Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 07:39 PM

560 posts, read 581,895 times

Advertisements

Its happened twice already. You come back to your car after stopping for coffee, groceries etc. and the ignition is on and car is still running I think most us live busy lives and have a lot on our minds that something such as this can happen. Anybody had this experience? Any tips? Thank goodness that I was away for only a few minutes, not hours or overnight. I blame the keyless ignition and how much quieter cars have become.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 09:01 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,203,581 times
Yes, I have a friend who accidentally left a Prius running all night long twice. The car was thought to be off. The car is kept outside, fortunately.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:39 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,267,497 times
I can't comprehend how someone could do that. How do you not know your car is running? Could maybe understand on an electric but still obvious with all the lights if nothing else.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:15 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,594,864 times
This is not a keyless fail, it's a driver fail. People have even done this after parking in their garage and died from CO poisoning. I have a car with push button start and I have never forgotten to turn it off. Even if I did, it makes a loud beeping sound if I walk away. It's pretty hard to miss. I'm sure the feds will eventually mandate a cutoff feature if the fob leaves the immediate vicinity or the car senses it is unoccupied for more than a few minutes.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:09 AM

6,455 posts, read 9,822,257 times
I can't understand how that happens either. I have bells and lights that go off if I just open the door with the car running lol

Definitely driver error!

Old 09-19-2017, 04:38 AM

21,868 posts, read 25,173,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I can't comprehend how someone could do that. How do you not know your car is running? Could maybe understand on an electric but still obvious with all the lights if nothing else.
Oh, it's easy enough to do with the Prius. I've done it dozens upon dozens of times. Inevitably it's because I park and then am responding to an email on my phone before getting out of the car. Thing is you open the door and it sounds the idiot alarm so you get back in and turn the car off. The dash lights all stay on when you turn the car off for a few seconds anyway, by which time I'm normally out of the car anyway so I'm used to seeing them on. The only difference is a the "ready" light which is pretty easy to miss. Unless you're deaf I don't know how you can miss the chime though.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:50 AM

7,190 posts, read 9,329,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyCity View Post
Its happened twice already. You come back to your car after stopping for coffee, groceries etc. and the ignition is on and car is still running I think most us live busy lives and have a lot on our minds that something such as this can happen. Anybody had this experience? Any tips? Thank goodness that I was away for only a few minutes, not hours or overnight. I blame the keyless ignition and how much quieter cars have become.
It must depend on the car.

On my wife's 2014 Ford Escape with keyless ignition, if you leave the car running and exit the car with the fob in your pocket, after you close the door, the car honks at you.

Perhaps that's a feature which is programmable in your car.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:13 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
It must depend on the car.

On my wife's 2014 Ford Escape with keyless ignition, if you leave the car running and exit the car with the fob in your pocket, after you close the door, the car honks at you.

Perhaps that's a feature which is programmable in your car.
Same with my wife's (same car and year!) and also on my Challenger. Whether it's programming or a defect, I can't imagine that a keyless would be manufactured without a warning when exiting with the engine running.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:23 AM

44,370 posts, read 20,076,303 times
My keyless-ignition Subaru Legacy isn't electric nor a hybrid, but it runs very quietly. On two occasions I've stopped the car, opened the door to get out, and immediately heard a chime letting me know that the engine was still running.

I'm surprised every keyless-ignition car doesn't have some sort of signal to alert you that the engine is running when you open the door while it's in Park.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:30 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,547,409 times
I did this with my Prius almost a few time but the insane beeping it does when opening the doors generally reminds me what I forgot to do. Also, it goes even crazier if you try to press the door lock button on the FOB when outside the car with it still running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive