Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 09:35 PM

28 posts, read 36,901 times

Advertisements

Sometimes I see in used car ads in Craiglist that it has Kenwood radio. Is Kenwood good sounding radio?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 09:42 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,188,788 times
Head units are all pretty much the same.

Speakers are what make the sound.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:43 PM

28 posts, read 36,901 times
How much would it be to replace the speakers to more high quality sound?

Old 02-19-2019, 11:15 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Crutchfield is an excellent source of such info. Plug in the vehicle and it will tell you what fits and give reviews. Can then sometimes find a better deal on the actual hardware on amazon and such.
https://www.crutchfield.com

Like any other manufacturer of most anything, Kenwood makes some good stuff and some not so good stuff. Would have to check the individual model.

Old 02-20-2019, 12:11 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchwagon View Post
Sometimes I see in used car ads in Craiglist that it has Kenwood radio. Is Kenwood good sounding radio?
Had one installed in 2011, a double-DIN GPS and stereo unit, along with four Focals, sub, and 700W amp. Just replaced most of that four months ago with latest, the DNX995S, which supports Android Auto and much more. Big improvement in the tech, seven years, as one might expect. Replaced the Focals, too, as they were sounding a bit blown out. $4K with labor, and Phase II is a powered far smaller sub (8"), by Kenwood. Also two more front Focals, total of six. Plus a Kenwood amp upgrade to 1000W. Bet it's going to be another $1.5-2K. Their modern Excelon series truly sound excellent and they support FLACs too. They upped their game lots on audio quality, going from "pretty good" to "superb" these days.

They seem to be best of the lot, and I've thrown in with them to my reasonable satisfaction mostly because they are in bed with Garmin, too. In dash GPS units some could argue are going obsolete, but it displays so much helpful data I like it. Android Auto is a new product and will get there eventually, of that I am certain. Works fine wirelessly on my Pixel. Other phones have trouble, they say. Guess their carriers should upgrade the Android version more often.

Further, through some trickery it's hooked into my Tacoma's other systems to display tons more diagnostic information: tire pressure by wheel, from the TPMS. And much more. All that data was there, but just needed to be exposed. My steering wheel controls now work again, I missed them for a long time.

Front hi-def camera is nice, too, if there's an incident. I'm looking into backup cams. Kenwood supports both on the DNX995S. Backing up my Tacoma is a nightmare due to difficult depth perception, could use some help.

Lot of other cool features, too. Kenwood gets it "mostly" right, which means: best of a bad lot. On Amazon, 70% of reviewers gave 4 or 5/5 starts, but 30% 3 or lower, too. Take that as you will.

I assume that was the question, "How well in general does Kenwood's auto ecosystem function?" Not quite sure from the few quoted words above, but WTH: someone with half a brain may find my comments of-use.

Old 02-20-2019, 12:11 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
kenwood head units are some of the best on the market, and yes there is a difference even today. some of the cheap units cant handle the heat generated by internal amplifiers, mostly because they use amps that are too powerful to get a higher sound quality.

Old 02-20-2019, 12:50 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
Dang there are different tiers when it comes to audio best bet is to check the model number since all brands offer entry level mid range all the way up to professional high end "audiophile" competition systems.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:44 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Dang there are different tiers when it comes to audio best bet is to check the model number since all brands offer entry level mid range all the way up to professional high end "audiophile" competition systems.
Most folks don't get or comprehend that part of the question.

I don't buy any used car with an aftermarket radio. Too many variables as to how good or bad the wiring is.
Were the wires soldered or just used electrical tape or whatever.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:47 AM

17,308 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Most folks don't get or comprehend that part of the question.

I don't buy any used car with an aftermarket radio. Too many variables as to how good or bad the wiring is.
Were the wires soldered or just used electrical tape or whatever.
That seems excessive. Rather simple to just pull it out and correct that if need be.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:02 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
Just changing speakers may make no difference at all. It depends on the head unit(radio) that is putting out the signal and in how much power. If the vehicle is a Ford, they are noted for lousy head units. Changing speakers buys you nothing but a lighter wallet. You would have to change the entire system out to get decent sound. Kenwood in my opinion is the best you can buy for the money you spend. The Kenwoods are pretty much the same with the differences being the features of the unit. Some will have Bluetooth, some won't, for an example. Assuming a low cost unit in that used car, it's probably a much better unit than what the car came with. The only issue I've ever had with a Kenwood is with the removable units or a slide out where you can remove the entire unit by lifting a handle and pulling it out of the dash. That allows you to take the radio inside at night and keeps someone from breaking into the car to steal your radio. Not many of those around anymore though. But I wouldn't go buy a car just because it had a Kenwood in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive