 AM

23,326 posts, read 18,903,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inespolo View Post
Huh, why would anyone wet a carpet inside the car? It sounds very weird.
Before replying to a thread (zombie or not) its best to read it first!

Old 06-04-2021, 07:19 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,430,677 times
Use a shop vac and just leave windows open, ac won’t dry the carpet, heat will, I’ve never seen a AC clothes dryer only ones that generate hot air. If you want leave heat on blower on high and shut the windows. Otherwise just get as much water out with the shop vac and leave windows open to air out.

Old 06-04-2021, 02:57 PM

9,525 posts, read 4,353,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
It won't dry all the way. You need to remove your interior and let it dry. The carpet has rubber backing and under it the insulation batting is wet. That will take months to completely dry as the water vapor can't escape. Same with your seats and foam.
If it rained hard and you had a lake in the car the water got soaked in everything.

You can try it your way but three hours won't do it imo. I would leave the windows open on a hot day

Exactly.

Even worse, while it's drying over a period of months, mold will form. Removing the interior is the only way to dry it out properly.

Old 06-04-2021, 03:03 PM

5,676 posts, read 5,896,314 times
Maybe by now its dried out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive