Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 12:34 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,239,718 times

Advertisements

Ever hear the saying "You can have kids or nice things, but not both."

Minivans get torn apart. I know if I had an Infiniti or BMW minivan I would want to keep it immaculate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 12:55 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,550,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Ever hear the saying "You can have kids or nice things, but not both."

Minivans get torn apart. I know if I had an Infiniti or BMW minivan I would want to keep it immaculate.
In our area, my daughter's elementary school pick-up line is filled with Range Rovers, X5s, Cayennes, Q7/Q5s, LX/RXs, GLs, etc.

Old 12-13-2017, 02:03 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
I'm not talking just leather and sunroof, but a real minivan ,luxury, with a V8, sport tuned, the works.

Japan seems to be the place for it, offering an almost convertible minivan, or offerings that look like they were designed by Infiniti,lexus. Hi class, vip styled, reclining heated massage seats, minibar, etc.

The US offers this, but in the full-size vans, or some corny fiberglass shelled, monstrosity. Why never a basic skinned minivan, done right? A Cadillac or Lincoln minivan? Is there not a need?
Don't need a V8 anymore. Go test drive a Sienna XLE Limited AWD and get back to us of what you think. Everything else you're listing is 3rd party modifications.

Old 12-13-2017, 04:37 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Luxury and a herd of young children eating Goldfish, drinking Capri Sun don't go together. Luxury and kids with their soccer/football/lacrosse gear don't go together. Most people who drive minivans also aren't looking to spend $50-60K or more on a vehicle. Everyone I know with a minivan pretty much trashes it because of the kids. They're rough on vehicles. Lots of abuse. Then there's the eating and drinking messes.

Old 12-13-2017, 04:47 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Luxury and a herd of young children eating Goldfish, drinking Capri Sun don't go together. Luxury and kids with their soccer/football/lacrosse gear don't go together. Most people who drive minivans also aren't looking to spend $50-60K or more on a vehicle. Everyone I know with a minivan pretty much trashes it because of the kids. They're rough on vehicles. Lots of abuse. Then there's the eating and drinking messes.
As kids we were never allowed to eat or drink in my parents car. Don't let anyone eat or drink in ours either.

Old 12-13-2017, 04:52 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
As kids we were never allowed to eat or drink in my parents car. Don't let anyone eat or drink in ours either.
That's your family. That's not most folks. Most people do allow food and drink in their vehicle.

I don't. I literally only allow bottled water in my vehicle and only for adults. There's absolutely no eating in my vehicle. Then again, we don't have kids. We wouldn't let kids eat or drink in our SUV either though.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:39 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
The majority of car buyers, have outgrown the mini-van. They are now into crossovers, SUVs, and pickups, nearly all 4x4 or AWD. More room and more utility than a mini-van. And they can be driven safely in all kinds of weather.

Model A Fords like my first car when I turned 16, and Fancy fully decked out Mini-Vans are yesterdays new, not something in our future.

In auto/truck production, the first 3 vehicles of are the #1--Ford F-150 pickup. #2--Chevrolet Silverado Pickup. #3--Dodge Ram Pickup. The F-150 sells more than twice as many vehicles which is a small sedan at #4. And that is just one model of each pickup, with several more by those three auto companies. The Ford Explorer SUV, has been the biggest seller SUV for over 25 years.

No one is going to build a luxury Mini Van, as they will not be able to sell enough of them to make a profit, and companies get rid of products that will lose them money.

As another article in Automotive says, Pick Ups are now the choice of luxury vehicles sold in this country, of the #1 income group today.

I went down to the post office today, and there were a dozen vehicles in the parking lot, with 2 being large SUV vehicles and all the rest pickups. I then went to our local grocery store which is one of the largest and has been voted best in the world by the company. Out of dozens of vehicles in the parking lot, I noticed only 4 were not either Pickups (nearly all 4 door models) and SUVs.

Fancy Mini Vans are old school, not the vehicles of the future which are Pickups and SUVs. No one wants them.

Old 12-14-2017, 06:11 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,818,588 times
No one wants them? They sell hundreds of thousands of them every year.

Old 12-14-2017, 06:50 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Ford and GM got out of the mini van market leaving it all to Chrysler and now even Chrysler is scaling back models of the minivan. SUV’s and pickups are were automakers make their bread and butter. Ford,GM, Chrysler are getting rid of cars to concentrate on more SUV and pickup production.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:27 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The majority of car buyers, have outgrown the mini-van. They are now into crossovers, SUVs, and pickups, nearly all 4x4 or AWD. More room and more utility than a mini-van. And they can be driven safely in all kinds of weather.

With all the renaming of what type of vehicle a vehicle is, except for pickups, they are all starting to meld together and look alike from the outside. From the outside minivans have shrunk, SUVs have shrunk and crossovers have shrunk. From the inside the minivan still has the most room. Fold down the 2nd and 3rd rows and it's pretty easy to see. My Sienna (XLE, LTD, AWD) has much more room than my Lexus RX or my Lexus GX. When it comes to utility it beats them also. The majority of car buyers in the US are being pushed towards vehicles that cost the least to produce, but have excessive cost to purchase. I also own a Isuzu outside of the US. I would never purchase it's sister vehicle (under another badge) manufactured for use/sale in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive