Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 09:52 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times

Advertisements

Would you tip the people who fix your flat tire for free at Sam's Club or Costco?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 10:20 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Don't they get paid hourly?
At my Costco such svc doesn't exist...

Old 06-30-2018, 10:32 PM

Costco will not svc "strangers passing by".

Old 06-30-2018, 11:03 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times
Sam's Clubs fix flat tires for members free of charge. I thought Costco does the same. It's interesting that some of us wouldn't tip the employees who perform this job because they are already paid a wage. However, tipping restaurant workers, who are also paid a wage, is expected.

Old 06-30-2018, 11:18 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Sam's Clubs fix flat tires for members free of charge. I thought Costco does the same. It's interesting that some of us wouldn't tip the employees who perform this job because they are already paid a wage. However, tipping restaurant workers, who are also paid a wage, is expected.

dont forget that restaurant and bar employees are paid a different, and smaller, minimum wage. tisp are part of their pay.

Old 06-30-2018, 11:52 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Quote:

Tipping is a very strange tradition. Why some are expected to be paid and some are not is hard to figure out sometimes. All day long, I solve problems for customers, save them money, and teach them how to do certain things, and I do not expect , or get tipped. (occasionally a customer will try to hand me money, but I always thank them and refuse)

It is hard to know sometimes who you should tip and who you do not have to tip.

Old 06-30-2018, 11:52 PM

Quote:
I seriously think Americans are obsessed with typping. We (not me, though) want to tip everyone, even those who get paid pretty good wages for work they do. We tip people for doing their job. Not even for doing an excellent job, but for basics. Some of those people make way more money some of us make, but we insist to give them a tip anyway. It's so strange...
There are just few jobs people do for tips, but we still want to tip everyone else too.
Tire workers at Costco get paid hourly wage, if they are busy or not. The "free" service is already paid by customers one way or another (included in tire price, included in warranty, part of the membership, even if not spelled out that way). There is nothing free in it. NOTHING. Every business focuses on making money - not giving anything for free.
The "free" whatever anyone is advertising isn't something that the CEO's or business owners pay from their own pocket, or losing their money on it.
The "free" water incl. serving and washing the glass, or free condiments at the fast food store, or any other freebie is also included in the business expenses and the customers are paying for it.
Not sure why some people still think there is anything free to have, and for that "free" stuff they are obligated or expected to pay.

BTW:
Costco Wholesale Tire Installer salary is on average about ~$30K a year.

Note: Some Costco locations have Tire Service, and they do fix a flat tire for "free", but this service is only available to those who bought those tires from them. So, the "free" service was already included in price...

Old 06-30-2018, 11:55 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
I just had a customer tell me he did some work for a guy, and when the job was over, they called him on the phone and asked him to stop by. They thanked him for the nice work he did, and then handed him an envelope full of $20 bills.............$4000.00 worth ! Now that is a tip !

Some people just have class.

Old 07-01-2018, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I just had a customer tell me he did some work for a guy, and when the job was over, they called him on the phone and asked him to stop by. They thanked him for the nice work he did, and then handed him an envelope full of $20 bills.............$4000.00 worth ! Now that is a tip !

Some people just have class.
For some it looks like having class, while for others it looks like... a nonsense.
Whatever this guy did for the customer was obviously worth for him to give extra money. But that's not something we all should be obligated to do, or face to be called a jerk or worse.
If someone wants to give money away, that's fine - it's their money, but others should not be shamed or ridiculed because they don't tip where it's not necessary.
We are breeding this nonsense, and we all are paying for it.

Here is a great article about tips and tipping:
(and it's really hard not to agree with it)
https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation...ons-not-to-tip

Last edited by elnina; 07-01-2018 at 12:42 AM..

Old 07-01-2018, 01:03 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
So now the cheapskates get to call everyone else stupid?

Actually, it appears that "stupidity" has somehow softened itself to the nongrammatic "a nonsense."

Feel free to voice your opinion, even link to another's poorly written tirade but make no mistake about it, Americans are used to the tipping norm and widely favor it. Over the past decade we have seen countless restaurants, chain and otherwise, make a big publicity splash in announcing their "new" no-tipping policy only to reverse that decision within months. Why would that happen if the link was "really hard not to agree with?"

It would happen because customers get better service using the tipping convention and the servers are happier earning their tips rather than being automatons with equal pay for unequal work. When tips were eliminated prices were raised, but not all of the excess food charge went to the servers but it all came out of the pockets of the customers - and then some! That's right, the customers paid more for the food and that also increased the sales tax. In a place where sales tax is eight percent and twenty percent was added to the cost in lieu of a tip the customer ended up paying a total of $129.60 for a hundred dollars worth of food. "A nonsense" for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive