Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 05:53 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,773,787 times

Advertisements

I’m not sure if this is the appropriate area to post my question. I was going back and forth between here and the Personal Finance areas. Anyway, on to my question. Mods, move it if you need to.

I purchased a 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid in July of ‘16. The car is great! Fun to drive with nearly 200hp and I average in between 50-60mpg on good days. Bad days are around 45-50mpg. Last year it developed a noise upon initial startup. It was like a high pitched whining noise. I brought it to the dealership, this was late 2017. The dealership had it for a week and said they couldn’t find the issue. Fast forward to March, my car developed another engine noise. This one was a rattling noise coming from the engine. I brought it in May 23rd. This coming Wednesday, June 20, the car will had been at the dealership for a month. Hyundai corporate is telling me they are replacing the engine because while they can hear both noises, they can’t fix it. Luckily for me the dealership gave me a loaner car to use. I appreciate the loaner car, but I miss MY car. I have a family vacation coming up next week. A road trip to San Diego. I intended on driving my car, but I’m not confident that the dealership will have it done in time. Which is a bummer. I could take the loaner car, but it’s smaller and gets lower gas mileage. Plus, I WANT MY DANG CAR BACK!

I had a consultation with a consumer law attorney last week. I was advised that I could take advantage of the lemon law (dealer buyback) or request a cash compensation from Hyundai. I’m only interested in getting Hyundai to cover last months car payment. The attorney also said that if I was to hire him, we would go after attorney fees (which are 100% recoverable in this case) and one of the two options above. Should I just contact Hyundai and request them refund me the amount I paid for last months payment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 05:59 AM
KCZ

4,690 posts, read 3,704,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
...I had a consultation with a consumer law attorney last week. I was advised that I could take advantage of the lemon law (dealer buyback) or request a cash compensation from Hyundai. I’m only interested in getting Hyundai to cover last months car payment. The attorney also said that if I was to hire him, we would go after attorney fees (which are 100% recoverable in this case) and one of the two options above. Should I just contact Hyundai and request them refund me the amount I paid for last months payment?

Why would you only want last month's car payment when you don't have your car? Either go for the buyback now and then get a car you want, or wait until you get your car back and then go after your monthly car payments, because it looks like you'll be out more than one. Giving up your rights now to a dealer buyback puts you at the mercy of the dealership and waiting until they fix your car at their convenience.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:10 AM

20,213 posts, read 9,125,717 times
Move forward with the attorney.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:11 AM

11,557 posts, read 53,292,171 times
everything depends upon the automotive consumer products laws of the state you reside in as the consumer laws vary so widely on these matters.

your lawyer is the lead person in advising you what your specific options are at this time. Be aware that just because your state laws may allow for your reasonable legal costs to be repaid, that doesn't mean that a court will award them.

from my perspective, Hyundai has already set up pretty reasonable accommodation/compensation for you in two ways: 1) they're replacing the engine, and 2) they're providing you with a loaner car.

That the loaner car isn't an identical model to your car so you're not getting the exact same use and value of the car is on the order of splitting hairs about your loss of use of your car. Compared to most posters with unresolved issues with a motor vehicle on these forums, I'd say you're getting much better treatment than a lot of folk with a problematic car.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
everything depends upon the automotive consumer products laws of the state you reside in as the consumer laws vary so widely on these matters.

your lawyer is the lead person in advising you what your specific options are at this time. Be aware that just because your state laws may allow for your reasonable legal costs to be repaid, that doesn't mean that a court will award them.

from my perspective, Hyundai has already set up pretty reasonable accommodation/compensation for you in two ways: 1) they're replacing the engine, and 2) they're providing you with a loaner car.

That the loaner car isn't an identical model to your car so you're not getting the exact same use and value of the car is on the order of splitting hairs about your loss of use of your car. Compared to most posters with unresolved issues with a motor vehicle on these forums, I'd say you're getting much better treatment than a lot of folk with a problematic car.
Yes, you are right. I really don’t want to hire an attorney either. The whole process just seems stressful and I’d rather avoid it.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Why would you only want last month's car payment when you don't have your car? Either go for the buyback now and then get a car you want, or wait until you get your car back and then go after your monthly car payments, because it looks like you'll be out more than one. Giving up your rights now to a dealer buyback puts you at the mercy of the dealership and waiting until they fix your car at their convenience.
I’m not looking to start a legal war with Hyundai. I just want one months compensation for being out of my vehicle. But as another poster suggested, I should just be content with the remedies Hyundai is giving me now.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:22 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,498,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
I’m not sure if this is the appropriate area to post my question. I was going back and forth between here and the Personal Finance areas. Anyway, on to my question. Mods, move it if you need to.

I purchased a 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid in July of ‘16. The car is great! Fun to drive with nearly 200hp and I average in between 50-60mpg on good days. Bad days are around 45-50mpg. Last year it developed a noise upon initial startup. It was like a high pitched whining noise. I brought it to the dealership, this was late 2017. The dealership had it for a week and said they couldn’t find the issue. Fast forward to March, my car developed another engine noise. This one was a rattling noise coming from the engine. I brought it in May 23rd. This coming Wednesday, June 20, the car will had been at the dealership for a month. Hyundai corporate is telling me they are replacing the engine because while they can hear both noises, they can’t fix it. Luckily for me the dealership gave me a loaner car to use. I appreciate the loaner car, but I miss MY car. I have a family vacation coming up next week. A road trip to San Diego. I intended on driving my car, but I’m not confident that the dealership will have it done in time. Which is a bummer. I could take the loaner car, but it’s smaller and gets lower gas mileage. Plus, I WANT MY DANG CAR BACK!

I had a consultation with a consumer law attorney last week. I was advised that I could take advantage of the lemon law (dealer buyback) or request a cash compensation from Hyundai. I’m only interested in getting Hyundai to cover last months car payment. The attorney also said that if I was to hire him, we would go after attorney fees (which are 100% recoverable in this case) and one of the two options above. Should I just contact Hyundai and request them refund me the amount I paid for last months payment?
I would take advantage of the lemon law and get another car. If your getting rattling or knocking sounds coming from the engine, that is not good news.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I would take advantage of the lemon law and get another car. If your getting rattling or knocking sounds coming from the engine, that is not good news.
I don’t know. My credit isn’t all that great right now. I currently have a 2% APR with my current car. Trying to get another one right now would leave me in a pretty bad APR percentage. That’s why I’m not too interested in a dealer buyback.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:54 AM

24,637 posts, read 17,375,530 times
Well if they are willing to replace the engine and they gave you a loaner car while they do that it sounds like you have won already. I'd say take the loaner on that vacation, putting the extra miles on that and when you get back your car might be ready to enjoy again.

I do think they should compensate you for the 1 month of payment that you are making on a car that you do not have.

The only thing that would bother me is if they do replace the engine I'd cross my fingers that they would have their best mechanic do it. You wouldn't want some hack getting at it. I wonder if when the new engine goes in if the warranty for it will start from that date/

Good luck.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:51 AM

3,321 posts, read 2,355,581 times
Is the car financed through Hyundai's financing arm or an outside lender?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive