Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 01:25 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey340 View Post
I agree: Road salt in the North and heat/sun in the South are tough on vehicles.
These two things do far more damage to a vehicle over time than anything else. There are potholes everywhere...LA doesn't hold the market on that not even by a long shot. I live in Western NY home of Snowmeggeden and there are potholes here year round where you can literally pop your bumper out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Seeing that cars of a couple decades of age in PA are typically rusted out hulks I'd say advantage California. PA doesn't have the smog inspections in much of the state like California does it does have yearly vehicle safety inspections.
NY has very strict emissions requirements for passing vehicle inspections like California. it's RARE to see a car 20 years old unless it's an antique or classic car that is really kept up or restored. Cars just don't last 20 years here due to the salt.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:30 PM

45,400 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
NY has very strict emissions requirements for passing vehicle inspections like California. it's RARE to see a car 20 years old unless it's an antique or classic car that is really kept up or restored. Cars just don't last 20 years here due to the salt.
That was kind of my point using Pennsylvania, cars typically rot from salt before emissions are an issue.

Old 08-24-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
That was kind of my point using Pennsylvania, cars typically rot from salt before emissions are an issue.
Not true at all! There's a lot more to emissions than most people realize. On one of my cars, it was 4 years old when I started having an emissions problem. The problem was that I needed to have the gas tank cap replaced. That silly thing caused so many problems!

Old 08-24-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Not true at all! There's a lot more to emissions than most people realize. On one of my cars, it was 4 years old when I started having an emissions problem. The problem was that I needed to have the gas tank cap replaced. That silly thing caused so many problems!
Oh FFS. That's why I had the word "typically" in the sentence. Maybe I should have said "usually". You're the exception.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Oh FFS. That's why I had the word "typically" in the sentence. Maybe I should have said "usually". You're the exception.
Nice attitude. Actually, the gas cap issue is quite common. It will cause vehicles to fail inspection in NY. You can't have any check engine lights on or an codes in your car computer to pass inspection. It's a royal pain. it's the #2 reason for the Check Engine Light being on according to the last article below.

AGCO Automotive Repair Service - Baton Rouge, LA - Detailed Auto Topics - Gas Caps and Check Engine Lights, The Evap System

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...ailing-gas-cap

deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2<\/title><path d="M10,3.5l3-3,3,3Z" style="fill:%23fff;stroke:%23fff"/><path d="M0,3.5H10l3-3,3,3H26" style="fill:none;stroke:%231b3a4d"/><\/svg>')}.f_branding_on.blog-group-deadspin .editor-inner.post-content .pu

Old 08-24-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Nice attitude. Actually, the gas cap issue is quite common. It will cause vehicles to fail inspection in NY. You can't have any check engine lights on or an codes in your car computer to pass inspection. It's a royal pain. it's the #2 reason for the Check Engine Light being on according to the last article below.

AGCO Automotive Repair Service - Baton Rouge, LA - Detailed Auto Topics - Gas Caps and Check Engine Lights, The Evap System

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...ailing-gas-cap

deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2<\/title><path d="M10,3.5l3-3,3,3Z" style="fill:%23fff;stroke:%23fff"/><path d="M0,3.5H10l3-3,3,3H26" style="fill:none;stroke:%231b3a4d"/><\/svg>')}.f_branding_on.blog-group-deadspin .editor-inner.post-content .pu
It's the same here in Maryland. Which doesn't take away from the apparent fact that cars in areas that don't salt the roads, like California, typically and usually last longer, by decades in some instances, than those in areas that use salt.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:41 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
The Bay Area where I am has a very mild climate... no hard freeze and no one in my area has A/C

Cars last a very long time... my service van is 1985 and pickup 1991... no issues.

Emissions is what deals the knock out most of the time...

Old 08-25-2017, 04:26 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,771,072 times
I think living in an area where they're a lot hills and steep inclines puts added stress on the brakes, trans, suspension, and the engine itself which can overheat the fluids vs driving on flatland. I wonder which is worse, extreme heat or extreme cold?

To the people that drive on mostly flat streets, you got it made!!

Old 08-25-2017, 08:59 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
As we all know certain brands of cars and trucks have their pros and cons depending on their year and model, but no one has really addressed the issue regarding how well and long your vehicle is running based on geographic location, road conditions and climate.

For instance someone that lives in L.A. with its thousands of miles of horrible pot holes/cracked riddled streets, sitting in traffic, and air pollution will theoretically age a car faster and put much more wear and tear on the entire vehicle with similar miles, compared to someone that lives in some small town in Florida commuting the same amount of distance, but with perfectly paved roads, hardly any traffic, and barely any air pollution.

What do you all think?
We live in Oxnard. We drive to LA often. Not everyday as we don't work there. Still you get the idea.

Our 2003 Chevy Astro van has 170,000 and change on the odometer. I am betting we can hit 250,000 before the kids are grown. It has few problems and we have maintained it well. No rust or corrosion. It is a clean looking van. It does have aftermarket wheels and the tires are wider then original. I think it has a nice stance to it, and I like the look of the van.

In the LA metro area our weather is a lot better than in Florida. I hear that they get some nasty weather with stormy conditions. I have even heard that you should never buy a car out of Florida. Some years back our area had a bunch of used cars that came from Florida. What the public did not know was these cars had been flooded out in Florida due to a Hurricane or something. No one in Florida wanted them. The cars became rust buckets over time.

Also your example of some small town in Florida compared to the LA metro area does not sound like a good comparison. Maybe comparing LA cars to New York City Cars or some other large metro.

I would prefer a car from a place like LA over Florida or New York any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive