Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 01:40 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,601,833 times

Advertisements

I have a used 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan with the back seats removed that I use just like a pickup truck. I've hauled just about everything under the sun in it.

I've never lived in my van, though - I just camp in it now and then, but it's perfect for that. Of course, I'm a foot shorter than you, but there's at least a foot more room than I take up so I would think you'd be ok.

A full size mattress fits in the back of mine just fine at a little bit of a curve. You wouldn't need an actual mattress, though - just put in a couple of layers of foam. (Go to a hospital and ask the cleaners to save you the eggshell foam that some patients buy there then don't take home with them. A lot of this foam gets thrown away.)

I've always wished that I was handy enough to install pull down shades for the windows. I know they're out there, but I wouldn't know how to install them.

Just put your mattress in back and put your supplies in the passenger seat area. Get stackable plastic bins. A bin for your clothing and whatnot, a bin for a coleman stove and cooking equipment, a bin for one of those solar heated camping shower things that can be hung from a tree plus your soaps/shampoos and a towel and washcloth, and a bin for food. Add a cooler for perishables, and a bucket or camping toilet, and you'll have everything you need.

I would think it should be completely doable.

I think I paid $ 7000 for the Grand Caravan back in 2011. It still runs great with about 150,000 miles on it. I still use it, but am searching for a used AWD Sienna to use for the same purpose - they're a LOT more expensive than Grand Caravans, but I want awd this time around. Not necessary if you're going to stick to paved roads and not contend with much snow.

You just need to figure out how to find a used Grand Caravan with back seats removed so that you can try stretching out and see how you fit. But I think this really should be a fine and affordable vehicle for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 02:53 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
If you don't want it mainly for camping, why don't you just get the car/vehicle you want and throw a tent, flashlight, and blow up mattress in the back?

Old 10-20-2017, 03:36 PM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
You just need to figure out how to find a used Grand Caravan with back seats removed so that you can try stretching out and see how you fit. But I think this really should be a fine and affordable vehicle for you.
Get one with stow and go and you'll have seats when you need them, and still do what you do.

Old 10-20-2017, 03:59 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,500,346 times
I've crashed out in my Honda Element many nights camping. Lots of room...i'm 6-4 myself. Rear seats fold up. Perfect size for a twin air mattress. Honda reliability and decent gas mileage.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:12 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,032,956 times
Do a search for "Class B motorhomes" .

These are NOT big motorhomes.

They are vans, but with build in beds, generally a bathroom and small sink and microwave. Sometimes other things like the bed fold out into a table or couch.

They are the same size as a van; some have a higher top.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:41 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
Go onto YouTube and look up CheapRVliving channel. The guy's name is Bob Wells, and he interviews people living in all kinds of rigs from a Toyota Prius to a big Class A. They give him tours of their homes on wheels, both inside and out.

You can get a better idea of what sort of vehicle would work for you, how to plan it inside, how to manage showers and sanitation, cooking, sleeping, storage ideas, etc. There are people doing this on all sorts of budgets.

Bob also has a lot of tips on where to stay, how much it costs, free campsites, where to get water and propane, and lots of other ideas. Happy motoring!

Old 10-21-2017, 04:31 AM

18 posts, read 7,724 times
How to choose a local food service provider?

1. What kind of food do you want to eat?
2. How much do you need to reach your food?
3. Where do you need your food?
4- Do you need special foods, such as organic or vegetable choices?

Old 10-22-2017, 07:30 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,199,216 times
To blend in, I think a conversion van would be better. Looks like you are traveling somewhere and just stopped on the way to the lake. A panel van in a parking lot looks like someone who is up to no good who is either doing a burglary, or stalking someone. I know someone who had a panel van and used it for traveling and sleeping. Local sheriffs would follow him for miles and some pulled him over.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:29 PM

401 posts, read 331,417 times
This subject is thoroughly explored at the website and forum and YouTube channel by the same name Cheap RV Living.com-Home

Also, most of these vans are considered "Class B" so here's another website Class B Forums

There's a RoadTrek and other different van enthusiast groups on Facebook

Here's a group for vandwellers Carliving.info - Free information about living in cars, vans and campervans.

So that's a start if you really want to do this thing. Pick up some info from these sites and surf from there from the info gleamed. Good luck!

Old 02-07-2018, 04:38 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
If you want to "live" in a van, I would STRONGLY advise that you get something you can stand-up in and move
around a little.

I have a beater Ram Van with a dome.....not a class-b or an RV. I can do just about everything I need to do in my van, especially kick-back for hours, not having to go outside to stretch my legs, that is a biggie to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive