Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 07:47 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyab523 View Post
I went to purchase a car last week with 56,400 miles, when I received the bill of sale the miles were at 61,250.<>
You want that car, right? Negotiate for an add on warranty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 08:21 AM

405 posts, read 573,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2Z_Adventures View Post
Used cars can often rack up miles from the original photo shoot date. If the owner was driving it then it was probably a decent vehicle. They are probably into the car for close to what they are selling it to you for and are willing to drag it to the auction in hopes they can get out of it without losing their money.

You have seen it, you have thought about it, you obviously still like it. Either wait it out for another to come along or in my opinion, find your threshold for the difference in mileage then consider offering any or all of the following:

A) Try to get to your $2k discount, but realistically go at someplace between $1,100 and $1,500
B) Get them to throw in a warranty 3month/3k miles or something along these lines
C) Make and appointment at a local mechanic shop and pay them $40 to pick it apart. Most Midas or Firestones always want to upsell you something. Then get the dealer to fix it. This may come from a different pot of money and they may be willing to do that if you are willing to buy the car today.

Do this all in person at the dealership. Your presence means you are willing to buy it today, which makes a world of difference to someone on the phone.
Alright I will try again today to get close.

I haven't seen the car in person, I always buy site unseen as I get my cars from the south as they tend to be in better condition and not exposed to salt or seen rough winters.

Even though the vehicle was inspected and was certified by Land Rover 3 months ago I asked them to take it to Land Rover again for inspection before buying instead of a local mechanic as a I felt they would do a better job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
What Manhiem location is the auction?

It's going to a Texas Manheim I'm assuming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Your post is a little unclear. I'm reading it as, you saw the car in an online ad that stated it had 54K miles, but when you went to the dealership it had 61K because someone had been driving it since the ad was put up. Is that right?

If so, I don't see anything fishy here. All they're guilty of is not keeping the ad up to date. The discount being offered seems adequate for the mileage difference.

My bigger concern would be with the fact that the car has been in inventory long enough for the guy to put that many miles on it and that they're on the verge of taking it to the auction. This makes it seem like other people see something negative about this car that you're missing.

The ad stated it had 56,400 miles, when I went to purchase the bill of sale read 61,250 miles because the owner was using it.

I was trying to figure out why its been sitting and I believe I know why, they had the interior description noted as orange and unfortunately with the pictures they took it does look orange so I'm sure that sent everyone running away.

The good thing is I'm part of Land Rover forum and another member actually saw the car in person and said it was in immaculate condition and the only reason he didn't buy it is because it was slightly out of his budget.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:22 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
It's descent but it's going to the auction tomorrow and I doubt they can get more from another dealer as oppose to a private seller.
Then they don't.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Then they don't.
Then they don't what?

Old 10-17-2017, 09:13 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Then they don't what?
What I replied to. You said that you doubt they get as much at auction. I said, then they don't.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:12 PM

3,502 posts, read 2,664,329 times
Be careful buying a used car out of Texas. I believe we had about 500K flood cars here, many will find their way to actions and private sellers without any indication of flood damage.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:20 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
Be careful buying a used car out of Texas. I believe we had about 500K flood cars here, many will find their way to actions and private sellers without any indication of flood damage.
Excellent advice, TxFriend.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:26 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
So this has the interior color I want and is also hard to find (only one in the country).
Go buy it.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:34 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
I went to purchase a car last week with 56,400 miles, when I received the bill of sale the miles were at 61,250. I felt it was unprofessional and also changed the value of the car so I told them I am no longer interested. This weekend they apologized and informed me the car was never for sale on the lot as the owner of the dealership has been using it for the past few months, but it was posted online, they offered the owners number if I wanted to file a complaint and offered to sell it for $1,100 less. I told them a $2,000 discount with an inspection and detailing from the dealer and I would consider it. They agreed to do the inspection and detailing but for the $1,100 discount. I have 5 dealers looking for the color combo and options that I want for over a month and none of them can find it, I am now thinking I should just go ahead with the $1,100 off as they are just shy of trade in value but I wanted trade in cost. The KBB value doesn't take into account the additional 8k in options so in actuality it is a good deal and with the options taken into account they are at trade in. For black book value they are below average trade in and that's again not taking into account all the options. I am just turned off by the dealer, but I'm now thinking I shouldn't let them ruin it for me considering it was a CPO vehicle. What would you do?
I think the offer was reasonable, IMO...

Did you not see and drive the car beforehand? Did you not see the odometer?

Old 10-17-2017, 02:51 PM

I'm out of state so no I didn't see it. I buy all my cars from the south as they are better maintained and have not been exposed to salt and brutal winters. This has been in Dallas
Since before the flood so it's safe, plus I told them I wanted it inspected as a condition of purchase even though it was just inspected by the dealership 3 months ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive