Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 05:24 PM

1,166 posts, read 877,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I've bought at least 22 new cars since 1963. I have enough sense to make enough money to afford them.
I've only had 2 car payments in my entire life, both paid in cash up front. I'm very frugal and don't see the need to buy a new car every couple of years just because I can afford one. As I said before, I see no reason to "reinvent the wheel" and start from scratch with a brand new car which might be more problematic than the one I already have.

I understand that the vast majority of people out there don't fix their own cars and don't see a car as much more than an appliance to get them from Point A to B, but I view my car as an extension of myself. I'm very sentimentally attached to them and couldn't bear to sell them or trade them off. Unless either of my vehicles gets totaled, I'll be driving them for MANY more years to come.

P.S. It's SO nice to not have a $500+ a month car payment, plus full coverage insurance looming over my head every month. I'm one of the few 22 year olds out there that are completely debt free, and everything I own is 100% mine. That, to me, feels much better than getting another vehicle every couple of years. Financial freedom!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 06:07 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
I've only had 2 car payments in my entire life, both paid in cash up front. I'm very frugal and don't see the need to buy a new car every couple of years just because I can afford one. As I said before, I see no reason to "reinvent the wheel" and start from scratch with a brand new car which might be more problematic than the one I already have.

I understand that the vast majority of people out there don't fix their own cars and don't see a car as much more than an appliance to get them from Point A to B, but I view my car as an extension of myself. I'm very sentimentally attached to them and couldn't bear to sell them or trade them off. Unless either of my vehicles gets totaled, I'll be driving them for MANY more years to come.

P.S. It's SO nice to not have a $500+ a month car payment, plus full coverage insurance looming over my head every month. I'm one of the few 22 year olds out there that are completely debt free, and everything I own is 100% mine. That, to me, feels much better than getting another vehicle every couple of years. Financial freedom!!!
I haven' had a car payment since 1970. Congradulations on your finiances, you are one of the few. Now, invest regularly and when you get 80 years old, as I am, you will be comfortable, as I am.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:12 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
I'm wondering what kicks off that feeling more than anything. Do they just wake up one day, look at their car and be like "You know, I'm sick of looking at that car, yesterday it was fine but today I'm tired of it". Just doesn't make much sense to me.
It's no different than anything else. People get tired of the color of their house and paint it, tired of how a room looks and put up different wall paper, tired of their yard and do some landscaping. It's no different for wanting a different car.

Most people want some variety in their life and don't want the same old same old year after year.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:28 PM

1,166 posts, read 877,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
It's no different than anything else. People get tired of the color of their house and paint it, tired of how a room looks and put up different wall paper, tired of their yard and do some landscaping. It's no different for wanting a different car.

Most people want some variety in their life and don't want the same old same old year after year.
I guess I'm the exception to that rule. I try to keep everything in my house the same as much as possible, I think it makes the passage of time less perceptible. The analogy I've used before is "The world outside is constantly changing, but at least I can come home to where things feel normal."

Old 09-18-2017, 08:37 PM

430 posts, read 335,564 times
Quote:
I guess I'm the exception to that rule. I try to keep everything in my house the same as much as possible, I think it makes the passage of time less perceptible. The analogy I've used before is "The world outside is constantly changing, but at least I can come home to where things feel normal."
And this is the answer to your question. Personality. Some people have the personality that demands change, others like yourself don't. Like I personally get bored with the same stuff daily, so that's my mindset. Other's find comfort in what's familiar, like yourself. Depends on the person.

I don't get the need to blow money just because of boredom though, but the need for change I do get

Old 09-18-2017, 09:22 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
I've heard lots of people in my life say "I'm tired of looking at my car, I'm thinking about getting another one" or "I'm bored with this car, I'm going to get another one". I can't understand this way of thinking at all. Personally, I find comfort in familiarity and can't stand getting new things and am not a big fan of when things change. I tend to hold onto something as long as I possibly can, and would much rather fix it than replace it. I also know both my vehicles like the back of my hand and see no reason to start from scratch with another car that has a whole host of unknown issues.

I know this feeling of "getting tired of looking at something" carries over to more things than cars, but I'm just trying to understand the mindset of someone who thinks/feels this way, because for the life of me I just can't understand it. Also always gave me a good laugh when people said "I'm having too many problems with my car, I'm going to get another one". I wanted to bust out laughing in their face, because if they think that another car will never have any problems, they are in for a rude awakening. They haven't engineered a car yet that doesn't break, fixing them is how I earn my living!
It's just a way to justify a new purchase that's all. Basically convincing yourself you need a new vehicle.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:22 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
How do you determine if a car is "too old"? When it starts to nickel and dime you? When it has "too many" miles on it? When the resale value goes down too low? How do you make that judgement call?

Personally when I buy a vehicle I don't look to resell it, I drive my vehicles until the wheels fall off so to speak, so when I get rid of it it's going to a junk yard, not being sold.
That's a determination each owner has to make. I have a Jeep Wrangler play toy that I have no intention of ever replacing. There is a huge aftermarket parts industry that will allow me to keep it going for the rest of my life. My Sonata and my Silverado will be replaced when they have about 150,000 miles on them. At least that's the plan right now. Changes in my life situation may require earlier replacement.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:46 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,574,375 times
If one gets "bored" with a particular car, they should get another.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:39 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
If one gets "bored" with a particular car, they should get another.
Exactly. It's a personal decision on when to replace a vehicle. Some people talk themselves in replacing a low mileage relatively new car and others wait to get their money out of it first. Eventually I replace my vehicles. 200,000 miles is usually my cutoff point on gas cars. After that to me reliability comes in it's about time to start replacing major components. I look for 3 year old cars just off lease. Thereciscususllyba hood discount vs a new model especially if there was a major redesign. We're looking to replace my wife's Infiniti. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but she wants something a bit smaller. It's almost at 180,000 miles on the odometer.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:35 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I don't get bored with my vehicles, or tired of looking at them. I have a 2015 Hyundai Sonata that just turned three years old. It still looks and drives great. I have no intention of selling it until it's either too old or it no longer meets my needs.
I had a 2012 Sonata, and after countless recalls and news about the defective engines I decided it was time to ditch it and buy something with a better track record. I did still like the way it looked though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive