Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 05:12 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,391,897 times

Advertisements

I would appreciate any input. I am shopping for a new car (yes, new--I don't want used).
I am overwhelmed with all the information--even the comparison sites. I only buy a new car every 9-10 years.

I am looking at the Honda HR-V, the Subaru Impreza hatchback and the Subaru Crosstrek.

Spouse has had two Honda Civics. One lasted 13 years, 250,000. He is on the second one now. Good cars--a bit noisy inside while driving down the highway. Everyone that I know that has a Subaru, loves them. I currently have a VW Beetle--she has been fun, but I want a better car for the Winter.

I live in an area that gets weather--snow. So I want an AWD. Usually I am the only one in the car. I drive to and from work, each way 30 miles. Highway--normally no traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 05:30 AM

7,189 posts, read 9,327,431 times
Subaru has the best AWD system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-niPZTBouk

Since the Impreza and Crosstreck are the same car except the Crosstreck has more ground clearance, buy which ever one works for you.

Look here for Subaru specs: 2018 Impreza Subaru specs, options, prices, dimensions, measurements and more

Old 11-28-2017, 05:31 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,998,238 times
Subaru here tend to have expensive repairs when they get older or high miles on odometer.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
^ Very helpful--thanks!

Old 11-28-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Subaru here tend to have expensive repairs when they get older or high miles on odometer.
^ I have a Volkswagen now--same, very expensive for repairs. A couple of years ago I spent almost $3000. This year my vacuum pump and wheel drums along with the convertible top needs work now--over $2500. Decided to get a new car rather than put more money into my 2009, 140,000 VW.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:01 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
I prefer Subaru. They have an excellent AWD system (Ford now has the best, but Ford, Subaru and Volvo are all pretty close). Hondas are boring and stripped down bare bones to me - noise, rough ride, discount appliance transportation. If that is what you want, they excel at that. However personally I like cars with a little Pizzaz of some kind.

I much prefer the Subaru Imprenza

The difference in cars today is meaningless. They are all reliable, all pretty decent cars. There are almost no really junky cars. Some are more noisy, some are more comfortable. Some fit certain people better (my daughter loves the seats in her Volvo, I find them impossible to get in and out of and uncomfortable along the way). Some go fast, others cannot safely go much more than 70 (Corolla), some look nice, some look silly, some are ridiculously ugly, some are boring looking. Personally I like a car that is easy to find in a parking lot without having to click the remote to see which of the 42 grey Civics light up when I click.

Pick the one that makes you happy. You should smile when you look out in your driveway, not spend years wishing you had chosen the other option. IMO this is not the place to be practical.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:29 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,134,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Hondas are boring and stripped down bare bones to me - noise, rough ride, discount appliance transportation. If that is what you want, they excel at that. However personally I like cars with a little Pizzaz of some kind.
I can tell you you haven't driven the new civic, its one of the better driving cars I've owned, very comfortable to drive with excellent fit and finish. I've owned a Maxima, Mazda6, Mazda3, and an E350 among others. I haven't driven the HRV but I expect its essentially a raised up Civic.

I strongly suggest test driving an HRV.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:

I much prefer the Subaru Impreza
Why do you prefer the Impreza?

Thanks for all the good info.

Quote:
Pick the one that makes you happy. You should smile when you look out in your driveway, not spend years wishing you had chosen the other option. IMO this is not the place to be practical.
I agree.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:55 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,123,976 times
Just took delivery of the 2018 Outback Touring. Amazing car for the money. The Crosstrek has the same technology.
Bulletproof drive train and their AWD is without issues. Eyesight is remarkable----Google it.
Honda is reliable but about as exciting as a coffee maker. Noone talks about or gets compliments about their coffee maker!
Get a Subaru---it's like a club!

Check it out:

https://youtu.be/Qk4zIqOiOjc

Last edited by finalmove; 11-28-2017 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: Addition

Old 11-28-2017, 08:00 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-niPZTBouk

Since the Impreza and Crosstreck are the same car except the Crosstreck has more ground clearance, buy which ever one works for you.

Look here for Subaru specs: 2018 Impreza Subaru specs, options, prices, dimensions, measurements and more

I second this we have two Subaru's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive