Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 04:22 PM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Why are tractor trailers built so underpowered?
Interesting replies in this thread, and a lot of well informed people.

Keep in mind what trucks DO, is put out maximum horsepower for as long as you like. Even in the hottest weather I have never had one even start to overheat. That big fan up front starts with a mighty wooooosh! and pulls enough air through to inflate the Super Dome.
I have always been impressed by what that straight six will do. My Detroit DD15 would pull decently all the way down to 900 RPM.

If you treated your car, pickup, or even gasoline powered boat like that it would fail very rapidly.

BTW: If anyone things trucks are too slow going up hill, they should hop aboard and see what happens when they go DOWN hill!

Last edited by Listener2307; 04-25-2018 at 04:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 05:23 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
He was questioning the original poster.
My bad looking at my iPhone in a dimly light bar, and he was right the original poster knows squat about big rigs.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:25 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
Quote:
Even in the hottest weather I have never had one even start to overheat.
You need to get out more. The climb from Santa Rosa N Mexico on IH40 will have a lot of them sitting on the side of the road cooling down. The same for the climb in Arizona going to Flagstaff. It's not just the coolant that gets hot. The transmission temps soar as does motor oil. You'll find a lot of pickups that are pulling trailers on the side of the road cooling down. That's about a 40 mile climb, FWIW. Been there, done that, too many times.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
You need to get out more. The climb from Santa Rosa N Mexico on IH40 will have a lot of them sitting on the side of the road cooling down. The same for the climb in Arizona going to Flagstaff. It's not just the coolant that gets hot. The transmission temps soar as does motor oil. You'll find a lot of pickups that are pulling trailers on the side of the road cooling down. That's about a 40 mile climb, FWIW. Been there, done that, too many times.
The hotter a Diesel gets the better they run, my brother never shut his truck off in the winter in Detroit in the 80’s.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:16 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,075,840 times
The problem with the big rigs today, is that many of them have 'governers'/'speed limiters' installed. In the past, trucks would build up speed/momentum in order to climb the hills but nowadays they are unable to do so. They may be able to build up some speed going down a hill, but when they put their foot into it to try to get up the next one the limiter says "No can do" and nothing happens- fuel flow is curtailed until the speed drops below the limiter's set rate...and then it's too late, momentum is lost and the driver has to start down-shifting to reach a gear where he can make headway against the grade.

Blame the 'nanny state', not the motor.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:21 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
Well, of course trailers are underpowered. They don't even have engines!

Old 04-25-2018, 07:23 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,734,707 times
Tractors are tuned down to save fuel and extended the life of an engine. That results in less power across the board. I keep my CAT 3126's tuned to 80% of their full power. It's a problem on very steep grades. You get in the right lane turn the flashers on and keep going.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:34 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If they cannot maintain speed limit on a grade, to me, that means they are underpowered.
Did you eat paint chips when you were a kid?

Old 04-25-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
The problem with the big rigs today, is that many of them have 'governers'/'speed limiters' installed. In the past, trucks would build up speed/momentum in order to climb the hills but nowadays they are unable to do so. They may be able to build up some speed going down a hill, but when they put their foot into it to try to get up the next one the limiter says "No can do" and nothing happens- fuel flow is curtailed until the speed drops below the limiter's set rate...and then it's too late, momentum is lost and the driver has to start down-shifting to reach a gear where he can make headway against the grade.

Blame the 'nanny state', not the motor.
Independent truckers don’t have goveners if any they are fleet trucks.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:16 PM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
No I don't.

I put 750,000 miles on 18 wheelers, and of course some of it was I-40 through New Mexico. Never had one overheat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive