Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2018, 01:03 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Your bladder tends to dictate the range of a car.
I can empty my bladder in less than a minute. I'd prefer to then be back on the road, not wasting another 29 minutes. Or worse 30 minutes for the first guy to get done charging, then another 30 for mine. https://transportevolved.com/2015/12...perfect-storm/

Try reading something other than propaganda every now and then.

Old 06-06-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
They will. Back to the early 20th century. "They will never put those gasoline stations all over the country".
Back to the early 20th century the government didn't need to subsidize car ownership. It sold itself. See the difference?

Old 06-06-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
I think pushing EV right now is a folly. We're not there yet technologically. Great, there's development in the works. But people are buy cars now, and when they see that range with uncertainties in charging, the higher initial price, and all the other drawbacks, $3/gallon doesn't seem that bad. And they will remember all those drawbacks.

What we should be doing is making more hybrids. I'm thinking of getting a hybrid (plug in maybe?). If more cars went to a hybrid drivetrain, we could reduce our fossil fuel usage without drastically altering people's lifestyle.
Exactly. The entire EV fad is just distracting from technology that can already readily integrate with our current infrastructure with little to no drawbacks.

What EV fanboys don't realize is that solving an environmental problem that was created by industry, by creating an entire new industry does not fix the environment it makes it worse.

Old 06-06-2018, 02:28 PM

9,421 posts, read 11,170,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
He is not an auto or energy expert, but is an EV fan so be cautious with his predictions.

Even though electric vehicles are great the issues of batteries, recharging, and electricity generation / distribution make the big picture more complicated.

Don't count out IC transportation too soon.
I looked him up. He's a "thought leader." Well, thank Gawd for that! These guys live in the intellectual heights where there is very little oxygen, and it shows.

My SOP list for the dumbest barsturds on the planet goes something like this: Kollij Perfesserz; Intellectuals; think tank geeks; one-brain-cell kids protesting against "guns"; and now, thought leaders.

Thanks Mr. Seba, you can join the other arrogant clueless elites who are so able to accurately predict the future. algore comes to mind.

But it's a good living, he gets paid to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I’ve been hearing this for 10 years. I’m still waiting for the Segway to become a predominate way of transportation like I was promised.
Your Segway, which came to market in 2001, will gladly take you over to your electric flying car, which should be ready to take off sometime around 2222 if Popular Mekanix has anything to say about it.

Personal Transportation That Simply Moves You | Segway

Old 06-06-2018, 02:39 PM

5,342 posts, read 14,142,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
I looked him up. He's a "thought leader." Well, thank Gawd for that! These guys live in the intellectual heights where there is very little oxygen, and it shows.

My SOP list for the dumbest barsturds on the planet goes something like this: Kollij Perfesserz; Intellectuals; think tank geeks; one-brain-cell kids protesting against "guns"; and now, thought leaders.

Thanks Mr. Seba, you can join the other arrogant clueless elites who are so able to accurately predict the future. algore comes to mind.

Your Segway, which came to market in 2001, will gladly take you over to your electric flying car, which should be ready to take off sometime around 2222 if Popular Mekanix has anything to say about it.

+1 great post.

Old 06-06-2018, 02:54 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,189,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I think you have to look at Norway as the example. They've had a 300% tax on fuel based cars for several years. It's only this year that more than 50% of new cars sold were electric, and even after that, they're barely over 10% of all cars on the road. We're a generation or two away, barring some catastrophic event or electrical storage miracle.
300%? That is ridiculous.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post

Segway... the electric car of walking.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:48 PM

4,709 posts, read 5,065,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
The obvious thing to do is just update existing gas stations with car chargers as well and charge by the kilowatt or whatever.
That is what is happening.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Try reading something other than propaganda every now and then.
Try getting into the real world.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
We're a generation or two away, barring some catastrophic event or electrical storage miracle.
More like 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive