Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 12:49 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,459,853 times

Advertisements

So sorry, I would never tell anyone that likes a V6 to get a 4...unless their lifestyle has changed and they only
drive to work and shopping and home and that's it.
I luv 6 cyls. Period. and they luv me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 01:47 PM

11,762 posts, read 14,692,812 times
If I've ever had a six cylinder car it's been many years, and I've never wished for one.

Here are some factors:

1. the six cylinder will have a higher initial cost than the four. Probably thousands of dollars.
2. the six cylinder will burn more gas than the four, which over the years you own it will add up to real money.
3. A four cylinder vehicle has plenty of power to do everything you need it to do. You can easily drive the speed limit or above even with 4-5 people in it. You will have no problem keeping pace with traffic. Just the other day I noticed I was up to 82 in my Prius and until looking at the speedometer it was not at all noticeable. Just how fast do you think you need to go?
4. You can do your own research, but I do not believe there is reliable scientific evidence that a six cylinder car lasts longer than a four, both being properly maintained.

Last edited by jackmccullough; 08-15-2017 at 02:23 PM..

Old 08-15-2017, 01:47 PM

8,713 posts, read 11,120,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I'd take a V6 with 200hp over a turbo 4cyl with 250hp. To me, power isn't everything, I like smoothness and refinement.
same here, I feel a slight slugglishness or the engine is pushing hard from 0-30.....then the turbo spooling.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:48 PM

960 posts, read 2,030,337 times
In this day, you can't simply compare 4 versus 6 cylinders. Each car is different. Heck, in the new Mustang, the Turbo 4 is an upgraded engine with slightly more power than the regular 6.

Some 4's will be noisy and/or underpowered. Some will be great. It will depend upon the engine and transmission. Best bet is not to ask on an internet forum, but go drive the cars and see what suits you.

In some cases (for example the Acura TLX) multiple magazines have actually preferred the 4 cylinder to the 6, as even though it is down on power, the lighter weight over the front wheels makes the car much more fun to drive (my personal test drive didn't really agree with this). Fun to drive handling probably isn't the top of the list of you are looking at SUVs, but it should all come into play for picking a car.

Engines are all getting more powerful, that for some, even a 4 is "enough." and that will continue to be more and more likely as time goes on. Volvo is moving to 4 cylinders only now and that kind of thinking will continue as time goes on.

Old 08-15-2017, 02:17 PM

23 posts, read 29,200 times
4 cylinder engines today are not the underpowered engines of the 80s and 90s. A lot of manufacturers have replaced their V6 stock with 4 cylinder engines or have introduced 4 cylinder engines as the base engine. Some 4 cylinders aren't the best i.e. Ford Fusion. But with a lot of 4 cylinders producing 200HP now, if there's a choice and you're happy with the level of options a 4 cylinder car might bring, go for it. Try it out.

Old 08-15-2017, 02:25 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,497,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I just "downgraded" from a 12 Mustang GT to a 16 Ecoboost.. I love it, actually. It doesn't have same sound obviously, or brute power, but, its a smoother ride and certainly quick.
hhhmmm. We may have to talk, because I've been wanting to get another Mustang, and of course, I'm always wanting the GT over anything else. However, I've warmed up to the idea of the Ecoboost turbo. Of course, that being said, I'd probably have to upgrade the exhaust.

Old 08-15-2017, 02:32 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,908,129 times
I'm not a gearhead, but when we went from the 2003 V6 Passat to the 2016 4 cylinder Legacy, it seems pretty much like a wash. The VW was maybe slightly quicker at 0-30, but both are pretty similar when at cruising speed.

Agree that the thing to do is just go drive a few of the options, keeping in mind that any rental cars are going to be the lower part of the trim and performance line.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:48 PM

4,272 posts, read 8,192,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
hhhmmm. We may have to talk, because I've been wanting to get another Mustang, and of course, I'm always wanting the GT over anything else. However, I've warmed up to the idea of the Ecoboost turbo. Of course, that being said, I'd probably have to upgrade the exhaust.
I love it.. Overall its a better car in every regard (other than the speed and sound). If you haven't driven one, you owe it to yourself to try it out. I rented one and bought one a few months later.

I'm looking to add a Flowmaster Outlaw exhaust soon.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:31 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,754,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Upgrade the exhaust on a four banger? It would probably sound like one of those fart can Civics.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:00 PM

8,272 posts, read 11,036,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctos23 View Post
Do I really need that power for the kind of driving I do that I described? Or am I being overkill?

Thanks for any input.
Do you want a blue car or a green car. It's all personal choice.

All cars/SUV's/Trucks go fast today.

The engines today of most front wheel drive cars are in sideways. So the V6 is in car sideways.
If you only keep a car a few years it doesn't matter what engine you get.
With a V6 when time comes to change the spark plugs - a few engines have to be taken out of the car to change the spark plugs. As well as some with water pump.

You should be more concerned if the engine has a timing chain or a timing belt. If a timing belt you should be checking if the engine is an interference engine or a non-interference engine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive