Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 03:02 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teakboat View Post
I can't imagine not having one.
Me either. I have a boat, a travel trailer and a side by side. 10 years of remodel hauling stuff from home depot. I haul up to the mt dozens of times a years dragging up deer stands and bringing home cords of firewood. We are constantly hauling greenery to the dump. Someone is always borrowing it to move too.

I commute a whopping 8 miles and get 20 mpg out of a 7.3 oil burner F350. My carbon foot print is much smaller than everyone commuting 75 miles one way in rush hour.

Old 06-26-2018, 03:27 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,866,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
A dead deer in a trunk? Those ticks will love you
Strap it on the trunk

Deer hunting without a truck

Old 06-26-2018, 03:34 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,095,180 times
Yes, you can live your life doing things the hard way. Do you also eschew indoor plumbing because you'd rather have an outhouse at your house?

Convenience is not a dirty word.

Old 06-26-2018, 03:40 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,428,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Strap it on the trunk

And they call people with pickups red necks what in the heck is this red neck at its best now that funny. Funny they had to have their hunting buddies take it to his car with his pick up because that Toyota could not make it into deer camp. And hope you don’t get a flat then your really screwed lol lol. I bet the wife likes the way you use the family car.

Old 06-26-2018, 03:49 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Strap it on the trunk

You know, that was the old school way except you tied it to one of the front fenders.

State hunting departments (DNR) frown on that now because it tends to upset a segment of the population.

I had somebody walk by my truck in front of the house one day a couple years ago when I had some loose goose decoys in the back. The woman went nuts. She thought they were dead geese.

Old 06-26-2018, 03:51 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,526,325 times
I've found as my life changes so do my vehicles

Retired in 2003 bought a '04 K-2500 for the toy hauler

Ten years later health issues prevented my desert adventures
sold off the toy's but thought I still needed a Truck

Fours years down the road, only 6,600 miles, well
I want to get back into some more easy Off-roading

Two weeks after that I need a truck, so picked one up at
an Estate Auction, needs a few things but it's a one
owner w/94k act miles

Like I posted before it's the only tool that earns it's keep

For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:04 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,774,511 times
A lot of us buy midsize to large SUVs, and Pickups due to one fact. Those little dinky things they call cars today, have shrunk down to being so uncomfortable we cannot get in and out of them, without being a contortionist. My old body, actually gets great pain trying to do so. And forget the back seat, there is not enough room for anything but children. At 6 '2" tall with a long body, I cannot sit up to drive them.

With the Pickup, or SUV we have running boards on both, and just step on the running board and swing my body into the vehicle. They are as easy to get into as the older larger cars were accessible.

If you want to carry several people, they are able to do so with comfort. Our Explorer will carry 7 people in comfort. Modern pickups carry 5 adults in comfort.

POLICE CARS ARE NOW BECOMING THE FORD EXPLORER, AND PICKUPS. Cars are getting so small, police departments are buying explorers, and full size crew cab pickups, as the small sedans they build today, will not hold their equipment and have a back seat to carry people to jail, etc. Two wheel drive in southern snow free areas, and AWD the rest of the country. And with the ground clearance, if they have to get off road conditions, they can drive the vehicle, not have to walk into areas they often need to be able to reach when outside cities. According to latest figures, it has already became the modern police car and over 50% of all police cars in the 50 biggest cities are the Police Explorer vehicle. And as the others cars reach their time to change cars, the figure is going up fast. In addition a lot of Police Responder Pickups are already in service and a lot more are coming.

Black White Police Explorer Vehicles - Bing images

And the police model pickup.

https://www.ford.com/f150policeresponder/

The police are switching to SUVs and Pickups as is the American Public.

The sale of standard cars is going down month after month, and the SUVs and Pickup sales are going up every month. Ford is just the first company, that is no longer going to be building any car but the Mustang, and changing their assembly lines to Pickups, and SUVs. Ford and GM had already given up building mini vans, and Dodge still build some in Canada but don't expect that to keep up much longer.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:04 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,428,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
I've found as my life changes so do my vehicles

Retired in 2003 bought a '04 K-2500 for the toy hauler

Ten years later health issues prevented my desert adventures
sold off the toy's but thought I still needed a Truck

Fours years down the road, only 6,600 miles, well
I want to get back into some more easy Off-roading

Two weeks after that I need a truck, so picked one up at
an Estate Auction, needs a few things but it's a one
owner w/94k act miles

Like I posted before it's the only tool that earns it's keep

For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.
I like everyone one of them especially the the estate auction one nic old Ford.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:54 PM

7,026 posts, read 4,903,157 times
I'm a woman who loved having small trucks. If I can swing it, I'd like to get a used Ranger in the future. I put a camper shell on the back of my old truck and used it for bringing things home from flea markets, camping, transporting the dogs, bringing my telescope to star parties, and living in when I needed to. My truck also sat a little higher than a car, so after the Loma Prieta quake, I was able to go over some ripped up roads other cars held back from.

I remember when I had a place practically in downtown San Jose, where all you could hear was the freeway. On Sunday mornings I would take breakfast and a newspaper up to an overlook in the Santa Cruz Mtns. I'd back the truck in, put up the back door of the camper shell, hop in the back, and have about an hour or two of peace and quiet, just relaxing with the paper, overlooking the entire area.

Can't do that with a car.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:13 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,267,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
A lot of us buy midsize to large SUVs, and Pickups due to one fact. Those little dinky things they call cars today, have shrunk down to being so uncomfortable we cannot get in and out of them, without being a contortionist.
Now that's just comical. Compare a 70s Civic to the current one. 139" long, 52" high and 1500lbs up to 182" long, 57" high and a whopping 3,000lbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive