Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these two is a better option?
BMW X3 12 60.00%
Mercedes Benz GLC 8 40.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 05:38 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,233,403 times

Advertisements

Audi Allroad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 05:57 PM

741 posts, read 1,751,723 times
I was told that all MB GLC are prewired for navigation,where Garmin navigation SDcard, can be fixed for about $600 effortlessly. In addition, With respect to navigation they provide the smartphone integration [for both apple and android].

However, it looks like that is not the case with BMW X3. We need to get the navigation system additionally for $1700. Is this true? Apple Car play is there for $300 but they cannot be used with Android smartphone.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:39 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
If you can wait a three months or so it the completely redesigned 2019 Acura RDX looks to be a solid contender to the European Marques for this class.

New chassis (not based on the CRV), brought back the turbo with 40% more low end power than the outgoing six, next generation SH AWD, nice, modern looking exterior, good sized interior and great cargo capacity. All with Honda (Acura) reliability.

https://youtu.be/LS3ra6ZMJcI

Old 01-16-2018, 06:49 PM

604 posts, read 653,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
If you can wait a three months or so it the completely redesigned 2019 Acura RDX looks to be a solid contender to the European Marques for this class.

New chassis (not based on the CRV), brought back the turbo with 40% more low end power than the outgoing six, next generation SH AWD, nice, modern looking exterior, good sized interior and great cargo capacity. All with Honda (Acura) reliability.

https://youtu.be/LS3ra6ZMJcI

Acura is not in same class as BMW/MB/Audi

Old 01-16-2018, 07:14 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28079 View Post

Acura is not in same class as BMW/MB/Audi
So the Europeans would like to have you believe. Compare quality, chassis rigidity and strength, safety, power and smoothness, ride and handling, comfort and convenience, tech and perhaps most importantly, reliability instead of the hood ornament or badging on the back.

I’m not saying I know that the Acura is better or worse, but come on, you think that MB, BMW and Audi don’t make or have not made mediocre or troublesome products? They are all equally modern and absolutely comparable vehicles, none perfect but it is almost a given the Acura will give you everything the others do with greater reliability and less service costs.

Being a badge snob can cost you. I think it’s best to look at all the viable options.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:15 PM

Is the dynamic select, a standard feature in GLC? https://www.arrowheadmb.com/blog/201...lect-features/
Looks like this is a cool feature to switch from the comfort mode to sport mode while driving.
Are these dynamic-select features available in BMW X3 as a standard feature?

Old 01-16-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Actually they do address it with the N20 2 liter 4 cyl, and there's a recall for fixing it. But the simple fix is to not get the base 4 cyl engine and instead get the 6.

BTW, it's the timing chain guides that fail, not the chain itself, and the failures occur right around 100k miles. Sadly this is a long standing issue, even my 4.4 liter V8 has weak plastic timing chain guides. But it's not an issue in the inline 6s (or V12s, interestingly enough).
2018 BMW X3 has 4 cyl... Most probably I am going to keep the vehicle for at least 100K miles... How big is this issue of weak plastic timing chain guides... in terms of fix around 100K miles.. Are there any other such known issues in the MB GLC or X3...

Should this issue alone be the rationale to choose MB GLC as against X3

Old 01-16-2018, 07:54 PM

604 posts, read 653,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
So the Europeans would like to have you believe. Compare quality, chassis rigidity and strength, safety, power and smoothness, ride and handling, comfort and convenience, tech and perhaps most importantly, reliability instead of the hood ornament or badging on the back.

I’m not saying I know that the Acura is better or worse, but come on, you think that MB, BMW and Audi don’t make or have not made mediocre or troublesome products? They are all equally modern and absolutely comparable vehicles, none perfect but it is almost a given the Acura will give you everything the others do with greater reliability and less service costs.

Being a badge snob can cost you. I think it’s best to look at all the viable options.
I had an MDX and no, it was a step below Q7/GLE/X5 no question about it and way behind Cayenne.

So don't expect the RDX to surpass the equivalent German cars, since technology/marketing wise they are built to address different drivers needs when talking about handling.

And the reliability thing is another thing that too many talk about based on hearsay, my experience has been about same or worst with Japanese cars vs. German.

I have had all kinds of vehicles and found German cars to be built with much better handling due to their no speed limit on Autobahn.
There is probably no RDX/MDX in Germany so Acura is not building its cars for handling, it is more for comfort (aka boat like motion).

Old 01-16-2018, 08:41 PM

8,151 posts, read 3,676,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spalam01 View Post
2018 BMW X3 has 4 cyl... Most probably I am going to keep the vehicle for at least 100K miles... How big is this issue of weak plastic timing chain guides... in terms of fix around 100K miles.. Are there any other such known issues in the MB GLC or X3...

Should this issue alone be the rationale to choose MB GLC as against X3
Well, if you want 6 cyl , there is the M40i.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive