Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 09:49 AM

14,435 posts, read 14,370,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNCamry99 View Post
Thanks for your suggestions. I submitted Total loss dispute with at fault insurance company. Here are some items, I heard from them.

"I can't go buy a another car as nice as this one for $800 and you know it. I NEED enough money to go buy THIS car again. That is your contractual obligation with your client, and now with ME."

They still stick with cash value of the car instead of Replacement value.

I presented NADA value and comparable from internet. They say NADA is not acceptable and comparable need VIN#. I did not find VIN# for posted internet ad. They do not want to factor the profit of retail value.

Will I able to buy a car, excluding dealer's profit?

I submitted the invoice of my replacement engine installed on my car. They want to factor only engine excluding labor for review.

How will a engine get into the car, without paying the labor?

I am hearing lot of unrealistic stuff from this insurance company. I am puzzled.

Any idea, how to address these?

Thanks for sharing.
What would I do? First, get a quote from your own insurer. If that number is low too than sue them! Sue them in Small Claims Court. Make them get a lawyer. Make them spend money to defend the case. Make them realize that low balling you is going to cost them more money than paying fair market value for your car.

NADA and Kelly's Blue Book are reputable sources for computing the value of used cars. NADA was used by State Farm Insurance here as virtually their Bible for determining car values. I find it to the most consumer oriented valuation source.

If I were to present a case like this in Small Claims Court, I would try to get someone who has a background in buying and selling used cars. Have him come to court and testify that NADA and Kelly's Blue Book are both reputable sources used in the industry to value used cars. Than get him to state what values both sources assign to your automobile. That's a formidable case that an insurance company would have to spend money to defeat.

The problem I have is that I have given this advice before. I question whether anyone has really ever taken it. It usually becomes a situation where people who are not schooled in the law are not willing to make the effort to vindicate their rights. The insurance companies know this and that is why many of them get away with low balling total loss settlements in property damage claims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive