Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 06:37 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,672,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
So they can be down half the day charging? Not necessarily.
They can fully charge in 30 minutes if plugged in correctly.

https://pod-point.com/landing-pages/...n-electric-car
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 06:48 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
They can fully charge in 30 minutes if plugged in correctly.

https://pod-point.com/landing-pages/...n-electric-car
That’s 30 minutes of not making money.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:50 PM

6,759 posts, read 5,058,954 times
I can see the attraction for a truly urban dweller, where parking is scarce and/or expensive. And someday, hopefully in the distant future, when I'm ready to turn in my keys it would be nice.

For now, though, I can't see why I would choose to live within the constraints of a car service, pay as much or more per mile, and have to wait every time to get picked up. My car is always waiting for me. I don't have to check an app to see how close it is nor guess how much in advance I should order it. It does not care how long I spend in a store, nor how many stops I make. It doesn't care if I load up the dogs, or a few pieces of lumber. I can take it far out of the city if I like and spend the night sleeping under the stars.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
That’s 30 minutes of not making money.
True. I guess it's like a lunch break for the car.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
I can see the attraction for a truly urban dweller, where parking is scarce and/or expensive. And someday, hopefully in the distant future, when I'm ready to turn in my keys it would be nice.

For now, though, I can't see why I would choose to live within the constraints of a car service, pay as much or more per mile, and have to wait every time to get picked up. My car is always waiting for me. I don't have to check an app to see how close it is nor guess how much in advance I should order it. It does not care how long I spend in a store, nor how many stops I make. It doesn't care if I load up the dogs, or a few pieces of lumber. I can take it far out of the city if I like and spend the night sleeping under the stars.
You're going to have some pretty good tales to tell your grandkids someday when they ask you what was it like driving your own car?

Old 10-17-2017, 07:01 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post

And most importantly your car is never driving around empty.
For environmental and traffic purposes, an empty car driving to pick someone up is adding to the problem. A car parked in your garage is one less car clogging up the roads and consuming fuel.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:39 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Quote:
You're going to have some pretty good tales to tell your grandkids someday when they ask you what was it like driving your own car?
I wouldn't count on that happening any time soon, although I don't have objections to the autonomous vehicle as a general concept. The problem, as I see it, is that a gullible, non- or anti-technical public is being led to believe that the transition will be far faster, and more "seamless" than is likely to be the case.

For openers, it still isn't clear whether the new vehicles will rely exclusively on on-board sensors, or be backed up by a database, or series of databases archiving local conditions, If the former scenario prevails, then the vehicle would likely be better-suited to localities with a uniform street pattern, and some provision would have to be made for overlying streets and highways that don't fit the equation.

On the other hand, an "open highway" oriented system has to take in factors unique to each section of road, such as degrees of curvature, and whether that factor changes in the middle of a turn (there's one near me, and on a numbered state highway, which has been fooling visitors, newcomers, and novices for as long as I've been around -- fortunately with few injuries due to the necessity for low speeds); grades, and whether a turn is banked, flat, or crowned can also "throw a curve of their own" -- and we've yet to discuss the possible effects of weather conditions.

And it's worth noting that the trucking industry, which would stand to reap huge productivity gains and put the railroads out of business for all but the least-desirable freight, has shown little interest, even though the closed environment of a terminal ought to be the ideal place to develop a simple algorithm for tasks like spotting trailers at dock doors, or in storage lots. Once those challenges were mastered, moving toward line-haul on the relative handful of toll roads allowing very large vehicles (what motor dispatchers sometimes refer to as "trains") ought to be a natural progression. But I tend to think that a security-obsessed public won't be eager to embrace this.

If the railroads, who have a far-smaller route network and far-better-defined means of traffic control (railcars can't arbitrarily jump to an adjacent track) have yet to develop an autonomous train (save for a handful of urban subways and mineral-hauling lines in remote locations), I fail to see how the "George Jetson" fantasies depicted in the "popular" press can be so quickly and easily adapted. Popular Science and "hard science" are still a long distance apart, and I fail to see how the twain can meet anytime soon.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-17-2017 at 08:45 PM..

Old 10-17-2017, 08:30 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Well, according to this industrial innovation analyst, it would be about $.35 a mile for self driving cars versus about $2.86 a mile for the current human drivers only cars. So, it's in the ballpark. Obviously there should be a huge savings simply based on self driving cars efficiency, not to mention the labor savings.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.marke...7-CF05589A95D8

Which brings up a good question. How do you calculate the "MPG" of an electric car? I assume most of these cars will be fully electric.
.35 a mile MIGHT cover costs......maybe. Probably not. .35 a mile is $35k over 100,000 miles. That doesn't even cover the price of the car. That doesn't cover maintenance, insurance, cost of electricity, labor, etc. Then you need to add profit.

I support electric. I got to ride in a self driving Tesla a few weeks ago. It was really cool. It could park itself better than I could. My car will park itself but the idea of simply snapping your fingers, having a car show up and it being cheap is fantasy.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:36 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,249,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
And it's worth noting that the trucking industry, which would stand to reap huge productivity gains and put the railroads out of business for all but the least-desirable freight, has shown little interest ...
Perhaps that's because few trucking companies could afford tens of billions of dollars of liability insurance.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:51 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Trucking companies aren't interested because we are still a long ways off in technology to make it work. Electric trains could be done far quicker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive