Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2018, 09:27 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times

Advertisements

People pay 4 times plus cost of car or house bek they pay on time
The banks love this sort of thinking

Old 05-12-2018, 09:36 AM

26,192 posts, read 21,595,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Ok, but a $30k house that rents for so much per month is impossible to find for those living in HCOL areas, and moving to an area like yours might equate to a lot of lost career potential, especially for Millennials with advanced degrees in STEM fields such as myself. I don’t get why it is so hard for some people to understand that buying a house is not always a good idea for everyone.
Well not to mention buying something for 30k that’s worth 60k isn’t normal.

Old 05-12-2018, 11:11 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,952,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
My stance hasn’t shifted at all. I’ve said I think the financial benefits are oversold and they are. That doesn’t mean I’m against buying or that I believe there are no benefits to buying. I believe the benefits are oversold and you won’t convince me otherwise.

1. Interest and property taxes being tax deductible are over selling and it’s done everyday on this board, parents advising children, real estate agents to buyers, by your coworkers etc.

2. People typically buy more than they rent

3. The transaction cost of buying/selling rarely come up in conversation when discussing buying or not

4. Selling within 5 years typcially puts you in bad shape or usually at a large disadvantage

If you understand all those and decide to buy more power to you, I’m not against it but trying to convince me the above doesn’t happen isn’t going to work.
1) is irrelevant. Not everybody gets a tax break, but nobody gets a tax advantage from renting either.
2) another discussion completely. The only way to play the rent vs buy comparison is to keep all other factors equal.
3 and 4) it is expensive selling your house within 5 years as closing cost eats into your equity, but renting leaves you with no equity to eat into.

Old 05-12-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Ok, but a $30k house that rents for so much per month is impossible to find for those living in HCOL areas, and moving to an area like yours might equate to a lot of lost career potential, especially for Millennials with advanced degrees in STEM fields such as myself. I don’t get why it is so hard for some people to understand that buying a house is not always a good idea for everyone.
High cost of living areas typically enjoy high home appreciation. This is even more reason to buy instead of rent. High incomes plus home ownership qualifies you for the tax breaks as well. If you move to a HCOL to advance your career, so is everybody else, meaning the renter is still at a disadvantage. Why would home owner’s in high demand, high paying locations with skyrocketing home values rent their home to some renters cheaper than they’re paying for them?

Old 05-12-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
1) is irrelevant. Not everybody gets a tax break, but nobody gets a tax advantage from renting either.
It may be irrelevant to you but it’s entirely relevant to my point of the financial benefits being oversold in part exactly for the reason you’ve stated that not everyone gets the tax break.. Renters getting no tax breaks is irrelevant to the discussion of financial benefits of buying being oversold.

Quote:
2) another discussion completely. The only way to play the rent vs buy comparison is to keep all other factors equal.
Wrong it’s not another discussion it’s actually the correct discussion. Playing to comparison game on equal properties is truly a false comparison because people in general don’t spend that way. They rent less than they would buy and that’s the appropriate comparison because that’s what people actually do

Quote:
3 and 4) it is expensive selling your house within 5 years as closing cost eats into your equity, but renting leaves you with no equity to eat into.
Am I ever going to face potential losses exceeding what’s outlined in my lease/rental agreement when I lease/rent? How about when I buy? Equity isn’t a guaranteed

Old 05-12-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
It may be irrelevant to you but it’s entirely relevant to my point of the financial benefits being oversold in part exactly for the reason you’ve stated that not everyone gets the tax break.. Renters getting no tax breaks is irrelevant to the discussion of financial benefits of buying being oversold.

Wrong it’s not another discussion it’s actually the correct discussion. Playing to comparison game on equal properties is truly a false comparison because people in general don’t spend that way. They rent less than they would buy and that’s the appropriate comparison because that’s what people actually do

Am I ever going to face potential losses exceeding what’s outlined in my lease/rental agreement when I lease/rent? How about when I buy? Equity isn’t a guaranteed
Its not oversold. Perhaps the tax break is oversold, but what is undersold is the hedge against inflation. This very thread is proof that not everybody is getting a grasp on the whole inflation thing.

Also apparent is not everybody is understanding that you aren't saving any cost above what the owner is paying. Unless you live in a declining market where homeowners all ended up upside down on their house and are renting it for a loss (which these days is the exceptions rather than the norm), rent will be higher than a mortgage.

I've lived both scenarios. I'm living in a high cost of living area with rapidly rising home values, and tight inventory and renters are getting hosed.
I used to own a low income apartment building in a low cost of living area with stagnated home values, and the low rent I was charging was far more than my mortgage because I got the apartment for pretty much nothing.

The only time I can think of that it was better to rent vs buy was just before the housing meltdown and we now know even that was short lived.

Old 05-12-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Its not oversold. Perhaps the tax break is oversold, but what is undersold is the hedge against inflation. This very thread is proof that not everybody is getting a grasp on the whole inflation thing.
The financial benefits are oversold and that includes property taxes and mortgage interest being a federal tax deduction. I can agree with you on the inflation point but that doesn’t change my overall stance

Quote:
Also apparent is not everybody is understanding that you aren't saving any cost above what the owner is paying. Unless you live in a declining market where homeowners all ended up upside down on their house and are renting it for a loss (which these days is the exceptions rather than the norm), rent will be higher than a mortgage.
This is just false. An owner’s cost doesn’t dictate the rental market. If you over paid for a house or bought your house 60 years ago that’s irrelevant to the rental market

Quote:

I've lived both scenarios. I'm living in a high cost of living area with rapidly rising home values, and tight inventory and renters are getting hosed.
I used to own a low income apartment building in a low cost of living area with stagnated home values, and the low rent I was charging was far more than my mortgage because I got the apartment for pretty much nothing.

The only time I can think of that it was better to rent vs buy was just before the housing meltdown and we now know even that was short lived.
You can pay a higher rent even on equal properties and come out ahead vs buying. It depends on the length of time you are there and how the houses market does during that time

Old 05-12-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
The financial benefits are oversold and that includes property taxes and mortgage interest being a federal tax deduction. I can agree with you on the inflation point but that doesn’t change my overall stance

This is just false. An owner’s cost doesn’t dictate the rental market. If you over paid for a house or bought your house 60 years ago that’s irrelevant to the rental market

You can pay a higher rent even on equal properties and come out ahead vs buying. It depends on the length of time you are there and how the houses market does during that time
We've pretty much beaten the tax vs inflation thing to death.

Owners cost does affect the rental market. If I'm paying $1000 a month for a property, I'm not renting it for $1000 or less unless I'm in trouble as there is no incentive to rent it. However if I paid off my house 30 years ago my mortgage is $0 and I will rent it for market rent which is in todays dollars and collect the entire rent as profit. I'm not passing that savings onto the renter.

Old 05-12-2018, 01:21 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times
Quote:
High cost of living areas typically enjoy high home appreciation. This is even more reason to buy instead of rent. High incomes plus home ownership qualifies you for the tax breaks as well. If you move to a HCOL to advance your career, so is everybody else, meaning the renter is still at a disadvantage. Why would home owner’s in high demand, high paying locations with skyrocketing home values rent their home to some renters cheaper than they’re paying for them?
Rent can only be raised to what the market will bear, regardless of the landlord’s outgoing cash flows. If the landlord tries to raise it too much, no one will move in, resulting in no rent. Landlords will happily take some money over no money. And what you are saying about high income appreciation assumes that incomes will continue to go up faster than inflation. If you had used this reasoning in Detroit a few decades ago, you would be in for a rude awakening. If I take a highly paid job now it doesn’t mean I expect the same job to pay twice as much in 15 years in the same city.

Old 05-12-2018, 01:32 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,058,401 times
Enough hijacking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive