Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 03:59 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,056,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Mercedes and BMW have nothing on the routine costs of my Ferraris. And if a major assembly in my Bentley goes, like an engine? I could buy a new E-class Mercedes for the cost of a replacement Bentley engine.
The 6.75 litre motor is just about the most stout motor made today! I wouldn't sweat that one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 04:00 PM

4,556 posts, read 3,754,316 times
How are the recent maintenance costs for Jaguar and Alfa Romeo? Their entry level sedans, Jag XE and the Gulia, are becoming more popular and see many more on the road. I hope the Brits and Italians have increased reliability for more mainstream cars.

Some expensive German cars are much more reliable even though the maintenance costs are very high. I am impressed with Porsche, especially the Macan.

Old 05-22-2018, 04:13 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,249,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
"According to YourMechanic.com, a BMW or Mercedes-Benz is the costliest to repair, and Toyotas and Hondas the least. It isn't foreign cars that are costly to repair ... it's luxury cars with expensive equipment."

If you buy these new then who cares. You are rich. But not a good idea for the average Joe or Jane who buys these used.
On the plus side, those foreign luxury cars depreciate rapidly. So if you know what you're doing and plan to learn the ins and outs, you can pick up a $90,000 car with not all that many miles for $20,000 or so.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:05 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Toyota anything. My brother is a Toyota freak. For what he spends every year keeping his Toyota crap on the street he could buy a new Ford and never have to fix anything, just keep buying new Fords every 3 years. How crappy can a truck get when the steering box fails? He's had to replace his in his Tacoma twice now at $4800.00 a pop. Over $1,000 for universal joints....and the factory originals didn't even have 100,000 miles on them. For a factory muffler you have to replace the entire exhaust system. That's another $600.00. The truck only has 115,000 miles on it. His wifes 2016 Forerunner Limited 4x4 has more miles on the back of a wrecker than going down the hiway under its own power. I laugh every time I see him and of course, we have to take my Ford F150 cause his "superior" Toyota crap is either in the shop or doesn't run. When I talked with him yesterday, none of his Toyotas will start and run. Maybe one of these days he'll sober up and quit with the rice wine BS.
We've owned 5 Toyotas, a Sequoia and 4 4Runners. Total non-routine maintenance costs are less than $2,000. I'll stay with Toyota.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:54 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Toyota anything. My brother is a Toyota freak. For what he spends every year keeping his Toyota crap on the street he could buy a new Ford and never have to fix anything, just keep buying new Fords every 3 years. How crappy can a truck get when the steering box fails? He's had to replace his in his Tacoma twice now at $4800.00 a pop. Over $1,000 for universal joints....and the factory originals didn't even have 100,000 miles on them. For a factory muffler you have to replace the entire exhaust system. That's another $600.00. The truck only has 115,000 miles on it. His wifes 2016 Forerunner Limited 4x4 has more miles on the back of a wrecker than going down the hiway under its own power. I laugh every time I see him and of course, we have to take my Ford F150 cause his "superior" Toyota crap is either in the shop or doesn't run. When I talked with him yesterday, none of his Toyotas will start and run. Maybe one of these days he'll sober up and quit with the rice wine BS.
Wait what? How the hell can a steering box cost 2400 to R&R? Twice? $1000 for u joints I believe it. I had to take my Dodge service truck in and wrote a check for $250 to replace it. Company check. The only reason I took it in was because I couldn’t lift the truck. It was a 1 ton with a full service bed. I didn’t want to be under it.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:26 PM

3,319 posts, read 2,339,713 times
My old Z3 has been pretty cheap to maintain. Granted, I've only had it for two years and only drive it about once a week.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:07 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
This entire article is just is a plug for Toyota trying to change perception of them. I wonder who paid for it. Which car is the most expensive to maintain? The one that is abused the most.
Link doesn't work anymore. lol I think it is fake news anyway. Been driving German cars for years and never had any real problems. Last Audi I owned had 155K miles on it and it still drove as new. Never put much of anything in it other than oil and normal wear parts like tires and brakes. Sold it for a good chunk of change even with that many miles on it. I do think Audi is really great these days. Way back Audi wasn't, but now they are really super cars. Mercedes went through some bad years, but it seems they are coming back a bit now. BMW has lost their way. Shame.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:49 AM

93 posts, read 63,312 times
Quote:
We've been over this one before. This guys hates all things Toyota. We get it.

Tacomas don't have steering boxes. They have a rack and it's $280 for a rebuilt factory rack or $600 for a brand new one from Toyota. Installation is an hours worth of labor as it's hanging under the truck in plain site one you remove the skid plate. I was quoted as the dealer wanted to replace the entire rack instead of just swapping ball joints. Replacement exhaust is $188.00 and about an hours worth of your time if you know how to use a wrench. I know this first hand as I just replaced it on my 2000 Tacoma with 298K miles and counting.

Anyway. Historically speaking Toyota and Honda's have the lowest cost of ownership while German brands and jaguar are the highest. Newer american cars fall somewhere in between.

On the German car thing. A buddy bought a 2001 M5 to flip with 88K miles on it back in 2010. The previous owner was with meticulous about maintenance and record keeping. Looking over the maintenance receipts he had a touch over $33K in repair receipts for a 9 yr old car with 88K miles.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:12 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,720,391 times
Read that as ''coolest cars to repair''

Old 05-23-2018, 11:38 AM

455 posts, read 598,356 times
My Dad's low-mileage 2004 Mercedes SL500 convertible.

Went into the shop last month under warranty. Car has roughly 40K miles on it. He bought it from Carmax, he used to work for Carmax, so he knew better and bought the extended warranty. Warranty company made sure to get direct quote from the Mercedes dealer for all of the work as they were gonna balk. Nope, all work verified by the MB techs.

Trunk release mechanism, seat bladders, motor mounts, suspension issues, all needed to be fixed or replaced.

Grand total: $16,800

He paid $1200 out of pocket because he wanted the brakes done The car is an absolute joy to drive and a rocket ship.

Truestorymeme.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive