Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Car A 9 18.75%
Car B 30 62.50%
Both 9 18.75%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 06:37 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Not true. That's a common misconception. If it's a place where the public has free access (like a store parking lot), then the rules of "private property" don't apply. There will be fault assigned.

I would say car B is more at fault. The only reason people stop in the middle of a parking lane like that is if they are going to park (waiting for someone to back out, whatever). Why didn't car B just honk for car A to park or keep going?
Who says? People stop all the time for all kinds of reasons, especially in a parking lot. More often than not they are just stopped waiting for a parking space to open up. Most people do not stop before pulling into a parking space. 99% just pull right in without stopping.

I can see here that most people in this thread consider turn signals to be optional. If car B has a dashcam, car A will absolutely, positively, no doubt about it, would be found at fault for that accident. Even if most people see nothing wrong with turning into a parking space without looking or signaling, it's still illegal.

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 10-17-2017 at 06:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 02:29 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,041,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I would say car A, except it sounds car B didn't even slow down to try to determine what car A wanted to do. Car B would not know if someone was crossing in front of car A. Car B might not have noticed car C backing out, which car A might have been waiting for. I can think of several reasons why car B might be at fault.

Car B is not a mind reader. If A were waiting for C's space to become clear, A should signal their intention to occupy said space whether on left or right, once it becomes available. I always do that when I see a space about to become available, but then, I'm just a snob who realizes that I am not the only driver in that lot, or on the road for that matter.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Who says? People stop all the time for all kinds of reasons, especially in a parking lot. More often than not they are just stopped waiting for a parking space to open up. Most people do not stop before pulling into a parking space. 99% just pull right in without stopping.

I can see here that most people in this thread consider turn signals to be optional. If car B has a dashcam, car A will absolutely, positively, no doubt about it, would be found at fault for that accident. Even if most people see nothing wrong with turning into a parking space without looking or signaling, it's still illegal.

People who think their intentions, in a lot or on the road, are nobody elses' business and that signaling is unnecessary, should reconsider whether that drivers license belongs in their wallet or purse.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:27 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
People who think their intentions, in a lot or on the road, are nobody elses' business and that signaling is unnecessary, should reconsider whether that drivers license belongs in their wallet or purse.
Which seems to be about 75% of the voters in this poll.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Which seems to be about 75% of the voters in this poll.
Thank you!!

If a vehicle - any kind - slows down and/or stops in front of me without employing left, right, or emergecy blinkers, I am going to question their intentions.

Last edited by TheGrandK-Man; 10-18-2017 at 07:00 AM..

Old 10-18-2017, 07:11 AM

957 posts, read 2,022,432 times
Quote:
Car B is not a mind reader. If A were waiting for C's space to become clear, A should signal their intention to occupy said space whether on left or right, once it becomes available. I always do that when I see a space about to become available, but then, I'm just a snob who realizes that I am not the only driver in that lot, or on the road for that matter.
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you!!

If a vehicle - any kind - slows down and/or stops in front of me without employing left, right, or emergecy blinkers, I am going to question their intention.
I half agree with everyone above. I always use my signals for every turn (including waiting or going into a parking space) and find it incredibly annoying that so many are too lazy to move their fingers a half an inch to do the same. Car A should have signaled.

The other half though is, if I was Car B and had no idea what Car A was doing (because A was too lazy and inconsiderate to signal), I certainly would not go zooming by on the side assuming he/she knew what I was doing, since I didn't clearly didn't know what they were doing. The most likely (but not only) things they would be doing would be getting read to pull left or right into a parking space. It is foolish to try to pass someone in that situation without a mutual understanding of intent and the outcome was not unlikely. I'm not saying that the complete "fault" lies with B, my guess is this will end up as shared fault, but B could have easily avoided this situation.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
I half agree with everyone above. I always use my signals for every turn (including waiting or going into a parking space) and find it incredibly annoying that so many are too lazy to move their fingers a half an inch to do the same. Car A should have signaled.

The other half though is, if I was Car B and had no idea what Car A was doing (because A was too lazy and inconsiderate to signal), I certainly would not go zooming by on the side assuming he/she knew what I was doing, since I didn't clearly didn't know what they were doing. The most likely (but not only) things they would be doing would be getting read to pull left or right into a parking space. It is foolish to try to pass someone in that situation without a mutual understanding of intent and the outcome was not unlikely. I'm not saying that the complete "fault" lies with B, my guess is this will end up as shared fault, but B could have easily avoided this situation.
Car B could have issue a light tap or two on the horn - not a long Queen Mary departing blast(!) That would have given A notice that he/she was blocking traffic, and A would have the opportunity to either turn signal or wave B around. Problem solved.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:18 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Not in the eyes of the insurance company. They most definitely will assign fault.

I believe Car A will be found more at fault for not yielding to a passing car.
My personal experience with this is that in parking lot accidents, the insurance company won't pay for damage to another car. Car owner B could sue but they have pretty low odds of collecting. It's a parking lot. They passed on the right when they should have waited for car A to park. Just because you're an impatient D-bag doesn't mean you shouldn't wait 10 seconds for car A to do what they're doing.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:23 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,060,155 times
There is insufficiednt information provided in the OP to make a call. Speed, time sitting, pedestrians, a whole host of other factors to consider in "fault."

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post

From what I've seen that's one of the least likely things. If they are going to pull in, most do pretty quickly. The cars I've seen that come to a stop are usually waiting (hoping?) for someone to come pull out in a close by spot rather than drive ahead 30 feet to the empty spot. Or they just pull into the lane and stop waiting for someone to come out of the store. I've often found myself having to pull around these people to park just a few spaces down (plenty of open spaces, not like it's a search), get out of the car and walk by them still sitting there.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:33 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,072,389 times
As an FYI, the applicability of common traffic laws on or near private property that regularly allows public access or thoroughfare varies by state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive