Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 06:49 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,905,582 times

Advertisements

I don't really understand this business of driverless cars or cars without steering wheels. Apparently these are in development now but can this occur without some sort of web of "smart" streets? I don't hear anybody talking about that.

I would be nice if fatal accidents were eliminated or decreased in number, but it sounds really frightening to put oneself in a high speed vehicle and trust your life to the technology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 06:54 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,415,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I would be nice if fatal accidents were eliminated or decreased in number, but it sounds really frightening to put oneself in a high speed vehicle and trust your life to the technology.
Guess you've never really thought about flying then, eh? Get on a commercial airliner and you're traveling WAY faster and being controlled by computers.

You'll get used to the idea, just like you got used to hauling around a smartphone and being connected every second of every day. Plenty of time for you to get used to the idea, it won't happen for quite awhile.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:59 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,501,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Guess you've never really thought about flying then, eh? Get on a commercial airliner and you're traveling WAY faster and being controlled by computers.

You'll get used to the idea, just like you got used to hauling around a smartphone and being connected every second of every day. Plenty of time for you to get used to the idea, it won't happen for quite awhile.
Yeah, but there are fewer planes in the air than cars on the road. All pilots are trained and there is an air traffic control system that makes sure all the planes are properly directed. Apple to oranges.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:02 AM

20,100 posts, read 9,008,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Yeah, but there are fewer planes in the air than cars on the road. All pilots are trained and there is an air traffic control system that makes sure all the planes are properly directed. Apple to oranges.
lol, apples to oranges?

Old 01-14-2018, 07:12 AM

24,396 posts, read 23,053,611 times
Just watch the clip of " Total Recall" with the Jonny Cab. Or the movie " Christine".

Old 01-14-2018, 08:16 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,425,125 times
Us on the retirement forum don't need to worry about driverless cars thank goodness.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:23 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,625,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Not to mention, driving an automobile in traffic is in many ways orders of magnitude more complicated than flying an airplane - or even landing one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
And part of the reason tickets cost hundreds of dollars is that it's extremely expensive to get the technology right. How expensive is this technology going to be on the average vehicle? How much additional cost can you tack onto a vehicle before people decide they just can't afford it, especially when so many people adamantly do NOT want it in the first place?

What will be the maintenance costs of these systems? Will they need to be inspected and certified on an annual basis, like emission controls are now? And again, at what cost?

What effect will it have on the life of the average vehicle? Will car owners with wonky autodrive systems have to junk an otherwise perfectly good vehicle years earlier than they otherwise would have because they're too expensive to maintain? And if someone answers "no" to that, what are you basing that answer on? If this technology ever is refined to the point where it is marketable and is widely implemented, it's going to be some of the most demanding and complicated software ever written. On what basis could someone argue that it wouldn't be extremely expensive to implement and maintain?

Last edited by Mr. In-Between; 01-14-2018 at 09:52 AM..

Old 01-14-2018, 12:52 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,586,929 times
About a year ago we had a Google street mapping car come into our gas station and we got to talking to the guys, the car was outfitted with all kinds of equipment on the front bumper and roof, I assumed they were mapping for Google maps/ street view, but it turns out it was for the upcoming switch to self drive cars, they said Google had 1000s of these mapping cars out there, hitting every city and state.

They way they explained it, it was going to be like google maps, GPS, etc, but MUCH more detailed and accurate, they claimed this new mapping technology was incredible, it was mapping grade, condition of the road, even potholes and cracks.

Personally I think its going to be a good thing, no more full coverage insurance, no more traffic lights, no more traffic offenses and fines, DUIs, etc etc.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:59 PM

25,560 posts, read 17,271,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I don't really understand this business of driverless cars or cars without steering wheels. Apparently these are in development now but can this occur without some sort of web of "smart" streets? I don't hear anybody talking about that.

I don't think "driverless" will happen to any great degree. There are some notable shortcomings and so far, driverless cars actually have someone in them.
There will likely believe an "automatic" mode in a lot of cars, but it's just an assist.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:10 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,905,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
About a year ago we had a Google street mapping car come into our gas station and we got to talking to the guys, the car was outfitted with all kinds of equipment on the front bumper and roof, I assumed they were mapping for Google maps/ street view, but it turns out it was for the upcoming switch to self drive cars, they said Google had 1000s of these mapping cars out there, hitting every city and state.

They way they explained it, it was going to be like google maps, GPS, etc, but MUCH more detailed and accurate, they claimed this new mapping technology was incredible, it was mapping grade, condition of the road, even potholes and cracks.

Personally I think its going to be a good thing, no more full coverage insurance, no more traffic lights, no more traffic offenses and fines, DUIs, etc etc.
Yeah, I was thinking it would be like a Google maps thing.

The old children's show, Captain Kangaroo, featured a microwave oven one segment; I'm thinking it took about 10 years for them to be generally available. Similarly, I took a programming class at a community college around 20 years ago and the teacher was talking about a technology that predated cell phones, and now everyone has one. In both instances the things mentioned seemed magical and unlikely though now they're commonplace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive