Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 09:33 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,575,366 times

Advertisements

Ya know... where you take off the brake booster line, and inject water, usually on a hot or warm engine (the cooling system keeps it around the same temperature anyways whether it's idling or just did hours on the highway.) ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 09:37 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,998,195 times
I've never heard of this. What would doing this accomplish?

Old 12-14-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I've never heard of this. What would doing this accomplish?
It is to steam clean out carbon from plenum and valves.

Same exact thing as "Seafoaming" except that water, turning to steam.. works better than Seafoam.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:57 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,593,446 times
Sounds like a good way to screw up an engine and void a warranty. I would never do it and I also stay away from snake oil like Seafoam and Marvel Mystery Oil. I use top tier gas and synthetic lubricants and have never had an engine problem.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:03 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,829,130 times
Back in the day I saw it done through the PCV hose or sprayed down the carb. In today's fuel-injected vehicles, you really only have air in the manifold plenum as the injectors are close to the intake valves. So there's not much chance of varnish to build up.

Now, I just run Seafoam through with the fuel in the tank.

As to water working better than Seafoam, I don't think so.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
Back in the day I saw it done through the PCV hose or sprayed down the carb. In today's fuel-injected vehicles, you really only have air in the manifold plenum as the injectors are close to the intake valves. So there's not much chance of varnish to build up.

Now, I just run Seafoam through with the fuel in the tank.

As to water working better than Seafoam, I don't think so.
I know it can also be done directly through the intake..

As to "why water," there are forums that suggest it turns to steam, and actually really does clean better than primarily SeaFoam (I've seen it done with MMO as well.)

Mostly, just before an Emissions inspection, or when the vehicle begins to hesitate...

Old 12-14-2017, 11:12 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFtp_jmLF3k

Old 12-14-2017, 01:15 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,981,966 times
It is a remnant of the water/alcohol injection used in radial engine aircraft, often called ADI fluid (Anti Detonation Injection).
I used to mix the stuff when I was in the Navy. In a tank on wheels (a "bowser") we would put 55 gallons of denatured alcohol, 55 gallons of distilled water, and 2 gallons of water-soluble cutting oil (to lubricate the pump).
Then, after thoroughly mixing it, we pumped it into a tank behind the engines of a P2V-7 Neptune. It was used primarily on take-off to help keep cylinder head temperatures down on those R-3350-32WA engines, and help prevent detonation at high power settings.
It worked.
Years ago, we used to trickle water into the intakes of old Chevys and Fords. It seemed to help some.

Old 12-14-2017, 03:19 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,057,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
It is a remnant of the water/alcohol injection used in radial engine aircraft, often called ADI fluid (Anti Detonation Injection).
I used to mix the stuff when I was in the Navy. In a tank on wheels (a "bowser") we would put 55 gallons of denatured alcohol, 55 gallons of distilled water, and 2 gallons of water-soluble cutting oil (to lubricate the pump).
Then, after thoroughly mixing it, we pumped it into a tank behind the engines of a P2V-7 Neptune. It was used primarily on take-off to help keep cylinder head temperatures down on those R-3350-32WA engines, and help prevent detonation at high power settings.
It worked.
Years ago, we used to trickle water into the intakes of old Chevy's and Fords. It seemed to help some.
Yes, this "trick" used to be a good addition to engines that had to pull hard to move a heavy load by making the intake air "damp" to better burn the leaded gas used back them. Use of water injection with today's electronic injection systems no lead gas is not a good idea at all.

Old 12-14-2017, 05:10 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times
This isn't 1950 anymore, cars are way more sophisticated and complicated. That little trick might have worked on Grandpa's flathead Ford, but today's sensors, catalytic convertors, computers, and injectors would not take kindly to drowning the engine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive