Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 10:36 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,762,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
While you had a “loss of use” of your car you were given a vehicle to drive so you had no real loss. They are replacing your engine so where is the problem. You can’t lemon law the car in this instance as they are attempting to fix the issue. I don’t see why you’re looking to sue because the manufacturer is doing everything to make the issue right and fix your problem. You have incurred no loss in this case

Now if you said they told you no were not reoair8ng and you’re paying for the rental car I can see going the lawyer way. In this case I really don’t see why you’re going to a lawyer. I mean it’s frustrating to not have your car but financially you’re not being hurt. Your payment would have to be paid regardless. If you wrecked the car you would still need to make your payment.
Well according to the consultation I had, my case (if I decide to hire him) would be fairly simple compared to most because my situation falls under all accordance’s of the lemon law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 10:54 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,995,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
That’s the thing, the dealership hasn’t been vary accommodating. They kept my car for a week and let it sit on the lot without even looking at it. It took me going down there and driving it till it started making the engine noises, which was only around 5 minutes of driving. Then to get updates, I have to call them and be on hold for ten minutes. They never call me.
How do you know they didn't look at it? Just because they aren't actively looking at it when you pull up doesn't mean they aren't looking at it. As for updates, what do you want? Do you want them calling you daily to say, "Engine is still on order". Generally, they will call you when the status has changed. No sense in calling you when nothing has changed. Again, they gave you a loaner so you aren't truly out anything.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:22 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,576,544 times
Quote:
The car is worth around $15,000 privately sold.
so if the engine costs 5 grand, lets say.
and they fly in a team of field engineers (at least 2) from south korea or cali ($500 each).
a months stay hotel ($100 per day per person).
meals.
1 month salary to install new engine.

makes more sense to give you a new $15,000 car and c.p.o. the old one at their leizure (fix it for $5,000 and sell it for $10,000).

Old 06-18-2018, 11:35 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Well according to the consultation I had, my case (if I decide to hire him) would be fairly simple compared to most because my situation falls under all accordance’s of the lemon law.
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...ars-30107.html

If it falls under all the requirements for your state then go hire a lawyer and lemon law the car. From your description it doesn’t seem like you had the required amount of attempted repairs for the same issue. But maybe I read and misunderstood your post
I had a friend lemon law a Ford and later a Dodge. He said it was a pita both times

Old 06-18-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
How do you know they didn't look at it? Just because they aren't actively looking at it when you pull up doesn't mean they aren't looking at it. As for updates, what do you want? Do you want them calling you daily to say, "Engine is still on order". Generally, they will call you when the status has changed. No sense in calling you when nothing has changed. Again, they gave you a loaner so you aren't truly out anything.
Well heres the thing. The first week I dropped it off to them the noises could be heard. My service advisor and a technician heard it. Then, nearly a week later I get a phone call saying they couldn’t hear the noises and said for me to just pick up the car. At that point I drove down there and had the head technician take a test drive with me. It only took five minutes OR LESS, for the engine noises to appear. To me, that suggests that they didn’t even touch my car. For a whole week! For a week it probably just sat there in the lot and nobody touched it. If they really put half an ounce of effort into looking into my car, they would have heard those noises without me having to point it out. I mean, my service advisor AND a technician both confirmed the noises on the day I drove it in. My service advisor was real good at keeping me up to date, daily, of the progress, but then all of a sudden they no longer hear the engine noises and tell me “well, we’ll just have to wait until the noises get worse so we can find them”. At that point, I called Hyundai corporate and got them involved. They had a field engineer come out. He confirmed the noises and relayed the information back to corporate. My service advisor was real good about daily updates, but after the first week, he stopped calling and I had to call. I let it go for nearly two weeks until I finally called him for an update. As for being out anything? I’m out gas I guess. I filled the tank on my hybrid once a month. I’ve put more gas in the loaner car in the past 4 weeks than I had with my hybrid in four months! But, whatever.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...ars-30107.html

If it falls under all the requirements for your state then go hire a lawyer and lemon law the car. From your description it doesn’t seem like you had the required amount of attempted repairs for the same issue. But maybe I read and misunderstood your post
I had a friend lemon law a Ford and later a Dodge. He said it was a pita both times
It’s not only the amount of repairs but also the amount of time. It’s considered a lemon if the car is under 2 years old (yup) under 25,000 miles (yup. First time I brought it in for this issue my car was at 15,000 miles) or car has had a cumulative 30 days in the repair facility for the same issues (yup. One week the first time and 4 weeks the second time) or, the vehicle is in the shop more than 4 times for the same issue. My car hasn’t been in the shop four times, but it has been in there 30 days. It qualifies.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:52 AM

612 posts, read 1,513,889 times
It's similar for me too. My Hyundai elantra was making noise during engine startup. Took it to the dealership and they told me that engine would need to be replaced and that would take about a month. This was in mid-feb. It's mid-jan and I still don't have updates on my car. I kept asking them and all they would tell me that the parts are in back order and when Hyundai would send them the parts they would fix it.

I contacted Hyundai last week and they got back to me saying the parts should be there this week and then the dealership will take their time to fix. It took almost 4 months to hear that the parts might be here now and not sure how much of their sweet time will dealership take to fix my car.

Since my car was under warranty, they did provide me a rental car for free, but I have been paying rental car's insurance for all these months.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:53 AM

24,500 posts, read 17,239,538 times
Quote:
Supposedly they brought field engineers in to look at my car. I don’t know how much of that I can believe though. I don’t have confidence in them anymore because of how long it is taking to complete.

My wife and I used to live on an island and our relatively new heating system went down. The local guy couldn't fix it so the company flew an expert in and he couldn't fix it either so we ended up getting a new system under warranty.

Stuff like that does happen.

It is frustrating to think that if they could diagnose the car in a few days that a new engine should be a matter of a few weeks at most and then a few days to put it in.

On the bright side you do have a loaner.

I once knew a guy that had a Tacoma that was part of the frame recall. He didn't have his truck for 3 months as they fixed it, they gave him a mini van to use and being a carpenter he had all kinds of wood and tools in that loaner and really beat it up.

Maybe your new engine is on the slow boat from Korea and it is taking the scenic way?

Have you been calling them every few days for updates?

Old 06-18-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimisticStar View Post
It's similar for me too. My Hyundai elantra was making noise during engine startup. Took it to the dealership and they told me that engine would need to be replaced and that would take about a month. This was in mid-feb. It's mid-jan and I still don't have updates on my car. I kept asking them and all they would tell me that the parts are in back order and when Hyundai would send them the parts they would fix it.

I contacted Hyundai last week and they got back to me saying the parts should be there this week and then the dealership will take their time to fix. It took almost 4 months to hear that the parts might be here now and not sure how much of their sweet time will dealership take to fix my car.

Since my car was under warranty, they did provide me a rental car for free, but I have been paying rental car's insurance for all these months.
Holy smokes! 4 months?! That’s crazy!

Old 06-18-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
My wife and I used to live on an island and our relatively new heating system went down. The local guy couldn't fix it so the company flew an expert in and he couldn't fix it either so we ended up getting a new system under warranty.

Stuff like that does happen.

It is frustrating to think that if they could diagnose the car in a few days that a new engine should be a matter of a few weeks at most and then a few days to put it in.

On the bright side you do have a loaner.

I once knew a guy that had a Tacoma that was part of the frame recall. He didn't have his truck for 3 months as they fixed it, they gave him a mini van to use and being a carpenter he had all kinds of wood and tools in that loaner and really beat it up.

Maybe your new engine is on the slow boat from Korea and it is taking the scenic way?

Have you been calling them every few days for updates?
Yea I know. Stuff happens. You are right though, at least I have a loaner car. I call them every couple days for updates. The service advisor used to call me daily, but hasn’t called at all in a couple weeks. I’ve been initiating the calls and they will return them when I leave messages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive